milkl0ver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Long Distance Running Does Not Decrease Your Speed Or Vertical

JUST because you do an endurance exercise DOES NOT mean you get slower or that it decreases your vertical. IT MERELY INcreases the AMOUNT OF FIBERS in your slow twitch BUT DOES NOT AFFECT your fast twitch IN ANY WAY. IT DOES NOT CONVERT BECAUSE CONVERTING FAST TWITCH TO SLOW TWITCH IS IMPOSSIBLE, YOU CAN ONLY CHANGE THE PROPORTION BY INCREASING THE AMOUNT. SO THERE.

krisrogers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i beg to differ
    if you are increasing the ratio of slow twitch muscle fibres relative to fast twitch then you are increasing muscle mass.
    say you have 46% slow and 54% fast
    if u increase slow to 58% then fast will be 42%

this means that your ratio of fast twitch fibres will be lower and since you have increased muscle then you will be slower not because its decrease, but because the ratio of fast twitch : total has decreased

thats just how i figured it....
    sneaky_ferrit@hotmail.com -> msn

BULKING.....Again....

You will still have the same speed, it's just that the ratio states that you have more slow twitch because of the amount of fibers. So sprinters usually train only fast twitch, so there ratio of fast twitch is higher. Just because the ratio increases, it doesn't mean you'll actually GET slower. Also, you won't lose any slow twitch/fast-twitch fibers as long as you keep eating and training. In fact, I read somewhere that fast twitch fibers take a lot more time to lose than slow twitch.

somebody freaking read this

TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Conversion of fast twich fibers into slow twitch fibers will result in less explosive power and may decrease sprinting speed.
    6'4" 285 lbs, I'm a veteran lifter of 6 years and still going strong.

But can't you see, conversion ain't possible.

ZachG_85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You may not get any slower, but your sprint speed won't get any faster.

That's why marathoners can run 6 minute miles, but if they do an all-out mile for a top speed it won't be a whole lot faster.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by krisrogers
    i beg to differ
    if you are increasing the ratio of slow twitch muscle fibres relative to fast twitch then you are increasing muscle mass.
    say you have 46% slow and 54% fast
    if u increase slow to 58% then fast will be 42%

this means that your ratio of fast twitch fibres will be lower and since you have increased muscle then you will be slower not because its decrease, but because the ratio of fast twitch : total has decreased

thats just how i figured it....
    Bodybuilders have a higher rate of ST fibers then FT fibers... WHere as Olympic lifters have one of the highest rate of recruitment of FT fibers due to their training. Powerlifters are in the middle...but still have more FT fibers. I do believe that bodybuilders have a recruitement % of 36 of FT fibers. Thats not alot. Its due to their training.

You can also never recruite 100% muscle fibers in a single set of reps or sets of reps.

lifter

The reason a person trains explosive power is to gain and recruite as many FT fibers as possible to increase speed. The more increase in fiber recruitment the fasters and more powerfull the athlete becomes. The more the long distance runner runs the more they recruit ST fibers so therfor become less resistance to fatigue.

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    this is all i have to say, hard scientific evidence proving you wrong, also proving why bodybuilding isn't a very effective method to train with for sports:

http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?act...e&articleID=40
    I've seen a 15 year old deadlift 440 lbs. first time ever touching a weight
    I've witnessed a begginer increase there total 350 lbs. the first month
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.
    Powerlifting the sport of imposibility to Bodybuilders everywhere

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

krisrogers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    powerlifter16 why did you quote me for what you said??

and btw what were u tryin to say, the stuff that wasnt common sense was just weird ****
    sneaky_ferrit@hotmail.com -> msn

BULKING.....Again....

WAIT, so that article is saying that doing long distance training will decrease your max power such as max sprints, vertical jump right? I DONT BELIEVE IT! I CANT BE TRUe.

gabgonzaIes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So does this mean I can regain back fast twitch muscle fibers if by example I practice sprinting? I spent a 5 month semester doing long distance runs and I did notice that I couldn't feel the confidence of jumping explosively at some point in the future until now, now it makes sense, can anybody help? I wish to regain my confidence and ability to jump explosively again. Thanks