Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Elliot0409 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Do your muscles have a memory?

I stopped working out about 5 years ago. I started up again about 4 months ago and I'm almost back to where I was strength wise. I'm only like 15-20 pounds of strength away from where I was.

Someone told me that muscles have a memory, is this true?

Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old Man Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    "muscle memory"

yes its true

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeppers. They remember how far you took them and upon being re-stressed, they say, "OK, OK, we'll go there, you don't have to beat me to death, I remember!"
    Time To Re-Schedule

Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift
    Yeppers. They remember how far you took them and upon being re-stressed, they say, "OK, OK, we'll go there, you don't have to beat me to death, I remember!"
    Well said.

=*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) =*= has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    muscles can talk???????

Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bad Dog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It has been theorized that multi-nucleation might explain the longstanding anecdotal phenomenon most athletes call "muscle memory".

Muscle memory is recognized when someone who has had substantial muscular mass and then lost it due to injury or layoffs from training, returns to training and regains the majority of the mass in a much shorter time than was initially required to develop it.

What could be happening is that the specific muscle proteins in the muscle were cannibalized by the body for energy production during non-use. The muscle, however, retains a higher than average number of nuclei that the previous exercise stress caused the body to create.

When presented with exercise and proper nutrients, new protein synthesis can occur at an accelerated rate.

The short version....Yes!

zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zectbumo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was going to the gym for about 3 years full on and was weighing about 202 lbs then I badly dislocated my shoulder and was out of action for about another 3 years. In that time I dropped down to 178 lbs.
    2 months ago I started back and I am already at 191 lbs and I am lifting the same amount as I was before I stopped and that is without supps. I think I will exceed my previous size in about another 2 months. Muscles definitely have memory.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, through proprioceptions. Your CNS "remembers" things like movements as well as amount of force required to lift something. It's on of the reasons why repetitive tasks like swinging a golf club or riding a bike become thoughtless acts after a while. The CNS force proprioceptions are how your body knows how much force to use on a lift. For example, if you had two identical chairs but one weighed more than the other, after lifting the heavier chair 10 times, what would happen if you lifted the lighter one? You'd use more force than was needed and the chair would get lifted very quickly. It's the same reason why most people feel like the first rep is harder, because your body is trying to figure out how much force it needs to complete the lift. After that first rep the rest kind of fall into a groove.
    I don't know either lol

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not only do muscles have memory but they're freakin smart too. I tried to fool mine into believing I once had 20" arms and they wouldn't buy it
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Killazer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lol u are 20" bitches.. dont you REMEMBER damn it!! heh...

Yeah but I definately notice the 1st rep phenomenon especially when you start dealing with heavier weight. It's like... oh **** thats heavy then.. but wait I have enough power no problem.

frankieh456 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    like when u shoot a basketball
    "To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate."

-Michael Jordan

$keleTon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Years ago Robbi Robinson (a long retired body builder) trained for the Masters circuit and won first place in only 6 weeks of training! before then he was retired for some years. Amazing though, dormant muscles can spring back to life.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Overload
    Not only do muscles have memory but they're freakin smart too. I tried to fool mine into believing I once had 20" arms and they wouldn't buy it
    I showed my arms pictures of Lee Priests and said, "Don't you remember you looked like that?" and they started laughing so hard they almost fell off my arm bone!
    Time To Re-Schedule

pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100)

Talking

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift
    I showed my arms pictures of Lee Priests and said, "Don't you remember you looked like that?" and they started laughing so hard they almost fell off my arm bone!
    Hehe

Round2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Round2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Elliot0409
    I stopped working out about 5 years ago. I started up again about 4 months ago and I'm almost back to where I was strength wise. I'm only like 15-20 pounds of strength away from where I was.

Someone told me that muscles have a memory, is this true?

yup muscle memory is a beautiful thing...I've been working out for 4 months now after taking 10 years off. I'm very close to where i used to be strength wise. Sweet.

Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You have had to train consistantly to actually remember anything.

Yes I have muscle memory.

Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sasarai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think a good example is the old empty carton of milk thing.

When you go to lift a carton of milk, thinking its full and then lifting it much higher and faster then you expected. Your muscles knew how much force normally would have been needed to lift it and apply it only to realize it was empty and used way too much.

bbgbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I guess it is not only for muscles, the same thing happens to other parts of body.

That's why obese people have a hard time losing weight. Because they have been in that weight for so long, their bodies remember exactly how they used to be even after losing weight. So it is extremely easy for them to gain the weight back.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    keeping it in very simplistic terms - yes - it's far easier to regain lost muscle than it is to build new muscle
    <->

If only ugly was currency GetImpact's Avatar
    GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50) GetImpact will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bbgbo
    I guess it is not only for muscles, the same thing happens to other parts of body.

That's why obese people have a hard time losing weight. Because they have been in that weight for so long, their bodies remember exactly how they used to be even after losing weight. So it is extremely easy for them to gain the weight back.
    Yup. I think fat has memory too.

Please. For the love of god, people, don't ever let yourself get fat. Never. Not even once.
    Stats: Ugly, fat and weak.
    Immediate Goal: Quit being fat.
    Long Term Goal: Quit being weak.

Potato ('before' pic):
    [url]http://www.getimpactnow.com/body/2004.jpg[/url]
    Progress Pic:
    [url]http://www.getimpactnow.com/body/2005july24_biflex.jpg[/url]
    I was born in '66 people. Cut me some slack.

Originally Posted by GetImpact

Please. For the love of god, people, don't ever let yourself get fat. Never. Not even once.
    I'm not fat--I'm "bulking" (for the last 5 years)
    Time To Re-Schedule

rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50) rizay will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GetImpact

Yes, fat does have memory...Actually, it's more like a nightmare...
    I'm just here to learn.