Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)

Tanita Body Fat scale question

Ive got one of those bodyfat analyzer scales...the electrical impulse kind. I notice such a fluctuation in bodyfat depending on activity level. Is the measurement more accurate after you have been active (like after working out), or more accurate after resting (like in the morning)? Are these things accurate at all?

larrydee19150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tanita Body Fat scale question

These Body Fat scales are not the best thing for determining bodyfat, but if you choose to use one, here are some guidelines:

You should use this scale the first in the morning. Go to the bathroom and empty yourself out and then go on the scale. You need to do this in the morning on a empty stomach because food and water in your gut or water in you bladder can give you a false reading. Never use the scale just after a workout, because the blood rushing through the muscles and throughout your body can give a false reading also.
    Creatine, the old Xenadrine RFA-1 and Syntrax's discountinued Mirabol 19-nor-4 were the best stack I ever used.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The tanita scale tells me I'm 10% BF or 45% bodyfat depending on it's mood Seriously, they suck. BAD.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by larrydee19150
    These Body Fat scales are not the best thing for determining bodyfat, but if you choose to use one, here are some guidelines:

You should use this scale the first in the morning. Go to the bathroom and empty yourself out and then go on the scale. You need to do this in the morning on a empty stomach because food and water in your gut or water in you bladder can give you a false reading. Never use the scale just after a workout, because the blood rushing through the muscles and throughout your body can give a false reading also.
    Good advice. These are reasonably consistent if you are reasonably consistent. Measuring body fat using a skin fold method requires different, but similar discipline to get consistent measurements. (You have to make the measurements at the exact same points, use the same pressure, etc.) FWIW, I believe the electronic scales indicate a few percent higher than the skin caliper method.
    Always learning.

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Meh, they're not even consistant. As my caliper dropped from 24% to 15.5% I don't even think my bodyfat scale has moved. It may have gone down a percent or two because I'm only 5-6lbs lighter than I was at 24%. It says right in the instructions it's not accurate for bodybuilders. I think this should be extended to anyone who has ever lifted weights and therefore doesn't have a sedentary muscle mass.
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

Pro Natural Bodybuilder AustrianOakJr's Avatar
    AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000) AustrianOakJr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, I have to agree that it is not consistant. I bought it for 3 bucks at a garage sale and figured I would try it. If nothing else, the weight is accurate. It has shown an overall decline in BF though. I started at 27% BF and now the highest I see is 24, but it goes as low as 19 depending on hydration and activity.

Thanks for the replies.....I will try to be more consistant in its use.