Thread: Cla

n3on has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cla

Anyone here who takes CLA. Does it really work?
    If your Bar aint bending, It means you are just pretending.

Bodybuilding for Dummies
    1. Choose something heavy
    2. Lift it
    3. Eat
    4. Rest
    5. Repeat

Height:5'9"
    Weight:158 (trying to lose more weight, used to be 191 lbs)
    Arms:14"
    Chest:39.5"
    Legs:21"
    Calves:16.2"
    Waist:31.5"
    Forearms:11.5"

cockySWOLE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cockySWOLE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fish oil is much better than CLA, and sesathin may be even better than both.

Most of the positive benefits of CLA has only been seen in animal studies at high doses and some negative effects have been observed. Also, the specific enatiomer of CLA, which has shown benefits, is not found in its pure form in commercial products. Instead the cheaper racemic or mixed form is marketed. If you want to save your money, go with fish oil at 3 grams of epa/dha per day. This will cost you about $.20 per day.

n3on has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ah icic... kk thanks
    If your Bar aint bending, It means you are just pretending.

Bodybuilding for Dummies
    1. Choose something heavy
    2. Lift it
    3. Eat
    4. Rest
    5. Repeat

Height:5'9"
    Weight:158 (trying to lose more weight, used to be 191 lbs)
    Arms:14"
    Chest:39.5"
    Legs:21"
    Calves:16.2"
    Waist:31.5"
    Forearms:11.5"

freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cockySWOLE
    Fish oil is much better than CLA, and sesathin may be even better than both.

Most of the positive benefits of CLA has only been seen in animal studies at high doses and some negative effects have been observed. Also, the specific enatiomer of CLA, which has shown benefits, is not found in its pure form in commercial products. Instead the cheaper racemic or mixed form is marketed. If you want to save your money, go with fish oil at 3 grams of epa/dha per day. This will cost you about $.20 per day.
    Nearly everything above is complete BS.
    Many, many human studies have been conducted and most are positive when it comes to fat/weight loss. The specific isomers used in the studies are in NOW CLA, most others don't show the isomers they contain. Extremely high doses were not needed to see results in the human studies. Most found that 3.6g per day was the dose required to see results.

The problem is that most people's personal experiences don't mirror the studies results. My personal theory on the discreprency is that the studies are all conducted on generally unhealthy, obese and morbidly obese subjects. People with huge amounts of BF and bad diets. That generally isn't the case with people around here.
    I got a fever, and the only prescription is...more cowbell!

DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100) DelToro is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by freakie
    Nearly everything above is complete BS.
    Many, many human studies have been conducted and most are positive when it comes to fat/weight loss. The specific isomers used in the studies are in NOW CLA, most others don't show the isomers they contain. Extremely high doses were not needed to see results in the human studies. Most found that 3.6g per day was the dose required to see results.

The problem is that most people's personal experiences don't mirror the studies results. My personal theory on the discreprency is that the studies are all conducted on generally unhealthy, obese and morbidly obese subjects. People with huge amounts of BF and bad diets. That generally isn't the case with people around here.

I have a bad diet, my bf may be not that high but it's nowhere near 9% or the like and still I have experienced absolutely NOTHING from it

cockySWOLE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cockySWOLE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Most of the positive benefits of CLA has ONLY been seen in animal studies
    U.S. Department of Agriculture/Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.
    Recent animal studies have demonstrated that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat and that this decrease may be due to a change in energy expenditure. The present study examined the effect of CLA supplementation on body composition and energy expenditure in healthy, adult women. Seventeen women were fed either a CLA capsule (3 g/d) or a sunflower oil placebo for 64 d following a baseline period of 30 d. The subjects were confined to a metabolic suite for the entire 94 d study where diet and activity were controlled and held constant. Change in fat-free mass, fat mass, and percentage body fat were unaffected by CLA supplementation (0.18+/-0.43 vs. 0.09+/-0.35 kg; 0.01+/-0.64 vs. -0.19+/-0.53 kg; 0.05+/-0.62 vs. -0.67+/-0.51%, placebo vs. CLA, respectively). Likewise, body weight was not significantly different in the placebo vs. the CLA group (0.48+/-0.55 vs. -0.24+/-0.46 kg change). Energy expenditure (kcal/min), fat oxidation, and respiratory exchange ratio were measured once during the baseline period and during weeks 4 and 8 of the intervention period. At all three times, measurements were taken while resting and walking. CLA had no significant effect on energy expenditure, fat oxidation, or respiratory exchange ratio at rest or during exercise. When dietary intake was controlled, 64 d of CLA supplementation at 3 g/d had no significant effect on body composition or energy expenditure in adult women, which contrasts with previous findings in animals.
    and some negative effects have been observed.
    Negative effects observed:

Alteration of egg yolk and egg white pH, distribution of minerals in yolk and white, and decrease egg quality and hatchability of chicks;31
    At 2% of food, CLA accelerates the decomposition of storage lipids, resulting in lipid peroxidation and morphological change in the liver;32
    In hens, 2.5% CLA reduced level of n-6 and increased level of n-3 fatty acids;33
    At 1% of feed in mice, CLA increased TNFa (tumor necrosis factor alpha, an inflammatory factor) by 12 times, and uncoupling protein UCP-2 (a thermogenic factor) by 6 times; there was liver swelling, increased insulin resistance, and leptin depletion;34
    Given 1g of CLA every second day, chicks showed altered fat metabolism;35
    Given to rats at 3 to 5%, CLA changes the membrane lipids, increasing some and decreasing others, increases antioxidant enzymes in liver, and reduces both LDL and HDL cholesterol;36
    At 6.6g/kg (0.66%) of food, CLA increased liver weight by increasing cell size (hypertrophy) but not fat levels in hamsters;37
    In rats given 180mg/day of mixed isomers, CLA was found to compete for enzymes used to elongate and desaturate EFAs, thereby decreasing the production of EFA derivatives important to health;38
    At 10g/kg (1%), CLA reduced rate of bone formation in rats, while EFAs enhanced bone growth;39
    In mice fed an atherogenic diet containing 5g/kg (0.5%) of CLA, CLA increased the development of fatty streaks, one of the atherogenic markers;40
    At 3% of food, CLA was ineffective in mice tumor multiplicity (TM), whereas SDA and EPA decreased TM by 50%;41

Also, the specific enatiomer of CLA, which has shown benefits, is not found in its pure form in commercial products. Instead the cheaper racemic or mixed form is marketed.
    Now Foods CLA label:
    S u p p l e m e n t F a c t s
    Serving Size: 1 Softgel
    Servings Per Container: 180

Sunflower/Safflower Oil (High Linoleic Acid)
    1000 MG
    Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
    700 MG
    Cis-9, Trans-11 Isomer
    300 MG
    Trans-10, Cis-12 Isomer
    330 MG

The trans-10,cis-12 isomer is the one which has showed some postive effects. Sure looks like a racemic mix to me.

Do you know how high the american diet is in omega-6 fats? Do you know the optimal ratio of n-6 to n-3 fats is?Do you think more omega-6 fats albeit novel ones will improve health?Do you even know what "conjugated" is refering to in CLA? Go back to lurking punk.
    Last edited by cockySWOLE; 08-20-2005 at 10:43 AM.

DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DRP7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    U Cis-9, Trans-11 Isomer
    300 MG
    Trans-10, Cis-12 Isomer
    330 MG

The trans-10,cis-12 isomer is the one which has showed some postive effects. Sure looks like a racemic mix to me.
    excellent argumentation, cockyswole, gave you reps!

in fact, the two isomeres act against each other, the one increasing fat oxidation, the other supposedly decreasing fat oxidation. A good CLA product would contain only the good isomer.

best regards

david

freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50) freakie will become famous soon enough. (+50)

When dietary intake was controlled, 64 d of CLA supplementation at 3 g/d had no significant effect on body composition or energy expenditure in adult women, which contrasts with previous findings in animals
    You'd benefit from closer reading. This study is indeed on humans.

This is from your own hyperlink.
    Originally Posted by Supplementation of CLA for 24 months
    No fat or body weight changes occurred in the 2 groups given CLA during the initial 12 mo. LBM and BMM were not affected in any of the groups.

You'd benefit from closer reading. This study is indeed on humans.
    I never said the study wasn't on humans. I said all the negatives were observed in animals, not humans.

This is from your own hyperlink.
    Read the full study.
    One thing you will get from it is that there were no negative side effects associated with long term (2 years) supplementation of CLA.

patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000) patfactorx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Personally I just drink milk and get my CLA that way. I wouldn't pay to get to it as a supplemement =op

But I have taken Keto bars that contained CLA and I definitely noticed that it helped me to lose weight. It might just have been the changes to my workout though... but I say if you can get it at a good price then try it for yourself and see if it works.
    David Pat
    INBA/PNBA Pro Bodybuilder
    Personal Trainer and Contest Coach

Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Frank Rizzo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i took cla for almost 1 year and i didn't notice a difference. my gains and fat loss were no different. the brand i took was not very well known, so i'm not knocking cla entirely.

The anecdotal evidence is probably the best argument against CLA. Most people have had little success with it.

jasonk67401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonk67401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonk67401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonk67401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonk67401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jasonk67401 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    CLA = Conjugated Linoleic Acid
    CLA is a mixture of at least 8 different forms of an 18 carbon fatty acid. CLA commercially is made from an mega 6 through a process called hydrogenation. CLA is not an exxential nutrient. CLA is a non essential fatty acid. CLA is actually an entire group of trans fatty acids.

According to a study entitled "Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure", the authors stated "CLA had no significant effect on energy expenditure, fat oxidation, or respiratory exchange ratio at rest of during exercise. When dietery intake was controlled, 64 days of CLA supplementation at 3 grams a day had no signigicant effect on body coposition or energy expenditure in adult women.

According to a British study entitled "Regulatory potential of n-3 fatty acids in immunological and inflammatory processes", the authors stated under a subsection entitled n-3 fatty acids as fuel partitioners, "n-3 poly unsaturated fatty acids also act as intra and intercellular fuel partitioners. They coordinately suppress the expression of lipogenic genes and induce the transcription of genes encoding proteins of lipid oxidation and thermogenesis." Another words, they help prevent fat storage and help promote the buring of fat as fuel.

www.pharmanutrients.com/cla/cla_abstactos01.htm

References:

Erasmus, Udo "part 2 what is cla?" p 1-4
    Okuyama, H, Kobayashi, T, and Watanabe, S (1997) excess linoleic omega 6 and relative n-3 deficiency syndrome seen in japan. Prog lipid Res 35, 409-457
    Enig, Mary "The truth about saturated fats" p 10-11
    Lowery, Lonnie M "Dietary fat and sports nutrition a primer" Journal of sports science and medicine (2004) 3. 10-117
    Zambell, KL, Keim, KL, VanLoan MD, Gale, B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ: Congjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids 35 777-82, 2000
    Grimm, H, Mayer, K, Maysner, P, Eigenbrodt, E "Regulatory potential of n-3 fatty acids in immunological and inflammatory processes" British Journal of Nutrition (2002) Suppl. 1 s59-s67
    Sullivan, Krispin (2005) "update on essential fats." p 1-27

According to WB Grant Ph. D., between 1903 and 1998 added fats rose from 34 pounds per year, mostly butter and lard, to more then 66 pounds per person per year. All of the fat increase was in the form of omega 6 as salad dressing, margarine, shortening and hydrogenated fat added to processed foods and candies.

The ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 in the US diet is now between 25-50:1
    The ideal ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is between 4:1 or 1:1

armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500) armz_ha is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
    i took cla for almost 1 year and i didn't notice a difference. my gains and fat loss were no different. the brand i took was not very well known, so i'm not knocking cla entirely.
    how much did you take everyday? and were you cutting or bulking?
    doesn't watch t.v.

bgibbs86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Could you tell me what the Keto bar brand is? Thanks

Originally Posted by patfactorx View Post
    Personally I just drink milk and get my CLA that way. I wouldn't pay to get to it as a supplemement =op

But I have taken Keto bars that contained CLA and I definitely noticed that it helped me to lose weight. It might just have been the changes to my workout though... but I say if you can get it at a good price then try it for yourself and see if it works.

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bgibbs86 View Post
    Could you tell me what the Keto bar brand is? Thanks
    I’m sure he will, 13 years later
    Strong & Unstable

jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jh225 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

Originally Posted by bgibbs86 View Post
    could you tell me what the keto bar brand is? Thanks
    Originally Posted by faipdeooiad View Post
    i’m sure he will, 13 years later
    lol!