Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50)

BB or DB shrugs?

What seems to be best for strength/mass?

I find DB easier to do because I can get my arms and just the right angle, but I don't know that it's necessarily more effective than BB.

ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ed073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Blown00Mustang

I find DB easier to do because I can get my arms and just the right angle, but I don't know that it's necessarily more effective than BB.

I think the differences are marginal....I have to use BB coz the DBs at my gym stop at 120lbs

Registered User ultraMagnetical's Avatar
    ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i do 2 sets of barbell followed by 2 sets of dumbbell....i like to use light weights and use a long pause at the top....

Hunting for moar fibras martydaman's Avatar
    martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000)
    i use DB's... personal preference
    "A good thread is like a miniskirt. Short enough to keep you interested, and long enough to cover the entire subject"

ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripped_holla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I almost always use DBs. I'll switch back and forth between doing sets with heavy weight and sets with light weight. On the light weight ones though, I pause and count to 4 before lowering it. You'll definitely be feeling those!

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    consisently switch it up
    Chicks dig big calves

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

The only issue over time will be the lack of weight with dumbbells. Otherwise they're similar.

With shrugs I like to use plate loaded equipment that locks the bar into a strict line so it can only go up and down. This is just a preference of mine. Both the smith machine and the hammer strength squat-lunge machine offer this. I like the second one because the handles are in a neutral position much like doing DB shrugs.

gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I always mix it up, pyramid DB shrugs, then go heavy @ The Smith Machine with BB. I enjoy th eDB movement more...

FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50) FastStrongSmart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go heavy, hold to count of 5-7. aim for 12 reps, 3 sets. Dumbells. Your traps will be dead.

David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) David77 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I prefer behind the back BB because it's easier for me to keep proper form. I hold the last 4-5 reps at the top for a few seconds. Definately fries the traps.

Sometimes I use DB or front BB for variety. I don't like the Hammer Strength shrug machine, it feels too unnatural.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Trap bar owns all.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Trap bar owns all.
    Damn deltologist with your fancy home gym equipment and your... I agree, 100%

It's a shame no gym around here has one.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Damn deltologist with your fancy home gym equipment and your... I agree, 100%

It's a shame no gym around here has one.
    Yep. I have a heap load of **** here. Good equipment makes lifting so much more efficient. Not to mention more enjoyable

Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50) Blown00Mustang will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    Yep. I have a heap load of **** here. Good equipment makes lifting so much more efficient. Not to mention more enjoyable
    What's a trap bar? I've never seen one.

What's a trap bar? I've never seen one.
    Here ya go.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0022shr.html

Though I had mine altered to have a wide grip. Hits the traps much harder in my opinion.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    trap bar would be ideal... i personally cannot stand barbell shrugs.. theres something about shrugging the weight your holding in front of u that feels horrible to me
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well bro i would personally say that barbell shrugs are probably the best for shrugs and the best to get your traps growing, i found that dumbells were pretty good for my traps but when i switched to using the barbell i got an enormous response from the traps and they started growing so much that i was even getting a few comploments at school! But the good thing about the barbell was that i didn't even have to use heavy weights for the shrugs, just medium to light weight yet still they grew like never before and i would say that it is because of the barbell and how with the barbell you have to keep your hands still and arms and forearms reletivley stable throughout the entire range of motion, then cmpared to dumbells where you can kinda change the direction of the bars and therefore not hitting the traps as thouroughly as with the barbell, just my thoughts there and i hope that i helped you out bro, good luck

Torg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Torg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Torg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Torg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Torg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Torg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Form with a bb is less comfortable, but my grip slips with dbs.

Returning to Savagery JustBrowsin's Avatar
    JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JustBrowsin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    neither.... deads and cleans will do the trick

NMBdybldr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My traps don't respond to BB's. I was doing 275 and not even getting tired, then I switched to DB's and I have seen improvement within a week. I use varying weights. Start light and hold at the top for a long time, then move up to heavy while decreasing the time you hold at the top.

Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100)
    i use the BB when i go super heavy, and then the DB when i want mad reps with a long pause at the top.

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JustBrowsin
    neither.... deads and cleans will do the trick
    I deadlifted heavy for over a year and my traps blew, untill I started isolating them.
    Remember...if your traps grow without shrugs, all the power to you, but not everyone is the same

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irishrunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i can't seem to get the form down with DB shrugs....i have to use a BB or machine...for some reason DB feel awkward to me and i can't seem to get it to work. so, my personaly preference is a BB

The reason I seem to stick with DBs is that I feel like I will crush my wedding tackle with the BB. I think I'm going to go heavy with DBs and use straps if I need to.