Invictus180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please help

ok so ive been working out off and on since i was a freshman in highschool which was about 6 years ago, with much more time off then on. But i just recently got back into it and even more recently ive gotten very serious about. i would say the last 2 monthes ive really been serious watching what i eat making sure i eat atleast 100 grams of protien a day and working out every other day while running and spending 20 min on the heavy bag every day. When i started back up orginally about 6 monthes ago i weighed 190 at 6ft. Now im down to 173 but im quite a bit stronger my bench has gone from around 200 to 250 as of yesterday...im pretty sure i can get 255 but i dont have the balls to try without a spotter . But i think im going about everything all wrong . I do everything in one day this is my work out

2 sets of 15 warm up with 135 bench
    5 sets of 5 with 195 bench not to failure
    4 sets of 8 with 125 military press
    4 sets of 8 with 85 curls
    4 sets of 7 with 75 triceps

and its all with a barbell, all i have is a weight bench with 300lbs of weight out on my front porch and thats what ive been working with , but i do all those things in one day and ive notcied that most of the people on this forum break it up into seperate days. it takes me about 70 min to to it all then i go for my 2 mile run then i go right from that to 20 min on a heavy bag and usually after all that i can barely lift my arms. And ive been seeing good improvements on my definition and a little on my size but not much on strengh lately, i really want my bench to hit 315, but ofcourse not at the cost of muscle growth....so what do i need to do or change, any and all criticism is more then welcome.
    Last edited by Invictus180; 08-18-2005 at 12:47 AM.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    First off, without sounding too harsh, I think you need to read more, a lot more, and you'll learn alot on here.

Second, I have never been a fan of full body workouts, but if that's what you're intent on staying with, I'm sure there will be people who can help you.
    I'll probably sound like I'm working for the power rack companies, as much as I plug them, but you should really invest in one. Your 300lbs weight set and bench will be more than adequate at your level, but if you choose to work out at home, the power rack will open up a lot more options for you as far as training goes. It will also provide a much needed measure of safety when training alone.

Third, I would do some research and come up with a split that would allow you to work only one or two body parts per session, incorporating several different exercises. Like take back for example. You could easily do bent-over rows, reverse grip bent-over rows, and deadlifts, as well as rack pulls, pullups, and chins (if you had a power rack). What I'm getting at is you are not limited to just one exercise per bodypart even with the setup you've got. There are a wide variety of splits out there.... 5 on 2 off, push/pull/leg splits, chest/tris, back/bis, shoulders/legs.....the list is endless. Learn more, experiment, and come up with one that best suits you and your goals.

Fourth, train your legs (power rack comes in handy for this as well)

Fifth, 100 grams of protein is not enough to build mass, especially with all the cardio you're getting. 1.5 grams to 2 grams per pound of bodyweight is a safer approach.

Sixth, pick a goal. Do you want to primarily gain mass, or reach a 315lb bench? I'm not saying you can't accomplish both, but at your level, you may want to prioritize one or the other.

Hope some of this helps, but again, do some research, and find out what works for you. Good luck!

Invictus180 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok so starting today im going to up my protien intake to 200 grams, 40 grams spread over 5 meals. And i did quit a bit of reading on this site but almost all of the advice is differnt. Some say take a week off per muscle group some say every other day. Which is best for someone at my level. I figure weighing 173 and eating 200 grams should be enough for now. Im eating mostly egg whites, tuna, chicken and steak, when its on sale but im just going to eat alot more of it. But i still am not sure of what my work out should be. I dont really want to stop running but its hard to go for a 2 mile run after a leg work out. But if i run in the morning im not sure if i would be able to get the most effective leg work out in the evening. I have been neglecting my legs my max squat is probably only around 200lbs which is sad considering i can bench 50lbs more then i can squat. But what would be most effective for stimulating muscle growth only using a bench and bb? And how often should i rest? Im still a little sore after one day of rest but not very and its not enough so that it hurts to work out. Also i really would like my bench to go up seeing how its been stuck at the same spot for awhile now.