schase02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I on the right track?

Hey folks.

I would appreciate anyone reading the following and posting advice.

About a year ago, I discovered I had excessively high Triglycerides. I am 35 years old, 6 feet tall, and then weighted 234 pounds. Over the years I usually hovered around 205 or so, but the lack of exercise over the past 4 years resulted in weight gain. I never watched what I ate, all that.

Got put on medication, my Cholesterol went into proper ranges, my BP is great. And since then I started watching what I ate. Switched to diet soda, cut out the chips (switched to pretzels). Started eating either campbells chowders or weight watcher type tv dinners. And during the day I'd eat a couple pieces of fruit. Not really any more exercise at this point.

It worked though, dropped 7-8 pounds a month, over all I lost roughly 25 pounds, then seemed to level out and that was where I stayed. This point I was at 208 or so. I'd go up to 212, down to 205, but in that range.

Then I joined a gym here, for the first month I did 33 minutes every other day on a cycle to get my body used to exercising. Then I switched to an Elliptical machine, and started doing the weight machines also.

Followed the bodybuilding general guide in front of the book to keep track of progress. So here is a typical workout. Every other day. I do this after work, about 6:30pm.

Elliptical - 33:00 min - burn roughly 310 cal
    Verticle Press
    Bisolator
    Leg Extension
    Overhead Triceps
    Leg Curls
    Dorsiflexor
    Standing Calf
    Deltoid Raise
    standing crunch

I first went 2 sets of 12 each, increasing weight as I could handle without over exerting, then moved to 2 sets of 15 reps. My basic plan is to now alter to 3 sets of 10 reps, then 3 sets of 12 reps. So it is roughly 33 min of cardio and 30-35 min of the weight machines.

I've been doing that for the past month. I can see some results, my legs, arms and upper body are getting more defined. But I don't seem to be loosing anymore weight. I realize that muscle weighs more than fat, but am I really putting on that much muscle that the weight isn't decreasing? Right now I'm ranging from 202-205. And this little spare tire around my waist is not going away that I can see.

My goal is 185, I am looking for toned rather than mass.

I really cannot exercise anymore than every other day given work, school, etc. Where I live and the hours makes it tough for me to eat anything other than the weight watcher tv dinners and what not (microwavable). I do splurge one night a week and eat whatever I want (Chinese or whatever). During the week I'm pretty good. I have since ditched the diet soda and changed to water through the day. I do have a couple of breakfast bars in the morning (.5 sat. fat), the two pieces of fruit during the day, and if I'm hungry I try to eat pretzels instead of something else. I also moved up the time I eat dinner to around 8pm instead of 10pm.

There are some days I'm so hungry I run next door to taco bell and have a couple taco's. But I try to minimize that as much as I can.

Before I went on my self determined diet at the beginning of this post, the Doc had tried to get me on a diabetic type diet to lower the calories (I'm not diabetic) - I never saw anything more confusing in my life, I threw that away and mostly have been trying to watch the saturated fat intake. I didn't want to add any of the supplemental nutrition stuff, I guess out of a concern if they are really good for the body or not. The other concern with supplements are would I have to take them forever or is it just until I reach my target weight. I am not totally against supplements if they will help me break this seeming barrier I'm facing and help get me to my target then I can go off of them.

So what do you think? Am I on the right path - but if I am why no more weight loss? If not, than are there any slight changes to make to put myself back on the correct path?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by schase02; 08-28-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added time of workout.

power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250) power press has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    in short thw body adapts to everything we do, so my reccomendation is to add something else on the days yuor not doing anything. like take a 30 min walk in the evenings. and if you want that spare tire down. you need to do more abdominal training. try decline situps or weighted situps.

hope this helps.
    "I MUST BREAK YOU"

"i`m gonna call up some hard pipe hitting neggers to go to work on the homes here with a pair of plyers and a blow torch", "do you here me mr soon to be living the rest of his short ass life in agonizing pain punk rapist here,do you here me hillbilly boy,i`m gonna get medevil on your a$$"

1/28/01 - 428
    1/1/05 - 330
    4/21/05 - 304
    5/28/05 - 292
    7/26/05 - 282
    11/4/05 - 285
    11/25/05 - 290
    3/20/07 - 318

schase02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    really? I had done some searching around which pretty much all said targeted area fat burning doesn't work?

Whats surprising me is that I should have lost weight as soon as I started on the cardio - instead of just a few pounds I expected maybe 10 over the two months.