Gemini29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Least 'gassy' vegetables, please??

Can you give me some suggestions on veggies that are the least likely to cause gas and bloat? I'm having some real difficulties here. I've had to cut all vegetables out of my diet because some of them were just killing me. I want to try adding a few back in to see if they're tolerable.

Thanks!

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Gemini29
    Can you give me some suggestions on veggies that are the least likely to cause gas and bloat? I'm having some real difficulties here. I've had to cut all vegetables out of my diet because some of them were just killing me. I want to try adding a few back in to see if they're tolerable.

Thanks!
    The ones MOST likely to cause bloat and gas are things such as broccoli and cauliflower as well as the sulfur containing things like onions and garlic.

Your best bet would be things that are higher in water content such as your eggplant, lettuce, cucumber, tomato (actually a fruit... but anyway), mushrooms and your leafy Asian green vegetables such as bok choy, choi sum, chinese cabbage.

Leek is very good for the intestines and may also be ok and you might also be able to get away with spinach.

ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm just curious, how does one go about cooking bok choy and chinese cabbage? I eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower and I think this could be also contributing to my bloating feeling...

JAmanda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey I also eat alot of broccoli and cauliflower, like a head of broccoli a day!!! I seemed to have got used to it- dont find that I get too bloated, but in saying that when I am away from home and not having the veges on hand I feel that i loose weight firstly in my stomach- so maybe this is just from the water or whatever causes the bloat.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can eat them raw (esp the baby bok choy)... But you can also steam them, add them to stir-fries, add them to omelettes, zap them in the microwave (very briefly)...

Anything you can do to spinach you can do with these.

They go well with typical asian flavours like lemon, lime, ginger, chilli, oyster sauce etc etc.

You could check out some of the recipe sites around eg: epicurious, fatfree.com for some ideas...

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    tomato (actually a fruit... but anyway
    don't tell me . . . i noticed they are pretty 'high' in carbs. but a fruit???i'd die without them
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShannonC_77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can eat them raw (esp the baby bok choy)... But you can also steam them, add them to stir-fries, add them to omelettes, zap them in the microwave (very briefly)...

Anything you can do to spinach you can do with these.

They go well with typical asian flavours like lemon, lime, ginger, chilli, oyster sauce etc etc.

You could check out some of the recipe sites around eg: epicurious, fatfree.com for some ideas...
    Thanks for the reply!! I think i'm going to buy some of these today. Are the calorie values similar for that of broccoli and cauliflower? I usually stir fry my veggies so this might be a good change.

Originally Posted by Miranda
    don't tell me . . . i noticed they are pretty 'high' in carbs. but a fruit???i'd die without them
    Why does changing the name of them from a 'vegetable' to a 'fruit' suddenly make them off limits!?

That is just silly! And it is feeding into those 'BB myths' about foods. A lot of these things are really stupid and are not going to help you in the least...

Tomato's are FINE and very good for you. You should certainly continue to eat them.

Originally Posted by ShannonC_77
    Thanks for the reply!! I think i'm going to buy some of these today. Are the calorie values similar for that of broccoli and cauliflower? I usually stir fry my veggies so this might be a good change.
    They are really calorie light...

100g of raw chinese cabbage:
    13 cals,
    2.2g carbs (1g fibre)
    1.5g protein
    0.2g fat

100g cooked chinese broccoli:
    22 cals
    3.8g carbs (2.5g fibre)
    1.1g protein
    0.7g fats

100g raw bok choy:
    17 cals
    3g carbs (1g fibre)
    1g protein
    0.2g fat

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why does changing the name of them from a 'vegetable' to a 'fruit' suddenly make them off limits!?

That is just silly! And it is feeding into those 'BB myths' about foods. A lot of these things are really stupid and are not going to help you in the least...

Tomato's are FINE and very good for you. You should certainly continue to eat them.
    i wasn't going to stop eating them. tomatoes are my lifeline. i eat about 4-5 daily. i know going nuts about them being fruit IS silly .
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."