TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Daily macros? Meal macros?

Still confused about diet... Currently I plan my macros by The Zone, but many people here told me, and use themselves, the 40p/c40/20f macros... What are these macros exactly? % of kcal, or actual grams (the Zone macros actually mean grams). Also, is 40p/40c/20f whatever daily macros, or macros per meal? How much does it matter, as long as the daily total evens out? Even tho I'm doing the Zone, my last meal of the day is mainly protein...

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50) ATCGal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use the 40/40/20 ratio myself...

So I eat 1650 calories a day, and 40% of my calories come from protein, 40% come from carbs, and 20% of my cals come from fats.

I personally don't focus on the ratios per meal, as long as I know I'm eating a portion of protein, a portion of carbs, and some healthy fats. I focus more on the daily total.

Once you get it figured out, it's really easy. And then you can just go by grams once you get the hang of it. I know how many grams of protein, grams of carbs, and grams of fat to eat each day which will give me my 40/40/20 (give or take a bit, depending on the foods).

The easiest way for me was to use fitday. I wouldn't trust their nutritional info though. I always typed in my own nutrition info (straight from the label of whatever I was eating). And then fitday will figure out the percentages for you...

I really hope I haven't confused you too much!!
    "A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time - pills or stairs."
    ~ Joan Welsh

Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Npeart is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TurbulentFluid View Post
    Still confused about diet... Currently I plan my macros by The Zone, but many people here told me, and use themselves, the 40p/c40/20f macros... What are these macros exactly? % of kcal, or actual grams (the Zone macros actually mean grams). Also, is 40p/40c/20f whatever daily macros, or macros per meal? How much does it matter, as long as the daily total evens out? Even tho I'm doing the Zone, my last meal of the day is mainly protein...
    40/40/20 means 40%/40%/20% of total daily calories comes from protein, carbs and healthy fats, yes.

On a bulk, I'd prefer it be 30/50/20 on a cut I'd prefer it were 50/30/20, but for maintenance 40/40/20 seems about right for most.
    Idiotic and inconsequential people are still idiotic and inconsequential.

Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kaetli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TurbulentFluid View Post
    You can calculate your macros by meal or by daily total. Many people who are cutting for competition will do macros by meals but if your just dieting and dont' want to go through all the trouble then just make sure you get some of all three macros in each meal. Also having your last meal as mainly protein is a good thing. Theoretically, complex carbs are in the morning to give you energy through out the day or around your workout.
    ~Kat~ I cardio for beer.

Dieting without alcohol is like reality. And who needs that?

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanx everyone! So 40/40/20 % as long as I get it in during the day, should be "it"... I also do most of my carbs in the morning / early afternoon, except on w/o days (I usually work out somewhere between 16:00 - 18:00)...

Originally Posted by ATCGal View Post
    The easiest way for me was to use fitday. I wouldn't trust their nutritional info though. I always typed in my own nutrition info (straight from the label of whatever I was eating). And then fitday will figure out the percentages for you...
    Yeah I do the same thing. I'm trying to figure all this out... I'm on 1550 - 1600 kcal now... How did you calculate your optimum kcal? I'm trying to lose some fat; FitDay estimates my kcal spendage at about 2200 on workout and cardio days and about 1750 on rest days... What would be optimal kcal intake? Also, g of protein? ATM I'm 167/62 kg/20 - 21% bf... some calcs estimate me at about 120, which seems low, some say 135 - 160, which seems a helluva range... my daily average is about 130. Is that doable?

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg

jake69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Npeart View Post
    40/40/20 means 40%/40%/20% of total daily calories comes from protein, carbs and healthy fats, yes.

On a bulk, I'd prefer it be 30/50/20 on a cut I'd prefer it were 50/30/20, but for maintenance 40/40/20 seems about right for most.

dude this has helped me loads! cheers
    Train, Eat, Sleep, Repeat!

teefeelee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    40/40/20, daily macros, for me too. I'm cutting and its been working out great for me!

For me, I try to keep the carbs towards the beginning of the day (pre and post work out, keeps me well fueled), until lunch.... while for dinner I usually try to cut them out since they're not as necessary when I'm sleeping and such.

I'm keeping around 1400-1500cals a day. Its not too much, I wish it could be more, but I'm seeing good losses right now. Hopefully will up the cals later. Your personal intake depends on a lot of variables. You should check out the "total metabolism calculator" in the other nutrition forum to help figure out how much you should be eating; its a bit complicated but really worth it! Takes into account almost everything.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm not a fan of 40/40/20 while on a deficit. Most of the time you'll have low energy or feel hungry and it's because the fats are too low.

I suggest 40/30/30, 45/30/25, 45/25/30, 50/25/25, etc...

As long as your calories are on target you can eat carbs anytime of the day.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Original thread is from 2007...

But my opinion on things: FROM HERE

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    Originally Posted by Elorabird View Post
    Hi All,

Question 1: Does anyone beleive what the Zone Diet is pumping? As far as I understand its philosophy, it basically recommends that your carb, protein and fat ratios pretty much line up each meal, in such a way that it controll insulin and thus resulting hormone fluctuations responsible for fat storage etc. The crux is when you calculate your calorie allotment and always come up recommended to eat under 1500 cals. I tried it an it recommended I eat 1100 cals per day (my BMR is over 1300/day). The protein reco was low too.

Question 2: (This is the one I really wan't to know your thoughts on) Fat Wars (author: Brad J. King) recommends and even pays kudos to the Zone Diet, and his macros rec's are close to the same but overall cals come out a bit higher (still lower than calculations found withing this website and many others). Still protein rec's come out to be between 20% - 30% of overall macro's - not the 40% you usually see with many body building diets. His standard Macro rec is: 30%protein, 30%fats and 40% carbs with last meal of the day carbs coming only from fibrous veg.

Your 2 cents please?
    I am not going to get into the 'pseudoscience' behind the diets over and above a general comment that it is all a bit of a bull <- the diets work because they:
    1. control calories
    2. control hunger
    3. increase protein
    (4. often increase vegetable intake)
    ^
    Do that and you generally get good results with 95% of the population.
    If you add in a:
    5. decreased carb content

And you also get better results than higher carb diets when dealing with insulin resistant individuals (which covers about 95% of today's overweight individuals too).

Insulin is NOT a 'carb only' substrate - it is also released to variable degrees with proteins (eg: BCAA/ whey/ dairy => highly insulinogenic, more so than some things like fruit or starches). Additionally, you don't NEED insulin to store fat. FAT being a typical example ->> it doesn't require insulin for storage and passes freely over membranes in and out of fat cells. Thus you can fill all your baby fat cells very effectively if you were to simply eat in excess of your requirements.

With regards to 'diet ratio's' and whether or not it matters that you get '30%' or '40%' from protein ->> basically, it means didly squat. Additionally, most of the time 'bb diets' are far too high in protein anyway (you don't NEED 2 x total weight in lb in protein).... not only that, but why eat 'to a ratio'?? The % of calories consumed in protein doesn't determine what your body needs... Your protein requirement should be/ needs to be based on your lean mass, your physiological state (assisted/ juiced, growing, pregnant etc), your goals (to cut/ gain/ endurance), as well as your training style/ intensity and your overall calorie intake (lower cals/ higher protein).

^
    eg:
    if you were CUTTING at 1300 cals... 40% = 130g protein... which, if you were lean and active, is probably far too low.... So in that instance you would probably be better off with more than the 'recommended %'.
    if you were GAINING at 2300 cals... 40% = 230g protein... which, if your carb content was adequate, is going to be far in excess of your requirements. So less than the '40%' would be required.
    ^
    Generic formula are just that - generic.... And they often become useless when you add 'variables' to the equation.

Lastly - doesn't mean a thing taking carbs out of your last meal - >> it is, once again, a way to control calories.... In fact, I have always recommended carbs in the last meal of the day (usually fruit) when cutting.... This is especially for those who are training early the next morning... Reason being is that it helps to keep the liver/ body happy overnight and aids in energy/ training the next morning.

Registered User MusclestotheMax's Avatar
    MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MusclestotheMax has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

Great response thanks!

~Maxine
    DO NOT FEED THE BEAST......I am cutting fat ;-)

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post

Oh crap I didn't even catch that...lol
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

jaggernaut1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

macros

im getting frustrated on finding the perfect balance for 270 carbs 270 protein and 60 fats on a 2700cal cut. Can anyone give me a fresh perspective?

nehnice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy please help

I'm trying to give macro eating a shot for a change What's the most basic way to do ease into it ? It's so confusing to me .