tippinonfofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tippinonfofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What happens to your body after working out for more than one hour?

I heard lifting for over a hour makes your body release this counter chemical that makes you be counter progressive. Anyone know the name of the chemical and how exactly it works with your body's chemistry? Also can I do cardio after lifting for a hour? So total time at the gym would be 1 hr...15 min?

outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50) outbreak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cortisol.
    I don't know much about it.
    I'll get this one, put it on my card
    I get frequent flyer mileage
    And a booklet of upgrades
    So next time I visit the third world
    I won't have to fly second class

Journal: currently doing westside for skinny bastards. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4009573

Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This is a big myth. Workout duration differs from individual to individual and depends on food intake, tolerance to higher volume etc.

Star Fleet Gym Manager startrek's Avatar
    startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's not a big myth. The principle is the same. It's just that some people might be okay for 1.5 hours, others for only 45 minutes.

Cortisol is a steroid, but it's not the kind you want. It's a catabolic steroid, which breaks down muscle, as opposed to anabolic steroids that build up muscle.

When you start working out, your body turns to several sources for energy: First blood sugar, then glycogen (sugar stored in body tissues), and finally to muscle itself. (You don't really burn fat when you're working out, because the conversion from fat to sugar is too inefficient to provide quick energy. Fat burning takes place over an extended period of time, not in a single workout.)

Basically, when your body runs out of blood sugar and glycogen, it sends the signal to release cortisol, and cortisol starts to break down your muscle tissue and coverting that into sugar. That's the point where you need to stop the workout and get some fast-digesting protein (like whey) and simple carbs into your system, to replenish what you've burned.

You can extend your useful workout time by having a whey-and-simple-carbs shake before your workout, too.

Do your cardio before you lift, as a warm-up. Then get your lifting done in the shortest reasonable time; for example, don't wait more than two minutes between sets, and preferably only 30 seconds or so. Not only does that higher intensity promote growth, but it makes your lifting a kind of cardio workout as well. But if you do cardio *after* lifting, you may go into a catabolic (muscle-degenerating) state, undoing the benefits of the lifting you did a few minutes earlier.

Another option is to do cardio and lifting at separate times of the day, or on separate days.

Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    doesnt ocrtisol make you lose hair?

ive noticed greater hairloss since i started working out.....

i cant make my lifting workouts less than 80 minutes.....what to do?

startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Originally Posted by Rammer
    doesnt ocrtisol make you lose hair?

ive noticed greater hairloss since i started working out.....

i cant make my lifting workouts less than 80 minutes.....what to do?
    Cortisol is a stress hormone, so yes, I would think you could lose some hair if you're produce a lot of cortisol. But then, testosterone causes male pattern baldness. So, hell...I guess you're just going to go bald, dude!

If you can't fit a workout into under an hour, I suspect you're trying to work too many body parts in one workout. What's your routine? If you do the usual (legs one day, back another day, chest another, arms another, etc.) then doing it in under an hour should be a breeze.

Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Steve_W is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by startrek
    It's not a big myth. The principle is the same. It's just that some people might be okay for 1.5 hours, others for only 45 minutes.

Cortisol is a steroid, but it's not the kind you want. It's a catabolic steroid, which breaks down muscle, as opposed to anabolic steroids that build up muscle.

When you start working out, your body turns to several sources for energy: First blood sugar, then glycogen (sugar stored in body tissues), and finally to muscle itself. (You don't really burn fat when you're working out, because the conversion from fat to sugar is too inefficient to provide quick energy. Fat burning takes place over an extended period of time, not in a single workout.)

Basically, when your body runs out of blood sugar and glycogen, it sends the signal to release cortisol, and cortisol starts to break down your muscle tissue and coverting that into sugar. That's the point where you need to stop the workout and get some fast-digesting protein (like whey) and simple carbs into your system, to replenish what you've burned.

You can extend your useful workout time by having a whey-and-simple-carbs shake before your workout, too.

Do your cardio before you lift, as a warm-up. Then get your lifting done in the shortest reasonable time; for example, don't wait more than two minutes between sets, and preferably only 30 seconds or so. Not only does that higher intensity promote growth, but it makes your lifting a kind of cardio workout as well. But if you do cardio *after* lifting, you may go into a catabolic (muscle-degenerating) state, undoing the benefits of the lifting you did a few minutes earlier.

Another option is to do cardio and lifting at separate times of the day, or on separate days.
    Umm yeah ok, congratulations. Typical oversimplified bodybuilding mythology. Because of posts like this is the reason why the smart people don't post on this board anymore.

Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Rammer is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

startrek

i do 2 body parts a day....

i do 4 sets per exerise and pretty heavy, so it takes ma bout 10 minutes total per exercise....

and since i do 2 body parts a day, and usually 7-8 exercises, thats 70-80 minutes.....

chest triceps

shoulders abs

back biceps

Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mythos219 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Rammer
    i do 2 body parts a day....

i do 4 sets per exerise and pretty heavy, so it takes ma bout 10 minutes total per exercise....

and since i do 2 body parts a day, and usually 7-8 exercises, thats 70-80 minutes.....

chest triceps

shoulders abs

back biceps
    I have a similar split as you and I get things done in an hour. My suggestion is to cut the rest time b/w sets - I rest for a minute b/w sets.
    "In The Dark Knight, Batman raises the stakes in his war on crime. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to dismantle the remaining criminal organizations that plague the city streets. The partnership proves to be effective, but they soon find themselves prey to a reign of chaos unleashed by a rising criminal mastermind known to the terrified citizens of Gotham as The Joker." - July 18, 2008

dedicated_1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    No cardio should be done post-workout... Pretty much always because of glucose.
    Dedication = Results

SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    THis is why i have a whey/carb source pre workout. I drink muscleade during my workout (mostly carbs, and little protein) and of course my post workout shake

29lbs down 30 more to go! wantstobeinshap's Avatar
    wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cortisol levels shoot up and at this time you should have a going away party for your hard earned muscle.

cheers

Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000) Coulaid is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you guys want some info on cortisol check out layne's training log on avants boards. He has alot of good info. His training is crazy!

tippinonfofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tippinonfofo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by startrek

what if you do cardio after the lifting, but under the one hour mark?

29lbs down 30 more to go! wantstobeinshap's Avatar
    wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50) wantstobeinshap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tippinonfofo
    what if you do cardio after the lifting, but under the one hour mark?
    there's no real time limit as to when cortisol will kick in...it's not like your body says "oh, its been an hour now...I better kick in and eat up his muscles" NO!...it totally depends on how your body reacts to all the workouts...generally, in average people it takes about 45min-and hour for cortisol to kick in after a hard strenuous training session and let me emphasize on Hard and strenuous.

regards

Originally Posted by Steve_W
    Umm yeah ok, congratulations. Typical oversimplified bodybuilding mythology. Because of posts like this is the reason why the smart people don't post on this board anymore.
    Umm yeah ok, congratulations. You think it's better to post smartass remarks than to post actual information.

hashk85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys, the gym i go to is about 20 min from my house and i dont thave a car so i ride bicycle. I workout for about 50 min and 20 min to get back home so all together its like 90 min. i have no choice but to do cardio (riding bicycle) before and after the workout. is this Ok for me? what can i eat or do to contorl the cortisol thing.

any help is appreacited

thankyou