Thread: BBQ baked beans

AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

BBQ baked beans

I was curious why no one ever talks about baked beans. the vegetarian BBQ baked beans by Bush have zero fat, 24 grams of carbs(4 sugars, 6 fiber), and i think about 5 grams protein. thats in a half cup. They taste incredible also. i know there are others out there who eat these!
    "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I eat them, those and ranch beans, pinto beans... I'm not sure how good they are for you, but they don't seem bad according to the label.

AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) AimHighUSAF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yeah, it looks great on teh label.
    "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CASE has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I mix them with some cooked mince beef and roll it up in a taco with a little chilly sauce. Taste great and its high in the all mighty protein.
    Case <---- This is Case, This is his dumb bell-----> [[]]=[[]]

"I've never paid for a push-up or a sit-up in my life and I've done millions."
    -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

-Case, available for weddings, funerals and bar mitzvahs-

Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I never checked out the BBQ Baked Beans. I always skipped right over them and went to the Black Beans. Since the baked beans have a sweet taste I thought they must have been high in sugars in the sauce used to flavor them. I will check them out next time I go to the store.

For what it's worth, I have been making a chili lately with Black Beans and Ground Turkey breasts as the main ingredients. I add Crystal Sauce, Chili Powder, and Crushed Red peppers as well as whatever spices suit my mood. I love this meal! It is very low fat, high protein, and also has fiber in it. I like to make a huge amount, like 1.5-2lbs of 99% Fat Free ground turkey breast along with 2 cans of black beans. Then I portion it up into those cheap GladWare tupperware containers (that you can throw away or reuse) and keep a few meals ready in the fridge.

I love this chili and can have it ready anytime and anywhere by just putting a container in the microwave for 2 mintes.

Regards,
    Alphonse

EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EviLBoX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Alphonse
    I never checked out the BBQ Baked Beans. I always skipped right over them and went to the Black Beans. Since the baked beans have a sweet taste I thought they must have been high in sugars in the sauce used to flavor them. I will check them out next time I go to the store.

For what it's worth, I have been making a chili lately with Black Beans and Ground Turkey breasts as the main ingredients. I add Crystal Sauce, Chili Powder, and Crushed Red peppers as well as whatever spices suit my mood. I love this meal! It is very low fat, high protein, and also has fiber in it. I like to make a huge amount, like 1.5-2lbs of 99% Fat Free ground turkey breast along with 2 cans of black beans. Then I portion it up into those cheap GladWare tupperware containers (that you can throw away or reuse) and keep a few meals ready in the fridge.

I love this chili and can have it ready anytime and anywhere by just putting a container in the microwave for 2 mintes.

Regards,
    Alphonse
    That sounds pretty good, can you post the recipe? I've bought turkey chili from the grocery store, but it's way too salty for my taste.

Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Alphonse has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't really follow a recipe, I just kind of mix it up and flavor as I go. Don't forget that cooking is far from rocket science! As long as you have chili powder the rest is just throwing **** into the mixture depending on what you like and have available. Here is how it went last time I made it. It was a very meaty chili, which means more protein and less carbs/fat:

What I did first is cook the turkey (1.25 lbs) in a large non stick skillet over med-high heat. As this was going I added the following spices available in most any grocery store:

chili powder
    cayenne pepper (makes it hot and yummy )
    crushed Red Pepper(optional, see above!)
    Crystal Sauce (like mild Tobasco Sauce)
    black pepper
    some salt (this could be added last of course so that you can salt it to your taste).

You need to cook turkey until it's no longer pink. Then I added 1 15oz can of black beans (undrained) and simmered over the same heat for about 10 minutes. I really don't even time it, I just taste and add spices while it cooks and this usually takes about 5-10 minutes. The key is to cook until the beans are tender. Then it's done.

Now you could also add the following depending on your taste:
    Stewed or Diced Tomatoes from a can
    Fresh Chopped Green Peppers, red bell peppers, or yellow bell peppers
    Fresh Onions
    Fresh Garlic finely chopped

Last time I did not have the fresh veggies on hand so it was just beans, turkey, and spices but it still came out pretty damn good. The only other thing I like to do is sprinkle shredded chedder cheese on the chili as I serve it. This can help to thicken it and also adds to the flavor, but also adds some bad fats as well.

(If you are cooking challenged then an easy shortcut would be to buy a pre seasoned chili mix in the grocery store. Then you would just follow the directions and substitute ground turkey for beef and black beans for kidney beans. Simple enough, but might be too salty!)

The breakdown for the whole amount of chili with just beans, Turkey, and spices as listed above (W/o cheese or any veggies) is:

Calories: 910
    Protein: 150Grams
    Carbs: 58Grams (16g of Fiber and 2g only of sugar!)
    Fat: 11 Grams.

I split this up last time to make the main course for three meals. The chili contributed 50grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs, and 4 grams of fat to each meal.

Regards,
    Alphonse

BTW, I have found that the black beans also do not make me nearly as gassy as the kidney beans in standard chili. This is a real plus if you are living with someone and wish to continue to do so!

TheIronSpud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, I have some extra time tonight. That looks spicy!
    That's it.

BTW, the black beans I always use are "Kirby" brand. The stats I listed above included what came off the cans nutrition label, but I read the ingredients and they are not just black beans only. The ingredients reads:
    water, black beans, olive oil, sweet pepper, salt, vinegar, sugar, onion salt, garlic salt, and spices.
    So maybe if you use another brand you might get even less sugar or fats since these have some added.

Personally, I would rather use the Kirby since I think they taste good. The label says they are "Creole Seasoned"

Regards,
    Alphonse

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to the grocery store now.