iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

ultimate shoulder exercise?

I do the overhead press with a barbell. I hold it behind the head and use very good form. This is my favourite shoulder exercise.

My question is this... People always say side lateral raises are needed to build the "side head" muscle... but are they? Doesn't the overhead press build it just as well?

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you want the answer to your question do this: go into your bathroom, look in the mirror, flash the lights on and off, and chant "I summon Diamond Delts" three times. then come back and check for replies.

iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iDarren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dethmetalanimal View Post
    if you want the answer to your question do this: go into your bathroom, look in the mirror, flash the lights on and off, and chant "I summon Diamond Delts" three times. then come back and check for replies.
    OK

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iDarren View Post
    My question is this... People always say side lateral raises are needed to build the "side head" muscle... but are they? Doesn't the overhead press build it just as well?
    not for a lot of people

flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flangmasterj has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    God Candyman blew ass.

By the way do both exercises. Hit the shoulder from all the angles.

PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PhilX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do the overhead press with a barbell. I hold it behind the head and use very good form. This is my favourite shoulder exercise.
    Good form or not, any weights exercise that involves going behind the head is not good for your cervical vertebrae.
    By this I mean exercises such as your favourite, the behind the head barbell press, and others such as lat pull downs behind the neck...

genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000) genepool is a name known to all. (+5000)

the overhead press is more specific for the anterior(front) delt. the medial and posterior heads are involved as well, just to a lesser extent.

I prefer lateral raises to more specifically target the medial head.
    The body is lazy, unless you give it a reason to grow it won't

Tho I walk thru the valley of the shadow of Death I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest motherf*cker in the valley

I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds - Henry Rollins

NASM-CPT-CES
    Nutrition Coach

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

This question comes down to individual bone structure I believe. Those with straight clavices have a naturally good platform for pressing and often are able to get very good shoulder development from shoulder presses. Though doing both presses and laterals are needed for optimal gains in most people.

As for those with a curved clavicle they usually have to focus on iso's(laterals) to build up their delts. Sloped shoulders are just not a good platform for pressing and the medial delts just don't seem to be wired in as much during presses for guys with this type of bonestructure in my opinion.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 11-19-2007 at 12:58 AM.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Ha,ha. Good one.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    If you do the overhead press with elbows to the sides it can, but often they tend to travel to the front. I guess this is one risk avoided doing it behind the neck, even if it is awkward.

dubano has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dubano has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hmmm

DD, what do you think of Side press ??

Registered User Big Arm Big Pay's Avatar
    Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Arm Big Pay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I honestly find that my best exercise for slapping on delts is front raises and dumb press
    Workout log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=454246811#post454246811

"Dude...there are ALWAYS ninjas. You just can't see them." - HardGainer82, Clark Kent, WishmasterATM, BPP, poopoo333, JOSEF RAKICH

Originally Posted by dubano View Post
    hmmm

I like them. Though stability becomes the largest obstacle as you go heavier. It gets to the point to where you are spending more energy focusing on stabilizing yourself rather than actually working the target muscle. That was my major frustation with them. Though I now do mine with a barbell to get around that issue.

simclaire1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ultimate shoulder exercise?

Yes, I agree with this but we need do everyday shoulder exercise in this Shoulder massage can achieve shoulder pain relief, and produce many other important health benefits. Massage has been proven to improve range of motion and ease the pain associated with shoulder problems.

http://www.bodybuilding-supplement-g...pplements.html

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    This question comes down to individual bone structure I believe. Those with straight clavices have a naturally good platform for pressing and often are able to get very good shoulder development from shoulder presses.
    That makes sense then as I have fairly straight clavicles, and I am sure I am getting width improvements on just the Overhead Press.

Though doing both presses and laterals are needed for optimal gains in most people.
    I like the idea of finishing myself of with these (laterals), when I am fairly exausted, with light weights. An injury stopped me doing them, but I am getting back into them as of now.
    Last edited by iDarren; 01-24-2008 at 02:20 AM.

Originally Posted by dubano View Post
    hmmm

What's the side press?

deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepaksikkan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dumbell press has worked wonders for me .

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    If you do the overhead press with elbows to the sides it can, but often they tend to travel to the front. I guess this is one risk avoided doing it behind the neck, even if it is awkward.
    Yes, this makes sense to me based on how I do it (elbows to the sides) and the results I experience. It can be awkward, but if I use modest poundage and keep good form there is no awkwardness.

LC_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've found lateral and front dumbell raises to be more effective than the overhead barbell press because in the latter, my triceps are the weak link and tend to give out before my delts are fully "smoked".

Raises isolate the delts and allow full fatigue. I like to do super sets with 8 lateral raises 8 front raises and 8 rear raises done in rapid succession followed immediately by dumbell presses which now work better given my delts are prefatigued.

matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt1001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This question comes down to individual bone structure I believe. Those with straight clavices have a naturally good platform for pressing and often are able to get very good shoulder development from shoulder presses. Though doing both presses and laterals are needed for optimal gains in most people.

As for those with a curved clavicle they usually have to focus on iso's(laterals) to build up their delts. Sloped shoulders are just not a good platform for pressing and the medial delts just don't seem to be wired in as much during presses for guys with this type of bonestructure in my opinion.
    this might be a really dumb question but how do i tell which one i have?

Originally Posted by matt1001 View Post
    this might be a really dumb question but how do i tell which one i have?

Stand in front of a miror and look at yourself, if the line across your shoulders from left to right side is straight (even/level) then they are straight. If not then you have some degree of curve.

hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by genepool View Post
    the overhead press is more specific for the anterior(front) delt. the medial and posterior heads are involved as well, just to a lesser extent.

I prefer lateral raises to more specifically target the medial head.

'
    You must have done it right you brought out the vets on this matter...
    Not to many presses hit the outter head but one I like is the arnold press really hits all three heads gotta keep the weight low to not risk injury ...other than that I love the seated military press hits both front and back of the shoulder girdle....
    Last edited by hjayss; 01-24-2008 at 04:40 AM.
    $$$$BIG MONEY BALLER CREW$$$$$

Lifetime reps..
    kenkong..n00bi3..Drew23

I Curlz in teh Squat rak redsox03's Avatar
    redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) redsox03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LOL