Thread: Incline :/

Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Incline :/

When i preform incline dumbells or barbell press it feels like i am using to much of my front delts. I tired dropping weight and really concentrating on hitting the upper pecs, but still i don't feel it at all after i do a set of incline. I also feel it alot in my triceps. anything you all could suggest?
    :....: Dots :....:
    Lift Big, Eat Big, GET BIG

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Adjust the height on the bench. I find that if it's inclined too much then it starts to hit more of the front delts. When do you do them in your workout?
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    because any pressin gmotion is going to be about triceps and shoulders, then chest

for incline make certain the angle is between 15-30ish...anymore and it's really going to be more of a shoulder workout.
    <->

salboski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try dropping the angle on the incline to 25-30 degrees, or slightly less if you are already doing that angle.

Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dots has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i do them as the first excerise. i've tried to adjust the bench up and down but it still feels i use my triceps or front delts to much.

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Dots
    i do them as the first excerise. i've tried to adjust the bench up and down but it still feels i use my triceps or front delts to much.
    Move the bench down to more of an acute angle
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    read above.
    <->

Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ka$h has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you can try pre-exhaustion

tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep i would definetly drop the angle down. Hell the incline benches at my gym are set about about 45 degrees. I use the adjustable bench and put it at about 20 degrees and its an excellent upper chest exercise.

Good Luck.
    Sometimes you have to see the bottom before you reach the top

R.I.P.
    Josh aka Fingers
    Steve P.
    Joe G.
    Tiffany G.
    Josh B.
    Steve Irwin (ultimate alpha)

Only 180lbs in the pic MiketheSwede's Avatar
    MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiketheSwede is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When i preform incline dumbells or barbell press it feels like i am using to much of my front delts. I tired dropping weight and really concentrating on hitting the upper pecs, but still i don't feel it at all after i do a set of incline. I also feel it alot in my triceps. anything you all could suggest?
    I used to have a similar problem....push the weight above your chest, not above your shoulders. Keep you shoulder-blades down and back.
    Like someone said earlier, a low incline helps.

Also, use alot less weight untill you get the mind-muscle connection with your pecs.
    Last edited by MiketheSwede; 09-05-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only use about a 10 degree incline and a big key:

use a parallel grip (dbs facing each other)

Have fun with your sore upper pecs.

Originally Posted by Defiant1

use a parallel grip (dbs facing each other)

Have fun with your sore upper pecs.

that will work his triceps more though
    <->

supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supersatellite is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to find this, but now I never bring the dumbells in, they are always shoulder width apart at the bottom and at the top. I seen Jay Cutler perform them like this in his Ripped To Shreds DVD so I tried it and I found I was able to focus more on the chest with less shoulder movement and involvement.
    'Ain't Nothing to it but to do it'
    'Lightweight'
    Ronnie Coleman

tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tbohacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by supersatellite
    I used to find this, but now I never bring the dumbells in, they are always shoulder width apart at the bottom and at the top. I seen Jay Cutler perform them like this in his Ripped To Shreds DVD so I tried it and I found I was able to focus more on the chest with less shoulder movement and involvement.

I repped you for that one. I also do presses the same way and it works really well.

R.I.P.
    Josh aka Fingers
    Steve P.
    Joe G.
    Tiffany G.
    Josh B.

Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try some incline flies if you wanna hit your chest. =)
    There's only one thing I hate more than working out: being skinny.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    the truth is u ARE using lots of your delts and tris, i read somewhere that the chest is actually the least stimulated out of all three in a benchpress... tho i dont really believe that.
    Either way as long as the angle is between 15-30 then ur fine
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

Originally Posted by MrSinister
    the truth is u ARE using lots of your delts and tris, i read somewhere that the chest is actually the least stimulated out of all three in a benchpress.e
    it is
    <->

Thats why i prefer to do weighted pushups and dips. Any benching other than decline involves a lot of delt involvement. I reccomend db decline presses for anyone who is having trouble with chest.

R.I.P.
    Josh aka Fingers
    Steve P.
    Joe G.
    Tiffany G.
    Josh B.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    it is
    u sure AJ ?? i dunno.. if that was true then in theory ppl with decent pecs would also have real good front delts and tris, but in reality that is rarely the case from what ive observed anyway
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    get those shoulder blades way in, keep your posture correct, and "expose" you chest to the weight as much as possible

Registered User Need 2Whey more's Avatar
    Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Need 2Whey more is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Ian Charles
    Try some incline flies if you wanna hit your chest. =)

I was also going to suggest that. I feel the weight more on my front delts with db presses. I agree with the incline flies, I find they hit my pecs amazingly! Don't worry about using so much weight, focus on the contracting of the pecs and getting a good hard squeeze. Do incline then drop the back rest and do mid incline and then flat. The next day you'll feel the effectiveness of the exercise. I normally do 6 sets total, it works for me. Give it a go and see what you feel and if you like the exercise.
    Jeremiah 29:13

Everyone has all the answer's, except when it comes to their own life!

thanks everyone for your relpies and help. Next monday i am sure going to use most of these suggestions. i'll get back to you on the ones that really helped. thanks again,

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I find that mental concentration is key. For me if i focus on keeping my shoulders down and out of the picture for the most part my chest is pumped much harder leading to soreness the next day or two. Im using dumbbells for this exercise atm I find dumbbells work better for me and you dont need as much weight. anyway I believe its a mental issue. For me strength training is 50/50 body/mind. The same aspect for stomach crunches/situps if i concentrate on my stomach ill get more out of my stomach instead of my lower back/neck..etc.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game