Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Back and Shoulders on same day?

I'm thinking of starting next weeks schedule with back n shoulders. Is it bad to hit them both on one day? Will I get lessout of one or the other if I do it that way?
    He who has a sharp tongue- soon cuts his own throat. He who talks without thinking- runs more risks than he who thinks without talking. Silence is the voice of the convinced; loudness is the voice of those who want to convince themselves.

Some men might succeed because they're destined to, but I will succeed because I am determined to.

You be content with being just a man.
    Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NJMuscle219 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i wouldnt do it, your back and shoulder are two huge muscle groups, i used to do them together but when i switched it up i got much better gains

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tripp Doogan View Post
    I'm thinking of starting next weeks schedule with back n shoulders. Is it bad to hit them both on one day? Will I get lessout of one or the other if I do it that way?
    Its okay I guess.

Its kind of a lot to do in a day though.

What do your other days look like?

brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jked4life View Post
    Its okay I guess.

you still talk to him after giving you that sweet sig?
    see ya at 225

jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000) jked4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by brad71983 View Post
    you still talk to him after giving you that sweet sig?
    Lol, you sound like a chick

Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10) Smallbigsam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wouldnt do shoulder and back on the same day. i would lack energie to hit your second must group correctly... that just me.
    What your routine for that day?

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i think it might be ok just as long as you dont have chest or biceps the day before or after
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tripp Doogan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its okay I guess.

I havent decided what to do with the rest, I was tryna figure out how to start monday off as a new week cycle. Every three weeks I change which muscle groups I hit throughout the week. Like the last 3 weeks were:
    Mon: chest, shoulders
    Tue: rest
    Wed: back, legs
    Thur: rest
    Fri: bi's, tri's
    and I hit abs thru the week.

I figure since fri. I end it wit bi's and tri's, I should start with back and shoulders. But I dont know. Like ol'boy said they two big muscle groups and I'm thinkin it might take away from the second one. But then again it could be a good change.

Would back and chest be better?
    He who has a sharp tongue- soon cuts his own throat. He who talks without thinking- runs more risks than he who thinks without talking. Silence is the voice of the convinced; loudness is the voice of those who want to convince themselves.

Some men might succeed because they're destined to, but I will succeed because I am determined to.

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

I havent decided what to do with the rest, I was tryna figure out how to start monday off as a new week cycle. Every three weeks I change which muscle groups I hit throughout the week. Like the last 3 weeks were:
    Mon: chest, shoulders
    Tue: rest
    Wed: back, legs
    Thur: rest
    Fri: bi's, tri's
    and I hit abs thru the week.

I figure since fri. I end it wit bi's and tri's, I should start with back and shoulders. But I dont know. Like ol'boy said they two big muscle groups and I'm thinkin it might take away from the second one. But then again it could be a good change.

Would back and chest be better?
    I'd pair a large muscle group with a smaller one. Here's my split

Chest + Biceps
    Hamstrings + Shoulders
    Back + Triceps
    Quads + Shoulders

I like this split because the arms and shoulders get work twice a week, once direct and once indirect. (back day works biceps indirectly, chest day works triceps indirectly).

Just a suggestion to pair a small muscle group with a large one.

Originally Posted by Smallbigsam View Post
    What your routine for that day?
    I havent lined it up yet.
    I would probly hit Back first, if I do that.
    BACK:
    Barbell Row
    Elevated Row
    Lat Pulldown
    T-Bar Row
    One Arm DB Row
    Straight Arm Cable Pulldown
    Deadlift

SHOULDER:
    Lying Incline Reverse DB Flyes
    One Arm DB Raise
    Military Press
    EZ Bar Chin Raise
    Face Pull
    Shrug

(something like that)

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ryan314 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs/Shoulders

Best split IMO, as it makes the most sense. If you group it this way, you are entirely isolating only 2 muscle groups per workout. If you grouped Biceps and Triceps on the same day, you would also secondarily be working your chest and back as well.

Of course, everyone is different and everyone has different preferences.

I'd pair a large muscle group with a smaller one. Here's my split

Chest + Biceps
    Hamstrings + Shoulders
    Back + Triceps
    Quads + Shoulders

I like this split because the arms and shoulders get work twice a week, once direct and once indirect. (back day works biceps indirectly, chest day works triceps indirectly).

Just a suggestion to pair a small muscle group with a large one.
    So you go 4 times a week. (I've only been going 3)
    Do you also change your program up, like I was talkin about? Or is that what you stick with?

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I havent lined it up yet.
    I would probly hit Back first, if I do that.
    BACK:
    Barbell Row
    Elevated Row
    Lat Pulldown
    T-Bar Row
    One Arm DB Row
    Straight Arm Cable Pulldown
    Deadlift

SHOULDER:
    Lying Incline Reverse DB Flyes
    One Arm DB Raise
    Military Press
    EZ Bar Chin Raise
    Face Pull
    Shrug

(something like that)
    lol hell no. dont do that in one workout dude. wayyyy overkill. the only thing i could see working with all that is a fast paced circuit workout with little to no rest, keeping the weight light. go from one exercise to the next with like 30 seconds rest.. and do the whole circuit 3 times if u can handle it

So you go 4 times a week. (I've only been going 3)
    Do you also change your program up, like I was talkin about? Or is that what you stick with?
    I usually stick with a program for a few months, then switch it up. You want to give a program enough time to work, but not so long that it gets stale.

For a three day a week split, my favorite would be

Push+Biceps/Pull+ Triceps/Legs

Originally Posted by Ryan314 View Post
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Legs/Shoulders

Best split IMO, as it makes the most sense. If you group it this way, you are entirely isolating only 2 muscle groups per workout. If you grouped Biceps and Triceps on the same day, you would also secondarily be working your chest and back as well.

Of course, everyone is different and everyone has different preferences.
    Yep, good stuff I've also done it this way

chest/bi , back/tri , shoulder/leg

Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    lol hell no. dont do that in one workout dude. wayyyy overkill. the only thing i could see working with all that is a fast paced circuit workout with little to no rest, keeping the weight light. go from one exercise to the next with like 30 seconds rest.. and do the whole circuit 3 times if u can handle it
    Do the whole thing 3 times? I've never done anything like that. I'm always down to try some challenging programs out in the gym. You say go light on the weight though?

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    here's my split

chest and abs a.m.. cardio p.m.
    back a.m.. cardio p.m.
    no weights. abs and cardio p.m.
    bi's and tri's a.m.. cardio p.m.
    shoulders and calves and abs a.m.. cardio p.m.
    quads and hams and abs a.m.. cardio p.m.
    rest.. nothing at all

workin on single digit bodyfat

Do the whole thing 3 times? I've never done anything like that. I'm always down to try some challenging programs out in the gym. You say go light on the weight though?
    yes! aint no way you're gonna be able to do a circuit like that with heavy weights. try it out tomorrow with lighter weights and see how you like it... do 10-12 reps for each exercise. it will kick your ass! another intense workout you can do is.. do the same thing except instead of sitting and waiting 30 seconds before the next exercise, do 25-30 sit ups in between each exercise or jump rope for 30 seconds in between.

yes! aint no way you're gonna be able to do a circuit like that with heavy weights. try it out tomorrow with lighter weights and see how you like it... do 10-12 reps for each exercise. it will kick your ass! another intense workout you can do is.. do the same thing except instead of sitting and waiting 30 seconds before the next exercise, do 25-30 sit ups in between each exercise or jump rope for 30 seconds in between.
    man, if I do any cardio, I'm liable to disapear...lol
    (You seen my weight compared to my height?)

I'm just tryin to build mass.... MASSIVE MASS.
    I'm down to try a hard hittin exercise like that (minus the jump rope).

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

well you know you just gotta eat like a pig if u wanna gain mass. load up on chicken, steak, potatoes, rice, pb, olive oil, beans, eggs. every 2 hours stuff it in. focus on major lifts like squats, bench, deads, military press, dips

well you know you just gotta eat like a pig if u wanna gain mass. load up on chicken, steak, potatoes, rice, pb, olive oil, beans, eggs. every 2 hours stuff it in. focus on major lifts like squats, bench, deads, military press, dips
    True sh*t.
    This is my 6th week back at it (after a year out of the gym). I was already hittin it hard for a beginning phase, but I'm "driven". I'm tryin to get real serious with it. Thanks for the good posts.

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Baby_Hulk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do Back and Shoulders on the same day, but not during the same session. I train Back at 5:30 in the morning, then come back at 5:30 in the evening to do Shoulders. I do this twice a week, too. My results have been fantastic. In June, I was repping 30lb DBs for 10 reps... it's November right now, and I'm repping 90lb DBs for 10 reps, and not all that far away from hitting the 95s.

Originally Posted by Baby_Hulk View Post
    I do Back and Shoulders on the same day, but not during the same session. I train Back at 5:30 in the morning, then come back at 5:30 in the evening to do Shoulders. I do this twice a week, too. My results have been fantastic. In June, I was repping 30lb DBs for 10 reps... it's November right now, and I'm repping 90lb DBs for 10 reps, and not all that far away from hitting the 95s.
    Really? Thats good!
    I wouldn't be able to make it to the gym twice in one day.

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rugger10to15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also do a upper body push and pull split so with back I also do upright rows and shrugs and i forget the name but its like a cable cross above your head and you end up looking like a W.

Originally Posted by rugger10to15 View Post
    I also do a upper body push and pull split so with back I also do upright rows and shrugs and i forget the name but its like a cable cross above your head and you end up looking like a W.
    I havent tried it above the head. I might give that a shot.

Me, I'm a man of HONOR.

try this workout for shoulders.. (for each exercise do 4 sets of reps til failure)

seated dumbbell press
    behind the neck standing barbell press
    front raises
    side raises
    bent over rear delt raises

here's my back routine.. (same deal with reps and sets as above)

deadlifts
    lat pulldown with palms facing away from you (wide grip)
    bent over t-bar rows
    pull downs with palms facing you (closer grip)

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You naysayers crack me up.

I put together my split with a back/shoulder day a few years ago, actually, and I still think it is a great way to separate your workouts. Granted, it is the longest one I do, but it solves the never-ending conundrum of when to do traps.

The best method I devised is to first to one exercise each for the lats, middle back, and traps. Then move to a front shoulder...then go back to a lat exercise.

Then do a medial delt exercise, and then middle back.

Then do a rear delt exercise.

Finally, do giant sets, with one exercise for lats, medial delts, and traps, alternating.
    Time To Re-Schedule

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NJMuscle219 View Post
    i wouldnt do it, your back and shoulder are two huge muscle groups, i used to do them together but when i switched it up i got much better gains
    x2

but if you do it, then I'd reccommend doing back before delts

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    try this workout for shoulders.. (for each exercise do 4 sets of reps til failure)

here's my back routine.. (same deal with reps and sets as above)

deadlifts
    lat pulldown with palms facing away from you (wide grip)
    bent over t-bar rows
    pull downs with palms facing you (closer grip)
    My new favorite back routine....you think if I slip in seated rows as well I'd be good to go?

Also, is this one day or do you also do back/shoulders?
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Tripp, this is OT, but if i were you i'd seriously cut down on the amount of exercises and focus on the big compound exercises. try moving deadlift to the start of the workout, see how you feel. given your huge volume of work, i fear you have been overtraining. read a few hargainer/ecto articles and you'll get the message: lift hard and heavy on compound exercises, get plenty of rest, and EAT EAT EAT. good luck to you

background: when i started lifting seriously a year or so ago i was 6'0 and 140-145lbs, which is probably what you were or slightly more. i've gotten to 6'0 and 180 lbs which while not my end goal, is probably somewhere you'd like to be as a short-term goal.