hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50)

too much cardio (overtraining) a factor in high cholesterol??

Last year after my wife had her annual exam, her cholesterol was 270 (ldl 149) She freaked and we took a good look at what she was eating. We couldn’t find much that was that bad. She just had another physical and the bad cholesterol has gone up. We are at a loss. Her family has no history of high cholesterol (that we know of). I have heard however that over-training may be a factor. She does 1.5 hours of cardio 5-6 days per week in addition to weights. Has anyone heard of a correlation?

turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) turbos10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What does a typical days diet look like?

P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50) P01Shooter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd be willing to bet it is her diet. I'd say the most important thing is her fat intake. What fats does she consume? Eliminate margarine or anything similar and use straight up butter. Check the food you eat from cans or boxes for partially hydrogenated oils and eliminate them. Vegetable oils aren't particularly good for you either other than olive oil. I would supplement with fish oil for the omega 3's and epa/dha. Studies have shown that the fish oil can reduce ldl levels 25-30% while increasing hdl levels. This will also help with any risks with CHD since this is the main concern when it comes to cholesterol levels.

Her doctor will try and prescribe a statin drug for your wife which I am not a fan of after reading some articles I forgot to bookmark. Statins do have risks and do not improve overall mortality rates. Have her watch her food intake for the bad oils, consume 6-8 grams of fish oil, and take something like green tea pills, as well as a multi-vitamin, which will help with free radical damage the high levels of cholesterol may be trying to fix. This should work well as studies have shown. Red yeast rice is something to consider as well but I would hold off untill after the results from the fish oil supplementation have come in. Her main focus: fix her omega 6:3 ratios.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040701/133.html

hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardasslardass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Her diet varies quite a bit but usually consists of; protein bars, baby carrots for lunch, mixed nuts, chicken breasts used in various ways.... I only cook with olive oil. We might have a steak from time to time. One problem area might be chocolate. She does eat more than she should, which might explain the amount of cardio. We do take multis daily also.

Originally Posted by P01Shooter
    Her main focus: fix her omega 6:3 ratios.
    I'll look into that as well.

Dimensionally Gifted KingOfChaos's Avatar
    KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KingOfChaos has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hardasslardass
    I'll look into that as well.
    She might also want to up her grams of soluble fiber per day. My cholesterol and blood pressure are extremely low for someone of my size now and its because I consume a lot of oatmeal everyday.
    http://www.alanaragon.com/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    http://www.leangains.com/

frantzfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starvation / Hoarding and an increase in cholesterol

Originally Posted by hardasslardass View Post
    Last year after my wife had her annual exam, her cholesterol was 270 (ldl 149) She freaked and we took a good look at what she was eating. We couldn’t find much that was that bad. She just had another physical and the bad cholesterol has gone up. We are at a loss. Her family has no history of high cholesterol (that we know of). I have heard however that over-training may be a factor. She does 1.5 hours of cardio 5-6 days per week in addition to weights. Has anyone heard of a correlation?
    High cholesterol as been shown to correlate with hoarding. Her caloric demand vs caloric intake coupled with her possible insufficient recovery between sessions may have her body in a constant state of starvation, survival, hoarding.

If the deficit between caloric intake and demand are too great, with all her training, there is a high probability that her increasing cholesterol is a result of hoarding.
    PatDaddy

Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lifelong high cholesterol checking in.

She needs to:
    -limit saturated fats as much as possible. Even butter is not good as the trans fat in it adds up (contrary to advice above).
    -eat no trans fats/hydrogenated oils whatsoever
    -eat nuts, olive oil, fish (all contain omega 3's which increases good cholesterol which helps to lower LDL cholesterol)
    -make sure she is getting 25g of fibre a day and consume soluble fibre which is found in produce. Psyllium fibre is also great but should be consumed before meals for best cholesterol lowering effects
    -not sure what her weight is like but losing weight may also help
    -the only meats she should be eating are the leanest cuts of chicken and turkey (without skin). Fish like salmon, mackerel, trout and sardines are also good and do eat the skin.

My doc told me that a small population of people can do everything right and their body just makes more cholesterol than it should.