e-man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) e-man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question slant-board for sit-ups

Awhile back, I got a slant-board for my ab w/o. It seems to me that occasionally, I have neck discomfort after using it. Anybody have any similar experiance?
    Also, if I am careful not to attempt a full out sit-up, am I just working my adducters, or also getting some ab work in there. What I have begun doing is to do the ab work in a two step process. First I work in a more upright position, then I lye back and do crunches. And lastly, what do you all think of holding a weight against the chest while doing any of this? Hurt or help?

HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10) HIT is best is on a distinguished road. (+10)

sit up boards

I bought one of these things ages ago when I started training. I dont know what yours is but the one I got was a York 250. All it did was cause me lower back problems as excessive back arching was always the case with it (this might not be the case with your model though). What most people don't realise is that sit ups primarily work the hip flexors and not the rectus abdomoni (the abs). You're on the right track with crunches and with the weight idea.

You need to sitmulate the abs in a similar fashion to the rest of the skeletal muscles in order for them to grow, allbeit at a proportionally slow rate. For this you need to apply progressive resistance. When i did crunches holding a barbell disc to my chest i found that when i "crunched", the disc would dig into my middle abs. There are much better alternatives. What i do at the moment is the overhead pulley crunch. This is where you kneel down under a cable pulldown machine (the sort you use for tricep extensions) with preferably a parralell or supinated grip handle attached, pull the weight down so that your elbows are at 90 degrees and the handle is in front of your head and crunch your abs whilst maintaining a straight, locked lower back.
    I find this a teriffic exercise buts it's all personal preference. There are other versions such as the machine crunch.

For more information, read "The Insiders Tell all Handbook on Weight Training Technique" by Stuart McRobert or see www.hardgainer.com.

Hope this helps.

e-man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) e-man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

slant board

Thanks Hit,
    I do my workouts at home, I do have a pulldown setup, but the machine stuff is lost on me.

GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoodForHisAge is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you want abs, you have to be cut...
    Therefore, you have to have a good cutting diet...
    No matter how much crunches and sit-ups you do, if you won't have a good diet, you won't see your abs...
    ...Loved by many, hated by few...

good abs

Hey GoodFor,
    Now that brings up and interesting point. What exactly is good. I am not into this for any competition, so for me strength is what is important. I don't need the "cut" aspect so much...

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by GoodForHisAge
    If you want abs, you have to be cut...
    Therefore, you have to have a good cutting diet...
    No matter how much crunches and sit-ups you do, if you won't have a good diet, you won't see your abs...
    i dont know why you brought this up, but some people train abs for strength
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: good abs

Originally posted by e-man
    Hey GoodFor,
    Now that brings up and interesting point. What exactly is good. I am not into this for any competition, so for me strength is what is important. I don't need the "cut" aspect so much...
    So you on a permanent bulking routine?

Re: Re: good abs

Originally posted by Big H

So you on a permanent bulking routine?
    I would be if my schedule didn't make it so difficult to consume the calories properly. In reality, my goals are to increase my strength and fitness. I have always been into tone over bulk, now at 42 I am curious just what kind of changes I can make in my physical structure.
    I want to be like Samson, in his first performance, he brought the house down!!

crazybread00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm curious are sit ups safe to do? can anyone show me a picture or video of a proper ab exercise