Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rickbo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Better to workout in the morning or night

I am cutting, what time is it better to workout, morning or night time? (as far as burning the most calories and cutting fat)

Heres what I do

M - Chest & back, Abs
    T - Plyometrics (a lot of jump training and different squats)
    W - Shoulders & arms, abs
    Th - Yoga
    F - Legs & Back, abs
    Sat - Kenpo (Martial Arts)
    Sun - Stretch routine

Each workout is 1 hour.

Currently I have been working out at night. I just had an idea that when your body is fully rested it can burn more calories. So when is better morning time or night time, and support your answer.
    P90X 7 days a week, HIIT cardio 2 days a week, cutting phase 1

M - Chest & back, Abs
    Th - Yoga
    F - Legs & Back, abs
    Sun - Stretch routine

crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by seamless View Post
    I am cutting, what time is it better to workout, morning or night time? (as far as burning the most calories and cutting fat)

Heres what I do

M - Chest & back, Abs
    Th - Yoga
    F - Legs & Back, abs
    Sun - Stretch routine

Each workout is 1 hour.

Currently I have been working out at night. I just had an idea that when your body is fully rested it can burn more calories. So when is better morning time or night time, and support your answer.
    Nightime
    -key hormones are highest at this time
    -body should be well fed by this time (assuming proper diet)

I am not one to get into posting studies and all that...but I'm sure everyone will agree that

nightime is optimal...but morning is still great...do the best you can do
    "Did you know that there is a nerve that connects the eyeball to the anus?
    It's called the Anal Optic Nerve and gives people a ****ty outlook on life."

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."

Ronald Reagan

NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by crazymutha View Post
    Nightime
    -key hormones are highest at this time
    -body should be well fed by this time (assuming proper diet)

I am not one to get into posting studies and all that...but I'm sure everyone will agree that

Hmm, I absolutely agree. But the general consensus that I see is that everybody likes to workout in the morning. Then again these people seem to say you should workout on an empty stomach which seems wrong to me.

I do remember reading the book "Body for Life" where Brian claimed that working out in the morning is 300% more beneficial... But that book was written like 10 years ago so things may have changed.

In the end I feel as long as I get my ass in the gym it doesn't matter, I try not to nitpick if I don't have to.
    almost in the 100 lost club :D

NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NoTimeLikeNow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Over-analysis + perfectionism = procrastination & wasted years
    oh yes, quoted for truth

crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000) crazymutha is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NoTimeLikeNow View Post
    Hmm, I absolutely agree. But the general consensus that I see is that everybody likes to workout in the morning. Then again these people seem to say you should workout on an empty stomach which seems wrong to me.

I do remember reading the book "Body for Life" where Brian claimed that working out in the morning is 300% more beneficial... But that book was written like 10 years ago so things may have changed.

In the end I feel as long as I get my ass in the gym it doesn't matter, I try not to nitpick if I don't have to.
    With cortisol elevated in the morning, one can easily get "wired" from any form of stimulation, especially in a fasted state...beit exercise/caffeine...this would cause one to feel good for pretty much the rest of the day. So, I can understand the logic.

For muscle growth, though, I have read and heard (no sources) that night time is optimal too many times to even second guess it.

Personally, I do cardio in the morning before work, and then I lift after work...this way, I get the best of both worlds.

--start the day optimally
    --end the day optimally

Ronald Reagan

TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheNormalMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I prefer morning because I'm so burnt out at night after most days that I couldn't even come close to working out as intensely at night as I can when I'm fresh in the morning.

It's always the same every morning, wake up, scarf down my egg whites and oatmeal, take an EC stack, 45 minutes later, get my ass to that gym. By this point, I'm wired, alert, pumped up, and I only have to deal with two other people in the gym. Last time I went to the gym at like 5 or 6, there was so many people in my school's weight room that there lines for some of the machines.

As long as you're lifting hard, and doing everything right, it really doesn't matter when you lift.
    Only Those Who Risk Going Too Far Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go

Forever Cutting (My Road to 10%):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163945981

ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do mine in the morning cause I don't have time at night but I believe at night is the best for the reason, right after you workout at night before your last meal is optimal because the muscles need recovery and to rebuild and sleep is the ultimate recovery time along with the correct nutrients.

papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000) papagunz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought test levels were highest in the morning? Anywho, I lift in the morning, after a good breakfast. Loving it at the moment.

Surgeon By 2012 or Bust! -Aaron-'s Avatar
    -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Actually, you're wrong. Clinical studies have shown that testosterone is higher in the morning and drop as the day goes on.
    "The world will look up and shout save us... And I'll whisper, no."

Leonidas300, SCDiesel23, Jkeith are my heroes.

MK32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm lifting in early the morning, one hour after a breakfast. i'd prefer to workout in the mornings anyway, but a bit later. have no time however, maybe evenings are better than early mornings, but by the time i can go to gym i completely tired + gym is full of people

Originally Posted by -Aaron- View Post
    Actually, you're wrong. Clinical studies have shown that testosterone is higher in the morning and drop as the day goes on.
    Is that enough to say that I am wrong?

How about, "To my understanding, Clinical studies have shown that testosterone is higher in the morning and drop as the day goes on."

Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted by -Aaron- View Post
    Hmm was reading Muscle & Fitness mag today and thought this little chunk of info might be useful. Seems there is a lot of conflicting information. Regardless of the elevated levels of T there must be some other factors involved that produce better gains from working out at night. Here is the direct quote.

Researchers from the University of Southern Mississippi (Hattiesburg) discovered that when subjects worked out after 6 p.m. for 10 weeks, they gained more muscle and lost more body fat than a group that trained before 10 a.m.
    Unfortunately, no info about the exact study was presented so who knows how controlled it was. But it certainly makes you wonder.

Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Zee Deveel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Main benefits I can see for both:

Morning: You have the whole day afterwards to eat protein instead of going to sleep.

Night: Your pain threshold in the morning is lower so you should in theory be able to push yourself harder at night.

SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDC77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whatever time allows you to workout with the most intensity. Don't overthink the situation, it's just a workout. Square away your nutrition and then bust your ass, it's that simple. Day, night, who cares.

yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50) yott will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    it depends. i personally workout both morning and night (not in the same day). they both have their strong points.

i like working out in the morning because im full of energy and the gym is less crowded.

night time is also good because its a nice way to finish the day. however i find that i have less energy at night due to school and work.

but as some have said, go with either one just as long as you do it.

metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) metallicide has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my lifts are always better at night for some reason, but I usually go mid afternoon.

DefineYourself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DefineYourself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DefineYourself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DefineYourself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DefineYourself has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To my understanding, there is no optimal time of day to workout. For cardio some people do it when they first wake up before breakfast supposedly when sugar levels are the lowest therefore it's easier to get at the fat stores. Though I workout in the afternoon and cardio at night after not eating for a few hours at night it feels like the perfect way to finish off. Also doing any type of excercise without sufficient supply of nutrition will lead to lack of performance and endurance. So arguement goes either way. Do what works for you

goodluck with your progress
    Last edited by DefineYourself; 11-20-2007 at 07:44 PM.

Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000) Qijofeuih is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well I'm not sure if this is optimal but I do it in the mornings because at night I usually tell myself "I'm so tired, I'll do it tomorrow morning" and wind up skipping a workout. It's really easy to crawl in bed after a long day. Mornings however there really isn't anything to do and you can look forward to your workout.

Heathnz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SDC77 View Post
    Whatever time allows you to workout with the most intensity. Don't overthink the situation, it's just a workout. Square away your nutrition and then bust your ass, it's that simple. Day, night, who cares.
    I love this. Peoples days differ. In my experience as long as you eat right throughout the day, and get your workout in (always give your all). You’ll see results.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The thing about this is there are legit evidence for and against both morning and evening workouts. The differences aren't that big. I really doubt if you choose one or the other that you will see a meaningful difference. The thing that matters the most about workout times is which you enjoy best, which fits your schedule best, and maybe volumes at your gym during those times. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about which is metabolically better, if there's any difference at all it's not big enough to matter.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10) vince4bb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Morning because the pre-workouts keep me up all night if I do a night session.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If peak strength matters (e.g. powerlifter training) then early evening is supposed to be the time when neural output is at it's highest whereas early morning is relatively poor.

I don't read too much into such ideas though, convenience and mealtimes tend to dictate the issue for me instead.

284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 284Shooter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Heathnz View Post
    I love this. Peoples days differ. In my experience as long as you eat right throughout the day, and get your workout in (always give your all). You’ll see results.
    It’s a 12 year old thread, I am sure he figured it out by now.

fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    If peak strength matters (e.g. powerlifter training) then early evening is supposed to be the time when neural output is at it's highest whereas early morning is relatively poor.
    This. I found that strenuous moves like deadlifts, block pulls are best done in the evening (though I can't properly sleep if I pull heavy in the evening too). While lighter work, e.g. dips feel fine earlier in the day.

fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fairOne777 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In general, it is going to be highly individual (as most things in bodybuilding) whether morning or evening is better for YOUR BODY. Morning person vs evening person thing going on. Experimenting with different times will yield an answer. I had a thread about training close to bedtime and some people basically said they can train late night and still be ok and sleep well others were saying anything serious in the evening and they can't sleep. So all depends on your individual genetics.

You will also probably find that some exercises will be best suited for morning others for evening FOR YOU. Just experiment.