Lifting Heavy!!! Scarl3tbutt3rfly's Avatar
    Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cutting and Bulking..when, how long, for those in fitness/figure comp

Ok, so after much thought, reading etc. I realized I am at the point where I really need to put on bulk. I had read before that you cannot cut and gain bulk at the same time. After reading another article on BB.com I realized that I need to gear and go into bulk mode. My weight is down to 112 and my bf is down at 12% or so (I havent gotten it officially tested, but even doin the calcs yesterday with 7 sites, I got 10%) Anyway, I really would like to bulk up some but I am confused with how you go about this.

Do people bulk for a few weeks and then go back to cutting, rinse and repeat? Or do you get to a specific weight and then go back to cutting?

I would guess, but not positive that I would need to bring my calories to a bit above maintanance, as opposed to below or at maintanance to get into anabolic mode.

Can anyone help me out with this? Or direct me to more articles that you have read, or books that may help me along.

I am getting kinda interested in someday competiting as well. So Id like to do this right. I am pretty disciplined, so I think I can do it. I just need some pointers I guess.

Another question, just as a side question as well. Regarding alcohol consumption. Im not a big drinker, I hardly ever drink. But maybe once a week or usually less than that, I like to have some sort of mixed drink (usually only 1) or a glass of wine, when me and husband go out for dinner. Is this an acceptable amount? Or are no amounts ever acceptable, especially when you compete. I would imagine right before you are really prepping and cutting, that would be no, but other than that of course.

Thanks for all your help
    You focus your mind to train your body, and the changes that begin to take place impact your mind as well. Dream it, believe it, and you will achieve it. ~Arnold Schwarzenegger, The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998

Music is holy, Art is sacred, and Creativity is power

Vote for me! Vitrix Model Search-Vote HERE!!: http://www.vitrixmodelteam.com/index.php?option=com_modelsearch&controller=contestant&userid=233&filter_contest=14&Itemid=142#photoid=1938

eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eliasmavs99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, I think these two articles will give you tons of info, good luck.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1793585&cr=
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1795045&cr=

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    With bulking, there is no specific end point. Generally, you bulk until you are happy with your muscle gain, then if you have time, you maintain for some time before starting to cut 12-16 weeks out from competition. It's unlikely someone will see much muscle gain in only a few weeks...
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
    Ok, so after much thought, reading etc. I realized I am at the point where I really need to put on bulk. I had read before that you cannot cut and gain bulk at the same time. After reading another article on BB.com I realized that I need to gear and go into bulk mode. My weight is down to 112 and my bf is down at 12% or so (I havent gotten it officially tested, but even doin the calcs yesterday with 7 sites, I got 10%) Anyway, I really would like to bulk up some but I am confused with how you go about this.

Do people bulk for a few weeks and then go back to cutting, rinse and repeat? Or do you get to a specific weight and then go back to cutting?

I would guess, but not positive that I would need to bring my calories to a bit above maintanance, as opposed to below or at maintanance to get into anabolic mode.

Can anyone help me out with this? Or direct me to more articles that you have read, or books that may help me along.

I am getting kinda interested in someday competiting as well. So Id like to do this right. I am pretty disciplined, so I think I can do it. I just need some pointers I guess.

Another question, just as a side question as well. Regarding alcohol consumption. Im not a big drinker, I hardly ever drink. But maybe once a week or usually less than that, I like to have some sort of mixed drink (usually only 1) or a glass of wine, when me and husband go out for dinner. Is this an acceptable amount? Or are no amounts ever acceptable, especially when you compete. I would imagine right before you are really prepping and cutting, that would be no, but other than that of course.

Thanks for all your help
    Yep, bulk as long as you need to, in order to build a good amount of mass. I'd suggest at least 6 months. You might want to take a look at www.bulkingforectomorphs.com for a good bulking diet. You should aim for at least 200 calories over maintenance.

When you are bulking, a glass of wine with dinner is fine.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    With bulking, there is no specific end point. Generally, you bulk until you are happy with your muscle gain, then if you have time, you maintain for some time before starting to cut 12-16 weeks out from competition. It's unlikely someone will see much muscle gain in only a few weeks...
    hey lou i'm a sydney-sider too I thought this might interest you. There is a wholesaler for really good quality meat and you can buy 2kgs of scotch fillet for like $50 or 5kgs of rump for $50!! It's so much cheaper than buying at butchers!
    "Success comes before work...only in the dictionary"

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=936089

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460&highlight=ozigal

imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ooooh where? That sounds good!
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(

MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I cut for 12-16 weeks pre comp and stay cut for 8 weeks to do a few shows. Alcohol is an absolute no-no when cutting for competition, unless you are using is a dehydrator in the 2 days prior to a "natural" or drug tested show - In which case you drink straight clear liquor and no water. Not fun.

The rest of the year I'm bulking or "off-season" by trying to pack on muscle where ever I need it. I'm very careful with my nutrition in order to minimize fat accumulation, which only makes cutting harder.

Basically you bulk until you have built a desirable amount of muscle, or until you think you've reached a bodyfat point of no return. If you think you're more than 12-16 weeks of cutting away from leanness then it's probably time to start dieting.

What it takes for you to bulk or cut depends on your body and it's propensity to store fat, the amount of time you have, what your diet is like, etc.
    There is no such thing as good or bad, only thinking makes it so

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself

The biggest burden is a great potential

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    Ooooh where? That sounds good!
    let me double check the name with my boyfriend and i'll get back to you on that
    "Success comes before work...only in the dictionary"

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=936089

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460&highlight=ozigal

Thanks in advance!

Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scarl3tbutt3rfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for all of your help. I found some articles and links in the contest prep forums as well.

So Im guessing alcohol when bulking on occasion is ok, as long as its only like 1 drink once a week or less? I was reading how alcohol can effect your ability to put on muscle as well, which is why Im asking. Like I said I dont drink much at all, but just curious how much is probably ok.
    Last edited by Scarl3tbutt3rfly; 11-20-2007 at 06:00 AM.
    You focus your mind to train your body, and the changes that begin to take place impact your mind as well. Dream it, believe it, and you will achieve it. ~Arnold Schwarzenegger, The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 1998

Vote for me! Vitrix Model Search-Vote HERE!!: http://www.vitrixmodelteam.com/index.php?option=com_modelsearch&controller=contestant&userid=233&filter_contest=14&Itemid=142#photoid=1938

Fitness Factory IFBB Pro Beefcake Girl's Avatar
    Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Beefcake Girl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly alchohol is a waste of calories...it is totally empty consumption. It is OK to indulge in the off season occassionally but personally, I'd rather eat and then possibly benefit from the food

For a bulk cycle, there is no need to do a dirty bulk and eat tons of junk...for me, laying off cardio, lifting heavy with intensity and eating lots of nutrient dense, whole foods works. I stay in the off season for about 6 mos on average in order to make big changes. It gives my body a break and ensures that there is a definite difference between on and off season, so I can shock my body to get it to respond when I change my programs.

You can add some muscle when dieting down (I have in the past) but not much...typically you are just dropping fat and trying to maintain. So take advantage of the time to make quality gains. It is fun to change strategies every once in a while anyway, just to keep the body guessing!

Good luck!
    2007 NPC Figure Class C National Champion
    IFBB PRO
    Optimum Nutrition Athlete
    VSX Team Trainer (Victoria's Secret Fitness)
    Fitness Factory Personal Trainer

"If it were easy, everyone would do it."

crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    UGgggh! I have just found out that I am at the bf % of no return...

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by crissygirl View Post
    UGgggh! I have just found out that I am at the bf % of no return...
    caliper test? I got caliper tested at 34% about 8 months after I started lifting and I freaked over it. Then I decided numbers are stupid, and it's how I look that matters.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) crissygirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Angry

Yep, calipers...:-( I have caliper rage.

MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10) MauiZos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ahhh I wouldn't worry about the calipers. 34% is only a little over normal and you look "normal" to me. At least you're making the effort to move in a more healthy direction! I think sometimes we get caught up in things on this message board that 12% or 15% is somehow the norm! Far from it.

And I shouldn't have said the BF% point of no return, because there is always the possibility of returning. It just might take a little longer than 12-16 weeks. What I meant was the point of no return for a stage competitor. It's not really safe to diet in such a sever BBing manner for more than that amount of time. If you're aiming to get on stage and you're at the so called point of no return, it's going to take you a few cycles of cutting with "off season" breaks to get where you want to be.
    There is no such thing as good or bad, only thinking makes it so

Your outlook on life is a direct reflection of how much you like yourself

The biggest burden is a great potential

When most of you are in a bulking phase. Which diet do you follow typically, or what do you think is most beneficial?

I have been reading on carb cycling when bulking and just increasing your calories by 10-20% from maintainance and just eating that daily? Do you just eat clean and not watch calories? Just trying to see what most people kinda do.

Ive read articles on carb cycling, and the bulking diet on the contest prep section, as well as the cut diet.

I was thinking of doing a carb cycling approach. With only 1 no carb, and 2 high carb, and 4 lows. With my total calories for the week equivelant to about 10% above maintainance.

I was also gonna work on my training routine as well. I am doing ALOT of cardio atm, so Im gonna taper that down some as well. But was wondering if this is an acceptable approach to attacking my diet for bulking.

Please critique! Im not in any hurry. But I really need to put on mass.

Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
    When most of you are in a bulking phase. Which diet do you follow typically, or what do you think is most beneficial?

I have been reading on carb cycling when bulking and just increasing your calories by 10-20% from maintainance and just eating that daily? Do you just eat clean and not watch calories? Just trying to see what most people kinda do.

Ive read articles on carb cycling, and the bulking diet on the contest prep section, as well as the cut diet.

I was thinking of doing a carb cycling approach. With only 1 no carb, and 2 high carb, and 4 lows. With my total calories for the week equivelant to about 10% above maintainance.

I was also gonna work on my training routine as well. I am doing ALOT of cardio atm, so Im gonna taper that down some as well. But was wondering if this is an acceptable approach to attacking my diet for bulking.

Please critique! Im not in any hurry. But I really need to put on mass.
    Yes, you can carb cycle while bulking. I'd suggest skipping the no carb day though. You don't really want to fully deplete your glycogen when trying to gain LBM.

Personally, I do count calories because I tend to overeat otherwise. In the past when bulking, I simply added in 200 cals above maintenance.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3