Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: push-ups 101

cbboating_7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink push-ups 101

everyday push-ups!!!
    how many push-ups must one do everyday?
    how many variations?
    what muscle group to target?

merry christmas!!!
    do you have a friendster account???

invite me...

e-mail: freezy_menthol@yahoo.com or gymrats2002@yahoo.com

no sweat!!!

BigAssDeltoids has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no one here does push ups (well i do but only for a warm up before heavy, heavy bench pressing)

If your doing push ups as an exercise, well....lets just say you have "issues"

cbboating_7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

push-ups 101

all I'm asking is how many push-ups and how to do them properly. That doesn't mean I make it my everyday work-out routine. I still go to the gym...

I just do push-ups for warm ups before going to the gym, and in cases that i can't go to the gym...

how can i make push-ups effective whenever there's a time no bench presses, dumbells, and barbells are around???

THANKS!!!
    peace...
    do you have a friendster account???

invite me...

e-mail: freezy_menthol@yahoo.com or gymrats2002@yahoo.com

no sweat!!!

well ok...how to do push ups properly? uhm well i cant really explain that to you.. Now as far as how many, last time i tried i could do 50 in a row..since then i have gotten a lot stronger, so i should be able to do 100 by now.

I have an interesting variation on the push ups thats quite effective for the lower pecs/inner chest...but its hard as **** to do, and it puts a lot of tension on your elbows

get in the regular push-up position, only this time bring your hands together to their touching and form a diamond with your two index and thumbs. Then when you go down, try and put your nose into that diamond and go back up - no dropping your knees...I have yet to be able to complete even one full rep without some aid from my knees...and i dont know it its even possible

bigobb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doesn't the "diamond pushups" work the tris instead of thepecs/inner chest, sort of like close grip bench. Thats where I feel it anyways. You could also do some variations on the pushups, such as "clappers" where you push off the ground and clap, repeat. We did these at the end of chest workout during football, worked rather well. If you want some other variations of pushups check out my site below, click training, and then ghetto training guide. List others there.
    Big O's Teen Bodybuilding Site
    Http://www.bigobb.com

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)

Angry

Originally posted by BigAssDeltoids
    no one here does push ups (well i do but only for a warm up before heavy, heavy bench pressing)

Well, that is the constructive attitude and type of advice that we just love to see around here!!!!!
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

he wasnt asking for your opinoin or approval, give a real answer or no answer

joehagyHH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i would say, if you do them slowly and correctly, 20-30 is a good number... you can move your feet at an incline to make it harder and to work your muscles at different angles, you can wided or shorten your hands to work the chest tris, and other supporter groups differently...pushups are a good exercise... just dont make them part of your MASS BUILDING! they are very good, lets say, at the end of a chest workout.

seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with Joe there. I do as many pushups as I can at the end of my chest workout. Totally KILLS my pecs.

Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dome is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My record is 52
    I heard doing 3 sets of 10 each morning will give your pecs a good little workout.Weither this is true or not is a mystery.
    My mate who could do 200 normal push ups used to put his feet on the window ledge to make it harder,and to get the number down..
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

Static-X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push-ups have many variations.

I am not a teen, but want to help answer this question.

I do 3 sets of about 40 reps (not everday though). As I'm sure you know this kinda gets old and time consuming, so here is what I sometimes do to make it burn quicker. While in the midway position but slightly closer to the floor I crank out 15-20 "miniature reps". I just make the range of motion minimal and push up & down in about a 4" space or so, then back to full motion. This will kill your pecs, if not then re-position your hands so that it does, unless of course tricep stimulus is what you are after.

Also, doing push-ups between two chairs is pretty effective too. One variation of this is to lean into and over one of your hands that is on the chair at the top point of the push-up. This makes me feel more stress in my inner pec. Then switch to going over the other hand.

Hoped to of helped bro.
    Brick, no hit back.

Banned user87745477315471972481's Avatar
    user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I always do pushups the moment I finish a heavy bench set.

I go on the floor and could hardly push out one or 2 pushups, it's wicked.

Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    well ok...how to do push ups properly? uhm well i cant really explain that to you.. Now as far as how many, last time i tried i could do 50 in a row..since then i have gotten a lot stronger, so i should be able to do 100 by now.
    Not saying your wrong, but go and see how many push ups you can do now. I doubt it is 100. I work out and can only do like 40 push ups but my freind who doesn't work out and is so much weaker then me, but he wrestles, he can do 50 push ups. The thing I am saying is there is a difference between muscle strength and edurance, and bodybuilders don't train and gain much muscular endurance. But I could be wrong, maybe you can do 100, but hey, go and see if you can do 100.

jimi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i believe Bigassdeltoids, i can do about 100 straight too, just not everyday though.

Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robert is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Push ups are good, especially after a set of bench or something just roll right off the bench and go to failure on some push-ups.

Peace
    Don't quit it just cuz you can't lift it- Farma
    "Wanna get big? stop lookin and start workin!"- Farma
    "Quality not quanity applies to a lot of things; bodybuilding is one of those things" - Farma
    Psalm 23 "Fear No evil!"
    "The O.S.R has begun, we're taken out anyone in the way!!" - Farma

Kutulus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    not tryin to be mean, but push-ups are pretty useless...

unless your a drill sergent

jimi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by Kutulus
    not tryin to be mean, but push-ups are pretty useless...

unless your a drill sergent
    not really true.. before i started lifting i did pushups a lot for a few months, and i saw good results on my chest.

BigM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    push-ups can be good. i was reading this book on bbing and it talked about this football player fromt he 50's who was huge and lean, like 250 with 6%bf and he never set foot in a weight room, all he did was push ups, pull ups crunches and other non weight exercises. though he did do a ton of em, in fact his usual workout was 2000 pushups, in 4 sets of 500, along with tons of those other exercises.

AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i'm goin into the military, i need to build up my endurance for push ups. i still workout bodybuilding style. how can i incoorporate pushups into my routine so i can make the number higher? should i completely change my BBing routine? what kind of routine should i use then? thanks.

Kutulus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by AimHighUSAF
    i'm goin into the military, i need to build up my endurance for push ups. i still workout bodybuilding style. how can i incoorporate pushups into my routine so i can make the number higher? should i completely change my BBing routine? what kind of routine should i use then? thanks.
    shed as much bodyfat as possible... this will make you lighter, which will allow you to do more pushups before you get tired...

quadmonium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

same boat

yes im going into the national guard, but b4 i leave they stil put me in a recruit unit. they teach us the fundementals. one sargent gave us a really good chest workout to build up our endourance. all this is non stop, this is just one set, you should do 3-4 sets taking a few mins rest in between.
    5 diamond pushups
    5 regular pushups
    5 wide pushups
    4 diamond
    4 reg
    4 wide
    3 diamond
    3 reg
    3 wide
    2 diamond
    2 reg
    2 wide
    1 diamond
    1 reg
    1 wide

you will find that this is not easy, but it is a great work out, remember, no resting on this whole superset, just move into position for the next pushup. it ends up being a 45 set pushup. if you cant finish it, start at 5 and work your way down until failure, and when you can comlplete all of them easily, shorten the rest period.

mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickeys is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i do some pushups to finish off a hard core chest/tri excercise soem times

pushups won't help you any as far as getting big, maybe if you weighted them they would help a little but screw them theres many better excercises.

they work chest/tris

Crash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pushups???? you should join a dance class or something.
    If you aren't prepared for the answer, don't ask the ****ing question.

B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) B1gReDheAd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yea 100 isnt too much, i could do that a while ago, but since then i've put on a good amount of mass and havent really done em since.

Originally posted by AimHighUSAF
    You dont need to worry about doing push ups "Ace"....we all know the air force is the weakest(physically) branch in the entire armed services.....i guess thats why 90% of them are fat...too damn lazy.

P.S. im not dissing you, im dissing the air force..if you wanna take it personally, its your problem

its possible to hit 100 pushups at a time.. i hit 87 in one minute during my fitness assement test in my lifetime fitness class last year.

my bad, check that ... 1 and a half minutes... curl ups were timed at 1 minute

BigLiTTlEJohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i can't do 100 puch ups in a row and i am muscular and so forth i get tired i think this is mainly due to my type of lifting and my extremely low endurance in cases such as push ups, pull ups ect.
    the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exsist
    --------------------------------------------
    If your giong to lift like a man eat like a man -Br
    ---------------------------------------------
    I came i saw i was humbl'ed

quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50) quikieemart will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BigAssDeltoids View Post

issues? why issues.
    HEALTH IS WEALTH.

"Get your rhomboids up!"

We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500) We_Big is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by quikieemart View Post
    issues? why issues.
    Hey can we please stop messing with the time machine? Thanks
    **Misc Cologne Crew**

Ravens, Lakers, Angels

Ball So Hard University