Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000)

Popping and cracking clavicle

Hi all, ive had impigement syndrome and shoulder tendonitis for almost the past 2 years, but (thank you god) now its pretty much gone. My left shoulder will never be the same, but i have resumed most exercices (cept flat bench and military press) without any pain. However, my left clavicle is often "cracky and poppy" sometimes after sets of whatever exercice (pretty much anything) if I roll my shoulder my clavicle will crunch. It also often happens when I wake up, getting gradually better after like 1 hour of waking up.

Theres pretty much no pain, but sometimes it feels weird...
    Any idea if this could be an indicator of anything and/or any way to solve it?
    ~460/~320/510 pr's

fun pr's
    deadlift 340 x 15
    squats 245 x 45

6' ~220

Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I pretty much have the same problem, the cracking and crunching with no pain. I do get a little rear delt soreness even when I layed off of working out. Not sure if thats from my back and rear delts being weaker than my front combined with my bad posture. How did you get through your shoulder bursitis because that's what i think i have. I have been icing it twice a day for 25 minutes each. I've been doing physical therapy with not a lot of volume and really light weights.

quakes8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    same thing here, no real pain but it feels awkward, especially when i do dumbell raises, it could be bone rubbing against bone, or possibly air getting between the two that causes it, but im not sure.

Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Brawny Man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by quakes8 View Post
    same thing here, no real pain but it feels awkward, especially when i do dumbell raises, it could be bone rubbing against bone, or possibly air getting between the two that causes it, but im not sure.
    Do you get yours at the top of the motion? Mine will pop when my arms are coming to a full extension on dumbbell bench press and shoulder press. It happens on almost every rep and I don't have any rotator cuff damage. I think it could be the tendons sliding along and get caught because the shoulder is inflammed. I have no idea though. No pain other than the constant soreness.

quakes8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah thats the same way, once it gets to the top it pops, grinds or w/e you wanna call it and then as soon as i go down. Ive never had any rotator cuff damage either so i dont know what it could be either.

Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000) Gr8Ape is just really nice. (+1000)
    Mince pops at the bottom of an incline bench press, and when I roll my shoulders
    ~460/~320/510 pr's

fun pr's
    deadlift 340 x 15
    squats 245 x 45

6' ~220

Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Workout dad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same pain, I feel it when I lift anything over my head. I've had an MRI and the dr. says no tears, just inflamation and tendonitis. According to a therapist it is the tendons popping off of each other. The therapist has me lifting light weights on it, because he said that I need to build the strength on it (ex. holding your arms in front of you like you are pouring milk out of jugs and lifting them up and to your sides.) Try that and see if it doesnt help you find the exact muscle that is causing you problems. If you feel the pain there I have a couple more exercises you can try.

Originally Posted by Workout dad View Post
    I have the same pain, I feel it when I lift anything over my head. I've had an MRI and the dr. says no tears, just inflamation and tendonitis. According to a therapist it is the tendons popping off of each other. The therapist has me lifting light weights on it, because he said that I need to build the strength on it (ex. holding your arms in front of you like you are pouring milk out of jugs and lifting them up and to your sides.) Try that and see if it doesnt help you find the exact muscle that is causing you problems. If you feel the pain there I have a couple more exercises you can try.
    Yeah, I thought it might of been the tendons. What exercises do you recommend because my physical therapy is just about over and it hasn't done much help. Thanks

spikedout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spikedout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spikedout has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I saw a sports therapist about this years ago, I always thought it was from baseball, but he told me that it is my first rib grinding/rubbing against my clavicle.. and thats what creates the pops/grinding noises. He said it was common and isnt sports related.
    May 15, 2007 --> 244lbs, 26% BF
    Sept 1, 2007 --> ____lbs, __% BF

Registered User Smells_Familiar's Avatar
    Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smells_Familiar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My left one does this where it contacts my chest. No pain and I've always thought it was probably common. Mine is agravated in the spring, summer, and fall. This is Disk Golf season you see, and I must toss dem disks.....
    Big Obstacles

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tendons rubbing is common cause when the popping first starts. After than the popping comes from the tendons rubbing on bone spurs. Do a search about Rotator Cuff stretches, make sure you have adequate shoulder flexability with no impingements and then structure a balanced internal/external rotation workout.

Originally Posted by JRT6 View Post
    Tendons rubbing is common cause when the popping first starts. After than the popping comes from the tendons rubbing on bone spurs. Do a search about Rotator Cuff stretches, make sure you have adequate shoulder flexability with no impingements and then structure a balanced internal/external rotation workout.
    I used to have impigement, and i am very flexible. Ive worked alot of my left rotator cuff, but i think it is still a little weaker than my right one....could this be the cause?
    ~460/~320/510 pr's

fun pr's
    deadlift 340 x 15
    squats 245 x 45

6' ~220

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In a word: Yes. I have the exact same problem. That is one of the things I wish I knew back when because I was allways ending my sets in failure with my left shoulder. My right one never ended in failure but was really having to overcompensate. What I do now is mostly floor presses on bench. Corner presses at the most for OHPing and a lot of external rotation exercises. I really try to avoid going to failure more than a set or two a session and I keep the volume way down.

I think flexabity is the key. As long as we are flexable the bone spurs will be kept in check a lot longer.