leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

whatever happened to the 20-rep squat program?

wat happened to th 20-rep squat program? few weeks back, i saw so many threads on this, but i don't seem to find anyone talking about it nowadays. Has it become proven that its useless??
    im intending to do a 20rep squat training to replace my legs day tomoro, becos im sick of doing 8-12 rep pyramid-up sets of squats front squats leg press n leg ext.. same old routine every week... bored of it!!

can anyone post a sample of their training routine for the above mentioned program?

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    usually, for 20 rep squats, you'll do 1 or 2 warmup sets, then take a weight that you can normally do 10 reps with but instead do 20 reps. And you usually only do that one set and then you're done. The key is to go heavy with it. By the time you get up to the upper teens, you should be wanting to scream "F the world" haha
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by leonutz
    wat happened to th 20-rep squat program? few weeks back, i saw so many threads on this, but i don't seem to find anyone talking about it nowadays. Has it become proven that its useless??
    im intending to do a 20rep squat training to replace my legs day tomoro, becos im sick of doing 8-12 rep pyramid-up sets of squats front squats leg press n leg ext.. same old routine every week... bored of it!!

can anyone post a sample of their training routine for the above mentioned program?
    Well, that topic was beat to death a few weeks back. Things cycle like that around here, but I'm sure you can find a lot of good reads if you search. Here is a good thread on it http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=551333
    Last edited by aqua-beowulf; 09-02-2005 at 07:08 AM.

leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leonutz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why was it beat to death? Sounds like a pretty good technique.. haven't come across anyone who said it was a bad thing yet..
    im definitely trying it tomoro.

wat im puzzled about is, you're supposed to take ur 10rep max, den crank out 20 reps right??

but, if 10rep max was ur "max", how would u be able to crank out even an 11th rep with good form?? after doing a 10rep max, wouldn't one be almost very close to failure?

Oh, and are the squats ATG squats or squat to jus below parallel ?
    Last edited by leonutz; 09-02-2005 at 07:43 AM.

Eats Children for Protein JacksCleverWit's Avatar
    JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JacksCleverWit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

The people espousing the exercise are all still recovering after doing it that day. That's why we haven't heard from them.
    Stats as of 8/16/05:
    -------------------
    Arms: 15"
    Thighs: 24"
    Calves: 15 1/2"

That's all I've got, I'll measure the rest later.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    why was it beat to death? Sounds like a pretty good technique.. haven't come across anyone who said it was a bad thing yet..

wat im puzzled about is, you're supposed to take ur 10rep max, den crank out 20 reps right??

but, if 10rep max was ur "max", how would u be able to crank out even an 11th rep with good form?? after doing a 10rep max, wouldn't one be almost very close to failure?

well that's the point. If you can push yourself mentally, you can get to 20. And it will take long to do one set, could take up to 5 minutes. Cuz you'll be fine for the first 12 reps or so, but then after that you might need to catch your breath between reps, which is fine. No one expects you to be able to do 20 reps without stopping occasionally. 20 rep squats are more mental than anything else. The question is...how willing are you to push past the pain threshold? If you've at least been squatting for a year, I'd argue that it's not a question of your body being able to handle it but your mind.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ndnguy85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ur 10 rep max = ur 20 rep max

so take the derivative of that.

(10rpm)' = (20rpm)'

d/rpm = 10/20

i am confused.
    Last edited by ndnguy85; 09-02-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000) Apollo 13 is a name known to all. (+5000)

when you can't hit that 10th rep and can't go anymore you stand there with the barbell on your shoulders and catch your breath. When you think you can push out more reps then continue. You keep doing this until you get 20.
    by the way check this guy out he made a video of him doing them.
    http://www.marunde-muscle.com/videos/407x20.mpg
    Last edited by Apollo 13; 09-02-2005 at 09:46 AM.

trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, so it's like rest-pause until you finish the set. I haven't done them yet, for fear of puking all over the ladies & their pink dumbbells at my family YMCA.

The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    Well, that topic was beat to death a few weeks back. Things cycle like that around here, but I'm sure you can find a lot of good reads if you search. Here is a good thread on it http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=551333
    Yes, read that post. I don't feel like explaining everything again.

I'm going to start a 20 rep log one of these days.
    To save time and confusion, let's just assume that I know everything.

There is no bias on my behalf. Not that it matters, I can be biased if I want to since I am a genius and can argue two contradictory positions simultaneously.

aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10) aster1sk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    20 rep squats own, I've grown ALOT of mass & strength from them.
    "it's better to burn out than fade away"

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JacksCleverWit
    The people espousing the exercise are all still recovering after doing it that day. That's why we haven't heard from them.
    Ha, ha , no bro, we're still here!

Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jotun has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Below-parallel breathing squats (and their variations) are the greatest thing I've found for adding mass to my legs.

Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by trem0lo
    Yeah, so it's like rest-pause until you finish the set. I haven't done them yet, for fear of puking all over the ladies & their pink dumbbells at my family YMCA.
    Sort of, but your not racking the weight each time you pause.

When we do DC squats, we do whatever warmups, then a heavy set of 4-8, then rest for 5-8 min, then do 20. Thats always fun!
    Positive Attitude
    "Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook" - Gollum

"and you ask if you need to step up the intensity, a true DC trainee wouldn't need to ask himself that question, he would already be training with full intensity, this isn't a program for "a pretty high intensity", it's for a kick in the balls intensity where you always try to get that extra rep" - Equill

Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1322041

Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Glyder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Damn, just watched that video. While my best on the widowmaker was 255x20, thats pretty much what it looks like/feels like when your doing it and done it. I am ready to just crawl to the locker room after that.

But first I have to do my extreme stretch
    Positive Attitude
    "Lets get serious. Lets get ugly. Beat the logbook" - Gollum

"and you ask if you need to step up the intensity, a true DC trainee wouldn't need to ask himself that question, he would already be training with full intensity, this isn't a program for "a pretty high intensity", it's for a kick in the balls intensity where you always try to get that extra rep" - Equill

Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1322041

baillou2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's all about the breathing. In my above posted thread I mention how much trouble I'm having myself with these squats, but it's because of the headaches I get while doing them. I've never had a problem putting out one more though. The secret is to take a minimum of three deep breathes (and possible a great deal more) before you go back down. If you do this you will be able to fight your way back up.

COOL i just did my 20-rep squat training today

i guess i didnt do it correctly becos i managed to do a second set with 10 pounds added.

However, i screwed up on my 20th rep on my second set, as in i leaned forward a little too much while on my way up and i fell forward. couldnt complete the 20th rep.

my lower back was very sore n i think i could havegone up til 22 reps if not for my lower back soreness

after the 20-rep sets, i did 3 sets of lunges, leg ext, leg curls n SLDL each.

would this be considered too much volume for a leg session?

EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) EZ-Bar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Apollo 13
    when you can't hit that 10th rep and can't go anymore you stand there with the barbell on your shoulders and catch your breath. When you think you can push out more reps then continue. You keep doing this until you get 20.
    that guy is bad*** I loved the pullups never seen em before. 20 rep squats kill so bad. you shouldnt be able to stand up after em let alone do another set or rep of em.

Originally Posted by Apollo 13

i cant connect to the video... i click the link and a window pops up, but nothing happens after that. any other ways to access the video??

noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) noginn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i cant connect to the video... i click the link and a window pops up, but nothing happens after that. any other ways to access the video??
    Right click the link, Save As