bt_impaler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Questions about NY Barbell power rack (and a few about the powertec as well)

I've read extensively through all the forum discussions on the different power racks on the market, and I've narrowed it down to a select few. Company wise - it's between New York Barbells and Powertec - although I've been leaning toward NY Barbells.

Powertec - I've seen enough online that I feel pretty confident that I know what I'm gonna get.

As far as the NY Barbells equipment goes, they have 3 different Power Racks configurations that I've been teetering between.

The one I initially was going to invest in is their cheapest rack available.
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

The reason I decided on this was because the lat pulldown attachment that came with it had a leg lockdown - here is that model (the freeweight loading version).

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563-la.html

However, when I called up, I thought they had free shipping on all their power rack stuff. And for the most part, all their power racks and lat pulldown attachments had free shipping except for this pulldown attachment. The shipping alone nearly doubled the price of the pulldown. That made me want to analyze my decision before adding a $200 shipping charge.

My first concern with this setup is with the rack itself - are the more expensive versions considerably more stable that make them worth it?

My second question deals with the leg lockdown. It seems with every home gym set they don't include a leg lockdown for the knees, so if you're doing any kind of weight you'll lift off the bench. Is there something I'm missing or is this a shortcoming of all rack/latdown systems?

I know powertec has the leg lockdown, but it doesn't have any noticeable footplates for doing rows - and cable rows are more important to me anyway because I can always get away with pullups instead of lat pulldowns (If powertec's rack has a footplate for doing cable rows let me know, because that very well might sway my decision back to them). Also, from the model shown on the NY Barbell website, I cannot tell if the footplate is easily removeable. Does it interfere with a bench for other exercises?

Some information that might make these questions moot is that I'm 6'3''. Since I don't have any places around me that deal witht his equipment, will my height make movements like pulldowns and cable rows pointless because I'll bottom out before I get a full range of motion?

The other power racks offered by NY barbells that I was looking at are
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92552.html

It has a larger footprint but since I'm setting this all up in my living room and I'm strapped for space, I was ruling this out. If the stability is that much better, I might consider it, but again, I've never witnessed this stuff first hand.

This last rack I initially liked more than the first because I felt the top front brace might add more stability than just a chin bar.
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8510.html

This is the most expesive one offered by NY barbells and the shipping on the lat pulldown is free - so in fact it would be cheaper than their cheapest one advertised. I want to get teh most bang for my buck, yet I want to know why one is better than the other. If anyone has first hand experience with any of these setups please respond.

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations of affordable power rack w/lat pulldown, let me know.

Just FYI for reccomendations, I'm 100% sold on the steel rods as safety pins vs. the pullpin design simply because it allows more versatility and is markedly cheaper.

Either way, I'd like to hear all the information I can get.

Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dinotrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'll try to keep it short and sweet. This is the rack I have minus the pulldown thingamajig.http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8510.html I like it a whole lot. It has a smaller footprint,it's very sturdy,and with the addition of another set of j-hooks and a set of jumbo hooks for "up in the rack bar storage", dipping bars and plate storage, it becomes a self contained unit. No regrets at all. Don't let "leg lockdowns" on a pulldown attachment influence your decision as you can always use the superior method of locking your lower body down for pulldowns with a loaded barbell on the safety pins. Set it on the pins at the tops of your thighs and pile on the plates. You ain't going anywhere. Good Luck with your purchase.
    Don't complicate things by making things complicated.....

bt_impaler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

makes sense

Load up a bar and use that as the lockdown - I don' tknow why I didn't think of that! Thanks for the response.

cailey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good buy

If you are still looking for the tds power rack here it is for 259.00 including shipping. Best deal I've found.http://www.3dsxtreme.com/power_racks.asp

theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theshape has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow thats a great deal cailey, no chance you know where to get the lat attatchment really cheap? didnt see it on that site

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cailey
    If you are still looking for the tds power rack here it is for 259.00 including shipping. Best deal I've found.http://www.3dsxtreme.com/power_racks.asp

These TDS power racks are the exact same as new york barbells sells. So compatibility with certain attachments sold at NY barbells exists (as long as the model is the same). My trapezoidal shrug bar stands from NYbarbells are TDS brand.

I think the first power rack for $259 will take the NY barbells lat attachemnt. In fact it has the same part # as this one http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92552.html (this power rack corresponds with the third one down at 3dsxtreme. Looks like you only save $50 on this one though)

Nice Find!

Reps for that!
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 09-10-2005 at 10:48 PM.

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by theshape
    wow thats a great deal cailey, no chance you know where to get the lat attatchment really cheap? didnt see it on that site
    Get the lat attachemnt at NY barbells if you need to. It will bolt on as the part numbers on the racks are the same. (make sure you reference parts numbers though so there is no mix-up. Different TDS racks may take different lat attachments)

cailey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can purchase the lat attachment from them also, it is the same price as NYBB, the attachments for this model charge shipping from both(approx. 68.00) so if you plan on getting the attachments you may want to get the super power rack for 349.00, no shipping charges on the attachment for this rack.

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Dinotrainer
    I'll try to keep it short and sweet. This is the rack I have minus the pulldown thingamajig.http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8510.html I like it a whole lot.
    Second this opinion. I use the build in pullup and dip attachments weekly.