Thread: PCL tear

julies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

PCL tear

Anyone ever tear their PCL ligament? That is what they believe I did although not for sure... my MRI is tonight. I am seriously freaking out!!! I have my leg in a brace and using crutches and thinking I NEED TO GO TO THE GYM. How long does this take to heal? Will I be in a leg brace for long?

Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bill Hartman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by julies View Post
    Anyone ever tear their PCL ligament? That is what they believe I did although not for sure... my MRI is tonight. I am seriously freaking out!!! I have my leg in a brace and using crutches and thinking I NEED TO GO TO THE GYM. How long does this take to heal? Will I be in a leg brace for long?
    You recovery will depend on the severity of the injury and the need/desire for surgery. Train what you can if you're going nuts.

Bill

heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ive torn my ACL, which is the same thing...both ACL/PCL are the main stabilizers inside the knee joint.

If it is torn, you will have to decide whether you want to get surgery. If you dont you will have to wear a brace for the rest of your life when playing sports or doing activities.

How did the doctor decide that you may have torn the PCL?
    Is your knee still swollen? If it is they may not be able to determine anything from the MRI.

Anyway, give an update when you figure out what happened. If you dont get a straight diagnosis because your knee is swollen...I would confront the doctor who ordered it and tell him he/she screwed up and demand a second for no charge.

Also, an ortho surgeon who spec in knees is the best doctor to see for this problem. He/she will be able diagnose the injury easily.

Give an update and some more info on what is going on and what type of doctor you are seeing.

With surgery you will be in a brace for 1-4 weeks. It will be 8-12 months rehab before you can play sports.
    Last edited by heidt410; 11-21-2007 at 01:09 AM.

julies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, when they did an xray, they were 'chips' and a peice of tibia broken off? The orthopedic doctor did an exam, pressing on places and lifting my knee, it only hurting when he bent it fairly high up. My knee is swollen more today than Monday or yesterday. The MRI technician said she saw a tear but I was told it was basically: 1. if it is completely torn from the bone then surgery but if only 2. partial tear may not need surgery???? I am crossing my fingers today and waiting for reply. Julie

Out of Order (knee) canyouhandle's Avatar
    canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyouhandle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, when they did an xray, they were 'chips' and a peice of tibia broken off? The orthopedic doctor did an exam, pressing on places and lifting my knee, it only hurting when he bent it fairly high up. My knee is swollen more today than Monday or yesterday. The MRI technician said she saw a tear but I was told it was basically: 1. if it is completely torn from the bone then surgery but if only 2. partial tear may not need surgery???? I am crossing my fingers today and waiting for reply. Julie
    Pending the MRI results; If it's a full tear you need surgery because there is no full blood flow in that area.

I just tore my ACL and MCL (the big one in the foreground).

My MCL is only 50% year so they won't do surgery on it but the ACL is completely torn and I have to opt for surgery

4-6 months recovery for your tissue to grow back.

And he cleared me to do upper body workouts and light cycling
    I do rowing for cardio

and yeah this comes from someone whose done basketball, football, and soccer all his life in high school and i messed up this in a pick-up basketball game.. ha. Oh well could be worse, thankfully.

-) Hope you get a good result!

You're doing it wrong. BladeRun's Avatar
    BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Been through ACL reconst. as well. 8-12 months recovery is about right. I lifted until the day before surgery, & I was back in the gym 6 weeks post op. It took about 4 or 5 months after I started back to get back up the weight I was doing before surgery (minus legs of course).

EDIT: In case you aren't into lifting, I was back to running 3 or 4 miles/day 14 month's post op, and I probably could have run a lot sooner if I'd tried.

The biggest thing is REHAB. I did rehab 4x per week for the first 2 months post op, 3x per week for the month after that. The therapist wanted me in rehab for another 4 months beyond that, but my doctor said it was unnecessary as long as I was active and continued my rehab on my own.

Get the surgery, get it fixed, and 2 years from then you won't even be able to tell you ever had surgery except for the occasional twinge from your knee. Deffinitely worth it for a lifetime of unlimited mobility.
    Last edited by BladeRun; 11-21-2007 at 08:59 AM.
    "You are a factory of sadness."

heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000) heidt410 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Best thing for you to do right now is RICE and warm moist heat. Just focus on getting the swelling down...once that is acheived start light therapy. Your ortho surgeon should be able to give you a more clear diagnosis then...but it sound like you may benefit from surgery. If there are minor broken bones you will probably want those to be repaired...plus they will be able to scope the joint to check it out. Sadly, MRI's are not fullproof. Even if it looks partially torn...it could be hanging on by a thread and you dont want to risk further injury to other tissue if that is the case.

I recommend surgery if they think it may be partially torn. Even if the PCL does not need attention, you may have minor miniscus damage or other damaged tissue...add the variable that you have a minor break to the tibia and I think surgery would be wise if they believe any tear exists.

beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50) beergal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I partially tore my ACL. I had a high grade tear but my knee doc said I could probably rehad it w/o any problems. I did that but now wished I could have had the surgery. I have to wear my custom knee brace everyday. I have a physical job but even walking too much sometimes bothers my knee.
    I tore it at the end of Jan. and was able to walk w/o crutches in April. Ditch ur brace that you have right now as soon as you can. I had mine on too long which made my knee even worse. I couldn't bend it and still have issues with range of motion.
    I started in the gym in may trying to get back to my routine but its been a battle. I'm not able to do much cardio but I've been hitting the weights like crazy.
    After being what I've gone through, and seeing that I'm no where close to what I was/could do before, I would opt for the surgery if its possible.
    Good LUck