Jess718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing weight before building muscle???

Hi, I'm new to weight lifting and I was just wondering if I have to lose weight first before I can begin weight lifting. I'm saying this because I am 17 and obese. I weigh 260 lbs. and I was just wondering If I had to lose some weight first or should I just start weight lifting right away. I can't wait to start building some muscle. I'm new to this so can someone help me out???

platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50) platnm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you lift weights you'll get muscle you'll just weigh more, mix it up with a combination of cardio/weight lifting such as

monday: cardio
    tuesday: lift
    wednsday: cardio
    thursday: lift
    Friday: cardio

its important to hit your cardio hard right now and not worry so much about building muslce.

slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50) slothasor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes lift weights now, while you lose the fat. if you dont lift while cutting the fat you'll end up losing more muscle then fat, which is a very bad thing.

if your new, you'l probaly even put on a little bit of muscle while you lose the fat.

DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500) DTRG is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Jess718
    Hi, I'm new to weight lifting and I was just wondering if I have to lose weight first before I can begin weight lifting. I'm saying this because I am 17 and obese. I weigh 260 lbs. and I was just wondering If I had to lose some weight first or should I just start weight lifting right away. I can't wait to start building some muscle. I'm new to this so can someone help me out???

hi,welcome to the boards! youll quickly learn these boards will be your new best friend for losing weight and getting in shape!

i think you should lose weight first. i say this because if you are truly obese, you may have a few health risks. assuming youve never worked out or done anything particularly active other than gym class, losing fat would be a good way to start out,that way when you lose what you want, you can start from scratch in building muscle and not worry about losing the muscle you built.

there are a few things you need to do first:

1. post your height,weight,and what your daily activity is. play any sports at all?

2. do some research. READ as much as you can. start with the stickies on top of the forum. move on to articles about finding you RMR (resting metabolic rate-basically how many calories you need to take in daily to maintain you weight) and look at some transformation articles, it can be really inspiring.

3. CUT OUT ALL JUNK FOOD NOW. i tell people this is the first step in changing you diet. fast food, twinkies and snack cakes, cookies, soda, sugary juices, cake, ice cream, and anything high in sugar and stuff you know isnt good for you. its HARD cutting this stuff out i know, but after a while you wont even think about it and youll wonder how you ever ate that crap before.

ok, so your homework is to read up on some articles and stickies and report back with your stats and any more questions you have. once again, welcome to the boards, hope to see more of you around!

Registered User supplementsavvy's Avatar
    supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supplementsavvy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As someone who tried to lose a ton of fat and gain muscle at the same time, let me tell you...focus on losing the weight first!! This isn't to say that you can't lift weights, but by trying to get bulky and lean at the same time, you'll end up going nowhere fast.

travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10) travis h is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by supplementsavvy
    As someone who tried to lose a ton of fat and gain muscle at the same time, let me tell you...focus on losing the weight first!! This isn't to say that you can't lift weights, but by trying to get bulky and lean at the same time, you'll end up going nowhere fast.

You know, I think there's something to this. There's cergainly no reason that you can't gain a significant amount of muscle from lifting and a properly timed diet even if you start out really big. But I think the gratification of seeing a significant weight loss (even if it's at the expense of muscle growth, or even muscle loss) right away is a big enough motivation to have it's own value.

But still, start lifting now. Practice your form, get used to the movements and the routine, and increase the weights as much as you feel you can.
    30, M, 6'0"
    07//01/06 - 187 lbs - 8-9% BF
    Goal: 199 lbs - <10% by '07

dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dkc62 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Body For Life

Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000) Phosphate bond is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The weight lifting will help you lose weight, but maybe focusing on the cardio and dieting initially a little more is a good idea. What I'm trying to say is lift weights, but don't worry so much about gains.

The weightlifting will definitely not inhibit your fat loss and will help out with lowering your insulin levels.
    Last edited by Phosphate bond; 09-04-2005 at 01:00 AM.

thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    General beginner rules:

1) Consume approx. 500 calories below maintenance.
    2) Eat 40-40-20 macronutrient ratios (protein, carbs, & fat respectively)
    3) Lift
    4) Do cardio

As a beginner, you likely don't have your diet in check. So, what you'll likely see at a 40-40-20 macronutrient ratio combined with lifting, is that you'll gain SOME muscle even during a calorie restriction. You'll also be losing fat, so it's a win-win situation. This will slow down and eventually stop over time, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Hope this helps!

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Start lifting right away, for the following reason: when you lose weight, you lose both fat and lean mass; you need to strength train in order to, at the very least, preserve the lean mass you already have.

If you focus exclusively on losing weight and neglect your lean mass, you'll lose most of your lean mass before you lose most of your body fat, and since lean mass is the part of your body that burns calories, you will invariably hit a plateau in your weight loss effort short of your goal. This will put you in the position of having to rebuild your lean mass before your metabolism returns to normal and you resume progress.

You'll probably reach your goal eventually, but it will take far longer. Work on the lean mass now.

C.K.