Thread: Vitamin C

FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question Vitamin C

Besides Oranges what other fruits / veggies are High in Vitamin C?
    "Hey, McButt the crime dog, I heard you and your little chew toy getting in on last night. Keep it down."
    -Stewie Griffin-

Registered User litlfalafelgirl's Avatar
    litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10) litlfalafelgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Vegetables % Vitamin C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bell Pepper 190 %
    Broccoli 220 %
    Brussels Sprouts 120 %
    Cabbage (green) 70 %
    Cauliflower 100 %
    Collards 30 %
    Green cauliflower 90 %
    Hot chili peppers 170 %
    Mustard Greens 100 %
    Okra 20 %
    Onion 20 %
    Potato 45 %
    Radishes 30 %
    Red Cabbage 70 %
    Rutabagas 90 %
    Spinach 25 %
    Summer Squash 30 %
    Sweet Potato 30 %
    Tomato 40 %
    Yellow Snap Beans 20 %

Fruits % Vitamin C

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apricot 20 %
    Blackberries 50 %
    Cantaloupe 80 %
    Carambola 30 %
    Gooseberries 60 %
    Grapefruit 110 %
    Grapes 25 %
    Honeydew Melon 45 %
    Kiwifruit 240 %
    Lemon 40 %
    Lime 35 %
    Orange 130 %
    Papaya 150 %
    Pineapple 25 %
    Plum 20 %
    Pricklypear 25 %
    Pummelo 130 %
    Raspberries 40 %
    Strawberries 160 %
    Tangerine 50 %
    Watermelon 25 %

FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FoxyT is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    wow.... thx!
    "Hey, McButt the crime dog, I heard you and your little chew toy getting in on last night. Keep it down."
    -Stewie Griffin-

vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vanillabn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    great post, litlfalafelgirl Thanks!
    *Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice.*

MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes, I always though it was interesting that a red pepper has about 4 times the vitamin c of an orange (283 mcg vs 70 mcg) and yet what does everyone think of instantly when you say "vitamin c"? Oranges of course! I guess that's because there's no "Florida Red Pepper Growers" association out there marketing the **** out of the vitamin content in those babies. Makes you question some of the knowledge we take as "conventional" and wonder what groups with what motivations made sure you think that way, doesn't it?

Another example, calcium...
    1 cup of cooked spinach = 259 mg
    1 cup skim milk = 301 mg
    There is no such thing as good or bad, only thinking makes it so

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself

The biggest burden is a great potential

wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wulax25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here's a good article on healthy / vitamin rich foods:

http://www.bellybytes.com/articles/29foods.shtml

Bring on the DOMS!! Mrs_Muscles's Avatar
    Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MauiZos View Post
    Yes, I always though it was interesting that a red pepper has about 4 times the vitamin c of an orange (283 mcg vs 70 mcg) and yet what does everyone think of instantly when you say "vitamin c"? Oranges of course! I guess that's because there's no "Florida Red Pepper Growers" association out there marketing the **** out of the vitamin content in those babies. Makes you question some of the knowledge we take as "conventional" and wonder what groups with what motivations made sure you think that way, doesn't it?

Another example, calcium...
    1 cup of cooked spinach = 259 mg
    1 cup skim milk = 301 mg

Exactly! My daughter was reciting commericals last night and I had the talk with her about how we really shouldn't pay much attention to them. I told her that commericals have only one purpose: Convince us to buy their product. The manufactuer is only going to tell you the good stuff, and they are going to exagerate the heck out of it.

As for getting my vitamin c, I LOVE red peppers. When I scramble eggs, I put them in just long enough to heat, so that they still have crunch. I also include, onions, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes. YUM!

Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ooooh me too, that is the yummiest breakfast ever

priji has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Vitamin C

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a water-soluble vitamin. Unlike most mammals, humans do not have the ability to make their own vitamin C. Therefore, we must obtain vitamin C through our diet.

Function

Vitamin C is required for the synthesis of collagen, an important structural component of blood vessels, tendons, ligaments, and bone. Vitamin C also plays an important role in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter, norepinephrine. Neurotransmitters are critical to brain function and are known to affect mood. In addition, vitamin C is required for the synthesis of carnitine, a small molecule that is essential for the transport of fat to cellular organelles called mitochondria, for conversion to energy (1). Recent research also suggests that vitamin C is involved in the metabolism of cholesterol to bile acids, which may have implications for blood cholesterol levels and the incidence of gallstones (2).

Vitamin C is also a highly effective antioxidant. Even in small amounts vitamin C can protect indispensable molecules in the body, such as proteins, lipids (fats), carbohydrates, and nucleic acids (DNA and RNA) from damage by free radicals and reactive oxygen species that can be generated during normal metabolism as well as through exposure to toxins and pollutants (e.g. smoking). Vitamin C may also be able to regenerate other antioxidants such as vitamin E (1).