SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Upright rows for SIDE deltoids...?

As far as I know, there is no compound exercise that directly works side delts. Military and Arnold Presses place stress on the front delts (side delts secondarily but not to full potential), and upright rows are also said to work the front delts. However, when doing upright rows, the movement of the upper arms appears to be the same as when doing Lateral Raises (which primarily hit side delts), expecially if you keep the bar closer to the body when pulling it up, or bending the body forward a little as when doing Lateral Raises. So could this be the most powerful exercise to work the side deltoids?

ThemoLife Alter Ego SupaNatural's Avatar
    SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tend to feel the stress most in the medial and rear delts actually.

SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it's just interesting to me why it's always concidered an exercise for front delts

fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) fitnessdiva has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The real question should be whether or not you truly need to work the side delts in isolation, or even have any kind of side delt-specific exercise. Generally, if you are working the presses and rows/pullups hard enough, the three heads of the delts should all grow with progressive poundages. Side laterals, especially done on a nautilus machine for the rotary resistance, can help if this is a problem area, although it must be taken into consideration of the program as a whole as you don't want to overtrain and make the problem worse.

Upright rows can cause a problem in the rotator cuff around the shoulder joint in many people, which is very painful. This is not an exercise I would recommend doing, especially if discomfort in the joint occurs.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    side delts arn't a real problem for me and I don't do much in the way of side delt work
    rear delts on the other hand....

the thing is my front delts overpower side and rear, and since the front delts get hit a lot by all kinds of presses, I think I need a specific exercise for side delts. And I can't think of any except side laterals (I was hoping to find a compound one)

Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big bad Rob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I dunno but I the only thing which really gets my delts pumped up and looking wider is seated presses behind the neck done with a wide grip. I know they are considered to cause more injures than a lot of movements but as longer as you warm up properly and use a moderate weight (at least 8 reps) you should be ok. Try it.
    [A muscular guy enters the room]

Radio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Radio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Radio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you do your upright rows with a shoulder width grip or wider, it will place more stress on the side delts. And is probably the best movement for the side delts. The wider grip means you cant pull the bar up as high but you will feel it burn in your side delts.
    Think about it. Try it for your self.

labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Radio
    If you do your upright rows with a shoulder width grip or wider, it will place more stress on the side delts. And is probably the best movement for the side delts. The wider grip means you cant pull the bar up as high but you will feel it burn in your side delts.
    Think about it. Try it for your self.
    Exactly right. If this movement hurts your rotator cuffs, then try doing the movement with dumbbells.

MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I prefer upright rows to lateral raises, but admit that a big overhead press will build all the shoulder you'll ever need.

To the person who said that rear-delts was a problem ... work on your strict barbell row, and your rear delts will grow fine. If you're working them will a variety of exercises, rows, chins, BO rear lateral raises, etc ... then you may be doing more harm than good.

I've never seen a person row 315 pounds with ease that didn't have big rear delts. It's probably just a coincidence.

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    cool
    I'll try and row 315 with ease and see what's up....
    it'll take probubly 3 years
    but you know...this post will still be active right?

labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000) labrad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by Kane Fan
    cool
    Good one. LMAO.

MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Heh Heh. Everyone likes a smart-ass, especially me.

You'd be surprised how fast you can add weight to the big lifts, when you cut out the fluff (iso stuff). Most people stop training with just the basics, because it can get boring and repetitive, but not because it's not effective.

"315 with ease" will take most people 2-3 years, sure. How many people do you know can row 315 with ease? same here, not many.

I'd bet those that do don't have any problems with back thickness or rear-delt develpoment.

I'm a good smartass
    dont ever leave mrb )

I an row 95 lbs with ease
    I hope
    do you think 1arm rows with dbs are as good as bb rows

marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) marjoh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A GREAT way to feel *exactly* how a given movement is affecting a muscle group is to do a bunch of reps with low weight. For example, grab 10 lb db's and do 20 or more side raises. You will feel your side delts burn like a motherfuc|<er. I've done it. It kills. In the military the bastard drill instructors used to make us hold our arms out and do small and big circles for like 15 minutes... our side delts got so painful we couldn't lift our arms for DAYS.

That said, upright rows will not have the same effect on your side delts. The burn you will feel the most will be your traps and rear delts. AND, as someone else mentioned, upright rows have got a lot of bad press because a lot of lifters have got impingement syndrome from doing them (rotator cuff and biceps tendon rub to create MASSIVE PAIN .. yes, I had it and have to have a cortizone shot for the pain)

I like the pull up/rows idea the best here.

By the way, there is a really sweet bar made now for upright rows. It causes you to hold your hands in such a position that they don't rotate and annoy the cuff in the shoulder.

"Don't touch him, they might call a foul.." Magic Johnson to Larry Bird, who was standing next to Michael Jordan at an event honoring the three.

auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auschwitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Kane Fan View Post
    cool
    it's been 12 years, how'd it go?

BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGuyMassive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by auschwitz View Post
    it's been 12 years, how'd it go?
    It's been 15 months and 2 days, what now?

redman0324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it's funny how people continue to condem and critique great exercises because of what they've read and heard instead of trying them with moderation initially to find if they are able to utilize the movements safely and efficiently. Folks miss out on a lot of great things in life due to listening to others' opinions. Experiment, live life, just be smart about it.

dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000) dgoyena216 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't do upright rows. I have not talked to a single physical therapist that can legitimately recommend doing them for anyone.
    Current Program: 5-3-1
    e1RMs:
    D: 295 S: 275 B: 250 Press: 115

Burst/Wedge fracture L1 May 3, 2013 - no surgery
    Medial and Lateral Collateral Ligament tears right elbow March 2014
    - All Non-lifting related injuries -

teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500) teocinte is not very helpful. (-500)
    Strong bump