Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hypo_metabolic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When you say 180 lbs...

Does it mean the weight of the olympic bar is included? I usually include the weight of bar when I record the weights I lifted.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by hypo_metabolic
    Does it mean the weight of the olympic bar is included? I usually include the weight of bar when I record the weights I lifted.
    You're lifting the bar too aren't you?.... so yes, of course count it.

Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't, for simplicities sake.

Its better to just keep track of the Plates. When you do a Leg Press you aren't counting the weight of the sled are you? :P

Adding and subtracting 25 or 40 or 45 lbs gets too complicated, and is probably done more for ego than anything else.

Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chi3f is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    You're lifting the bar too aren't you?.... so yes, of course count it.
    I agree, I count it!

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Quintis Vindex

Its better to just keep track of the Plates. When you do a Leg Press you aren't counting the weight of the sled are you? :P

Adding and subtracting 25 or 40 or 45 lbs gets too complicated, and is probably done more for ego than anything else.
    So for a newbie who is doing the bar, they are really lifting 0lbs, hmmm., I see.
    It has nothing to do with ego, it's weight as well, gravity is acting on it, so why wouldn't you count it? I've never even heard of someone not counting it until I came to an internet forum.

Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So for a newbie who is doing the bar, they are really lifting 0lbs, hmmm., I see.
    It has nothing to do with ego, it's weight as well, gravity is acting on it, so why wouldn't you count it? I've never even heard of someone not counting it until I came to an internet forum.
    If they were just doing the bar, thats certainly different.

I don't count it for the reason stated above, Its easier to keep records/track of what I'm doing.

Bench Presses don't sound as sexy when you subtract 40 lbs, I know. But its just my own personal preference.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

yeah in real life it doesn't happen, 8th grade girls who work out in iraq know to count the bar. When your using freeweights you count the total weight you lift. I can understand on say leg press I don't keep track of the weight I just keep track of the plates on each side and think ok first set 8 plates each side, 2nd set 10 plates each side, 3rd set 12, 4th set 14, 5th set 16. It is easier on an exercise like leg press to do that.

even with a smith machine I will say "I did 225 for incline, but it was a smith machine" that way I just say the weight and people can judge whatever they want based on the fact it is on a smith machine.

If they were just doing the bar, thats certainly different.

I don't count it for the reason stated above, Its easier to keep records/track of what I'm doing.

Bench Presses don't sound as sexy when you subtract 40 lbs, I know. But its just my own personal preference.
    I don't do flat bench presses, and I could care less about how much my max is, but I'll continue to count the bar, thank you.

Real life? I must be working out in my dreams then. :P

Why do you feel the need to be some defensive?

He asked if you count the bar.

You do and told him why,

I don't and told him why,

Whats the issue here exactly?

Talking

Originally Posted by Flex500
    yeah in real life it doesn't happen, 8th grade girls who work out in iraq know to count the bar. When your using freeweights you count the total weight you lift.
    Ha, ha, I hear ya!

CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodiMac will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lollzzz because taking a number and adding 45 to it is an absolutly mind boggling process!

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    +bar
    <->

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CodiMac
    Lollzzz because taking a number and adding 45 to it is an absolutly mind boggling process!

I don't know why but I laughed so hard the water I was drinking came out of my nose when I read that

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Flex500
    I don't know why but I laughed so hard the water I was drinking came out of my nose when I read that
    heh
    <->

Originally Posted by CodiMac
    Its an unnecessary encumbrance.

"lolzzz".

Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Oldbastard has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Yeah, 1st grade math is very difficult. Maybe you should put the weights down for awhile and go get yourself an education. I can't believe how stupid some people are. The herd needs to be thinned.

Well, this thread has already be driven into the gutter. (I'd say typical, but is that even necessary?)

Was fun while it lasted though.

"lolzzzzz".
    Last edited by Quintis Vindex; 08-31-2005 at 11:20 AM.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is the strangest discussion in a while.

And while I normally would applaud someone for thinking outside the box, counting plates only (without the bar) makes about... zero sense to me. It's not as if bars vary in weight. They're all 45, and you're lifting it - why in the world wouldn't you consider it in the number of pounds you're pressing or squatting, or whatever?

And the leg press analogy doesn't fly because we ALL ignore the sleds in those totals because they ALL vary in weight. Very few leg press machines (except some Hammer Strength models) tell you what the sleds weigh. So on those, and other machanisms where the weight is unknown, THAT'S why we don't include it. THAT would be an unnecessary encumbrance.

Someone asks you what you squat, and you say 180, because you squat with two 45s on each side? Of course not.

Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    It's not as if bars vary in weight. .

they do; assuming we're talking about an olympic bb, they vary from 45-60 depending on make.
    <->

Originally Posted by $AJ
    they do; assuming we're talking about an olympic bb, they vary from 45-60 depending on make.
    You're going to get in trouble again

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zackmurphy
    This is the strangest discussion in a while.

And while I normally would applaud someone for thinking outside the box, counting plates only (without the bar) makes about... zero sense to me. It's not as if bars vary in weight. They're all 45, and you're lifting it - why in the world wouldn't you consider it in the number of pounds you're pressing or squatting, or whatever?

And the leg press analogy doesn't fly because we ALL ignore the sleds in those totals because they ALL vary in weight. Very few leg press machines (except some Hammer Strength models) tell you what the sleds weigh. So on those, and other machanisms where the weight is unknown, THAT'S why we don't include it. THAT would be an unnecessary encumbrance.

Someone asks you what you squat, and you say 180, because you squat with two 45s on each side? Of course not.
    Agreed!!!

You're going to get in trouble again
    <->

momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) momotheglutton is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You don't count the sled in leg press because you don't know how much resistance you are getting even if you knew how much it weighed. That all depends on leverage and friction and a bunch of other things. With free weights you don't have to worry about how greased up it is and you know exactly how much resistance you're getting. An example of why you can't count these sorts of things in machines is a horizontally loaded seated calf raise. The actual resistance is quadratic in the amount of weight you use (assuming constant plate thickness). But even then it depends on how thick the plates you put on are. So I would get more resistance with sliding on a thick 45 pound plate than a very thin one.

japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50) japlha will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

I count the weight of the bar, the weight of the plates and the weight of my arms.

Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Forgotten has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

I count the bar, and my totals are still personally embarassing lol. Plus this thread brings back memories of the day I found this board. I seem to remember there being 2 or 3 of these that day.

Hunting for moar fibras martydaman's Avatar
    martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you lift it, you count it. Its not that hard
    "A good thread is like a miniskirt. Short enough to keep you interested, and long enough to cover the entire subject"

bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    isnt it kinda convention that you count the bar?

anyways if youre lifting by percentage not counting the bar would **** it up because then its not the percentage of the total weight you did for a 1RM.
    Stats
    Bench: 225
    Safety Squat: 430*10 ~ 550
    Power Clean:225
    Push Press: 205
    Body Weight: ~220
    Height: 6' 2"

AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AssToGrass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Da Rules:

According to the rules of the U.S. Powerlifting Federation - when setting a world record the weight of the bar and the individual plates are recorded as weight lifted.

Bars, weights and collars must conform to the federation's specifications.

Here is a link if you want to read all the rules:

Summary:
    http://www.hickoksports.com/rules/rpowerlift.shtml

U.S. Powerlifting Federation Offial Rules:
    http://www.uspf.com/rules/rules.htm

Well I guess that settles that ****.
    Last edited by AssToGrass; 08-31-2005 at 05:57 PM.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    count it, the bar is not light.. if using olympic thats the different between 180kg and 200kg...
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ampstang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    count it, the bar is not light.. if using olympic thats the different between 180kg and 200kg...
    Don't forget the clips. They weigh 0.4lbs each. When I did the russian bench routine, sometimes if I had to bench 273 a few times, I'd just add 3 clips to each side. Gotta make it perfect. lol
    08/11/05
    Weight: 195
    Height: 6'0"

Best Lifts:
    Flat Bench: 335x1
    Squat: 375x8 (weak)
    Deadlift: 445X7
    Straight-bar curls: 135x7