Thread: Why am I stuck?

nlittl12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Why am I stuck?

I am male, 21, 6 foot 1, healthy, 201.4 lbs. I run 4 days a week, 4 days of 5 miles. Hike two days a week, at least 5 miles each. I work all muscle groups throughout the week. My Garmin claims that I burn an average of 1200 calories a day. I went from over 300 lbs to 201.4 in the last 18 months, but cannot get off my diet. I drank two cups of black coffee, one scoop of bcaas, one scoop of whey, 200 grams of boiled chicken breast, 2 cups of boiled brussel sprouts, one serving of almonds, one serving of peanut butter, and one pouch of tuna a day for a total of 1200 calories. This is how I lost the weight
    I have added a quest protein bar, and a pint of Krogers low cow protein ice cream and the weight loss has stopped even though I am at 1750 calories a day. I want to get down to 195, but I'm stalled at a caloric deficit as it is. What am I doing wrong, is it hormonal?

nlittl12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nlittl12 View Post
    I am male, 21, 6 foot 1, healthy, 201.4 lbs. I run 4 days a week, 4 days of 5 miles. Hike two days a week, at least 5 miles each. I work all muscle groups throughout the week. My Garmin claims that I burn an average of 1200 calories a day. I went from over 300 lbs to 201.4 in the last 18 months, but cannot get off my diet. I drank two cups of black coffee, one scoop of bcaas, one scoop of whey, 200 grams of boiled chicken breast, 2 cups of boiled brussel sprouts, one serving of almonds, one serving of peanut butter, and one pouch of tuna a day for a total of 1200 calories. This is how I lost the weight
    I have added a quest protein bar, and a pint of Krogers low cow protein ice cream and the weight loss has stopped even though I am at 1750 calories a day. I want to get down to 195, but I'm stalled at a caloric deficit as it is. What am I doing wrong, is it hormonal?
    I have been stalled for 2 weeks now going on three.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How long were you running 5 miles a day and eating 1200 calories?

You may have a combination of metabolic adaption and have lost a lot of muscle mass as a result of doing all that cardio and eating 1200 calories a day. You might be better off eating at or slightly above maintenance for a month or two and lifting. I might add a little muscle back on and give your body a break from the low calorie thing. You will probably not lose weight (maintenance) but it might help reset your metabolism and add a little mass back on.'

Also, a true stall is at least a month.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If your weight doesn't drop in another week (total 21 days with no loss), drop your calories.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    If your weight doesn't drop in another week (total 21 days with no loss), drop your calories.
    He's 200lbs, runs 20 miles a week, hikes another 10 and says he does some lifting. Cutting further probably isn't gonna help. Nobody his size and with that amount of activity should be eating 1200-1500 calories.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MCrow View Post
    He's 200lbs, runs 20 miles a week, hikes another 10 and says he does some lifting. Cutting further probably isn't gonna help. Nobody his size and with that amount of activity should be eating 1200-1500 calories.
    Nobody maintains his size and activity level at 1750 calories. If he's not losing after 3 weeks, he's eating at or close enough to maintenance that he needs to drop calories if he wants to lose weight.

It doesn't matter if he perceives himself to be eating 1000 or 3000 calories. If he doesn't start losing, he's eating too much to lose

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    Nobody maintains his size and activity level at 1750 calories. If he's not losing after 3 weeks, he's eating at or close enough to maintenance that he needs to drop calories if he wants to lose weight.

It doesn't matter if he perceives himself to be eating 1000 or 3000 calories. If he doesn't start losing, he's eating too much to lose
    If you think the issue is how he's tracking the best advice is to tell them how to track properly, not just cut calories.

it's possible he's not tracking properly and that should be the first thing he looks at, not simply cutting further.

Also, it is factually incorrect to assume, no matter what, if someone isn't losing weight it's because they're eating too much. Or at least not that simply. Now if the OP comes back and says they weigh everything out and track everything then I wouldn't advise cutting more calories. If you really are eating 1700 calories and doing all that cardio and not losing weight you probably have a hormonal issue that you should get checked out at the Dr.

But OP said only two, going on three weeks now so probably needs to ride it out more. I have seen several people who up their calories for a while and after two weeks or maybe a month they cut calories again and the weight loss begins again and stays steady. Assuming good tracking that would be what I suggest trying.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MCrow View Post
    The problem is that he's not eating 1200-1500 calories, we would like to believe very much every person that comes on here and says stuff like this, but our experience tells us that most of them are not really tracking their calories and the number they report on this forum is merely through perception and guestimating (always on the low side). Nobody who is 6'1" and over 200 lbs with that level of activity can maintain weight on that amount of calories. Nobody eats the exact same thing every day, they would go insane if they did, he's obviously not accounting for certain things (I'm also certain that he's eating out sometimes and not tracking those calories).

OP, Garmins are NEVER, EVER correct. You would be lucky to burn even half of that amount of calories through exercise each day.

Spradish is right, if you want to keep losing drop your calories again, by at least a couple hundred a day and/or increase your activity level.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

It doesn't matter if he starts tracking more accurately and actually starts eating 1750 calories or if he simply starts eating what he perceives to be 1500 calories. Both methods (employed after 3+ weeks with no weight loss) equate to dropping calories.

OP--how long has it been since you added in a bit more food to up your calories?

jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdesey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nlittl12 View Post
    I think your body has adjusted to the routine. I recommend changing it up. Try some short interval, high intensity cardio. It is superior for fat loss. Mix up the weight routine. Just change it up. Our bodies are very smart and will adapt to the stress over time.