Boxing11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxing11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxing11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is there any substitute for squats and deadlifts???

because of lower back pain I cant do either of these exercises, just wanted to know if there is anything comparable. I really like doing both these (especially squats, noticed a big difference in my legs) but I just cant because of my lower back.

Believe me my form is perfect, Im not overloading, and I already went through a 6 week rehibilitation on my lower back, but as soon as I throw these 2 exercises back into my routine the pain comes back.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only thing would be leg press, and maybe hack squats
    I don't know either lol

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can you do any standing work cause I would suggest the Front Squat as an alternative to the Back Squat, if not that then you can do Leg Presses (preferebly vertical if your gym has them). For Deadlifts I would suggest Bent-Over Rows, but if your back is a problem then do chins or T-Bar Rows.

Boxing11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxing11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boxing11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    The only thing would be leg press, and maybe hack squats
    it sucks but Im gonna have to take these 2 out of my routine, what do you think of DB squats or front barbell squats?

You're a tiger, ARRRRGH! GarethCheeseman's Avatar
    GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then you are using too much weight for recovery or not eating enough to recover afterwards

What kind of injury are you recovering from?
    "Yeah, and I'm a Dutchman"

Originally Posted by GoJu
    Can you do any standing work cause I would suggest the Front Squat as an alternative to the Back Squat, if not that then you can do Leg Presses (preferebly vertical if your gym has them). For Deadlifts I would suggest Bent-Over Rows, but if your back is a problem then do chins or T-Bar Rows.
    thanks alot, I already do chins and t-bar rows so I guess thats good, on front squats I wonder if my arrms will give in earlier than my legs???

Originally Posted by GarethCheeseman
    Then you are using too much weight for recovery or not eating enough to recover afterwards

What kind of injury are you recovering from?
    bad pinched nerve in my lower back. Please save me the using too much weight or not eating right. I started having problems again when I started squating only 225lbs and deadlifting not even that.

This was a bad injury I gave myself when I started lifting, and I just cant completely get rid of it.

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Boxing11
    bad pinched nerve in my lower back. Please save me the using too much weight or not eating right. I started having problems again when I started squating only 225lbs and deadlifting not even that.

This was a bad injury I gave myself when I started lifting, and I just cant completely get rid of it.

I had the same problem (it was a lower lumbar strain though, same effect) and I couldn't squat for a bit or deadlift. Once I got past the 300lb marker in deadlifts I would feel a sharp pain (I can deadlift close to 500). Had to start lighter, did light good mornings and back extenstions to get it better.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix
    I had the same problem (it was a lower lumbar strain though, same effect) and I couldn't squat for a bit or deadlift. Once I got past the 300lb marker in deadlifts I would feel a sharp pain (I can deadlift close to 500). Had to start lighter, did light good mornings and back extenstions to get it better.
    this has got to be one of the worst things to go through if you really enjoy BB'ing. Drivin me crazy. Heres my prob though I praticed form for a long time to make sure it was perfect, and I also did the same thing, back extensions and slowly,slowly moved up in weight, but as soon as I start gettin kinda heavy back comes the pain.

So I guess my question really is if I take out deadlifts and squats and subsitute them with other types of exercises do you think I can still get in just as good a workout.

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    this has got to be one of the worst things to go through if you really enjoy BB'ing. Drivin me crazy. Heres my prob though I praticed form for a long time to make sure it was perfect, and I also did the same thing, back extensions and slowly,slowly moved up in weight, but as soon as I start gettin kinda heavy back comes the pain.

So I guess my question really is if I take out deadlifts and squats and subsitute them with other types of exercises do you think I can still get in just as good a workout.

I agree, drove me nuts. Weird thing is, I did it doing a back row, getting set up. I could do back rows (bb style) next week with full weight, just not deadlifting.

As for your question, yes you can, just go full out when working out.
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    One legged leg press! I too have lower back pain that pisses me off. I can do squat and deadlift, but only with 135, so I just concentrate on form and full range of motions. But I can go heavy on one legged leg press without straining or stretching my lower back. I'm glad i started it

Originally Posted by Dark Phoenix
    I agree, drove me nuts. Weird thing is, I did it doing a back row, getting set up. I could do back rows (bb style) next week with full weight, just not deadlifting.

As for your question, yes you can, just go full out when working out.
    thanks bro, I think I'll leave these exercises out for a while then maybe try to add them in slowly again. Its been so long since I started liftin and had bad form that I dont even remember exactly what did it.

Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have serious lower back pain also. It feels real bad when Im sitting on a chair and try to lift my leg up. I don't have health insurance so I can't go to the doc to find out what's wrong. I don't plan on taking squats nor rack pulls out of my routine. My girlfriend thinks im going to paralyze myself by keep doing these exercises, but for some odd reason I don't feel the pain when im doing them.

Originally Posted by Apollo 13
    I have serious lower back pain also. It feels real bad when Im sitting on a chair and try to lift my leg up. I don't have health insurance so I can't go to the doc to find out what's wrong. I don't plan on taking squats nor rack pulls out of my routine. My girlfriend thinks im going to paralyze myself by keep doing these exercises, but for some odd reason I don't feel the pain when im doing them.
    23yrs old, you'll regret it if you keep it up.

Originally Posted by Apollo 13

You don't feel pain because your back loosens up while you are active. Does it feel alright while walking around?

Take some time off, or at least stop squatting and deadlifting till it is better. You won't lose anything really.
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

You're a tiger, ARRRRGH! GarethCheeseman's Avatar
    GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50) GarethCheeseman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

That is a lot of weight though still, maybe not what you used to be capable of but if you were begining weight lifting for the first time ever, would you start on that weight?

You need to slowly encourage the back to heal, I had an op on my stomach before I began weight lifting which has left a pretty big scar on my right side. This made doing any exercise involving being bent over quite tough, I started deadlifts on a mere 30kg while my core strengthened, and even now I've only tried picking up 80kg, which though barely taxing my back, is still gradually strengthening the weak point around my scar
    "Yeah, and I'm a Dutchman"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    because of lower back pain I cant do either of these exercises, just wanted to know if there is anything comparable. I really like doing both these (especially squats, noticed a big difference in my legs) but I just cant because of my lower back.

Believe me my form is perfect, Im not overloading, and I already went through a 6 week rehibilitation on my lower back, but as soon as I throw these 2 exercises back into my routine the pain comes back.

Though I think squats are necessary for MAXIMUM development and Deadlifts are a good exercise,

don't ruin your life and back by listening to some retards on BB.com tell you that you "have" to do them.

Listen to your body. Do what you want to get to your goals.

AdamW529 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamW529 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamW529 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel your pain man. I have a herniated disc in my lower back and it's been hell for my training. I can't do deadlifts or bent over rows, despite this my back is still coming along fine without them.

I used to could do squats fine when I was in the gym but the next morning I would not even be able to get out of bed. I've found that doing hacksquats does good and is a great alternative. Sometimes if I use light weight such as 135 for squats and just do slow negatives, get a good stretch and rom, I'll be alright. Try hacksquats, and really slow controlled leg extensions for your quads. For hams stick to leg curls and lightweight roman/stiff leg deadlifts.

For back, althought my injury prohibits me from doing deadlifts or bent over rows, my back is coming along great with just pull ups, seated rows, btn pull downs, and one arm db rows or seated neck pulls with the rope extension.

Take my word for it when I say, Do not try to work through the pain and think a little pain won't hurt you and it will be gone in a day or two. This was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my training. I learned quickly I would much rather have slightly smaller legs, be able to walk and enjoy daily life, than to have slightly bigger legs and be in constant, nagging pain in my lower back.

I did this when my back was hurting with squats at about 225. I kept going thinking it was just some minor pain and now my back hurts everyday, every minute. To be able to manage through the day I have to stretch it out fully each morning for about 20 minutes. My injury got so bad that simply reaching down to get the milk jug from my refrigerator was a taxing movement. Driving, Sitting in a chair, or even laying down for periods of time would cause a flare up.

Try the alternatives I gave, You'll still get good gains.
    220lbs

Aiming for 230-240 by next April

leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

slip discs & deadlifts

I was a fan of deadlifting until recently when i read about herniated discs a.k.a. slip discs..

the amount of pressure u put on ur lower back and the IV discs, even if u keep ur back straight as in wat people would call "good form", the pressure is still extremely great.

im now psychologically blocked from performing deadlifts due to this ..

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I had sciatica, pinched nerve (had numbness all along my pamls) and always have to watch my back. I found the first few weeks of doing deads my lower back was quite sore. I rested well, pyramided and eventually my nerves and lower back muscle got trained up. Always dbl check your form, it is amazing how a small adjustment can make to prevent injury and maximise effiency.

I am always cautious doing squats and deads but thesedays its rarely coming back and when it does it is very small and I simply either take 1 extra day break or lower the weight and RECHECK my form
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Though I think squats are necessary for MAXIMUM development and Deadlifts are a good exercise,

don't ruin your life and back by listening to some retards on BB.com tell you that you "have" to do them.

very true.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1

indeed this is what bb.ing is all about imo. it is not a one size fits all thing.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
    I've got their dip belt. Top notch stuff. They say the squat belt is good for 3,500lbs

PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50) PURE_ENERGY will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe you can do rear squats, since the pressure is mostly on your knees when doing them.

bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

legg presses, shrugs

sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10) sonick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hack squats and I'd try DB squats just to see if it works, but don't lift them off the ground (which is like a DB deadlift) when you start. if i concentrate on keeping upright enough those don't effect my lower back much.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    nothing replaces the whole movement, but u can do back and leg extensions as an alternative along with leg press
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Good mornings or Hyperextension and Lunges and Leg press would be best.

I'm willing to be you could do front squats without any back problems.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---