welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Post workout meal - after night gym session?

I train late at night. Usually go around 10 and by the time I get home and have cooked it's about midnight. My typical post workout is just 6 scrambled eggs. Sometimes I'll have 6 scambled eggs, a glass of milk and some cheese. I deliberately choose this/these foods as they all have protein but CASEIN protein to work over night as I sleep. Is this enough or should I have more of a 'meal' ?

The few times I go to the gym in the day, my post workout will be different as I don't need the casein protein as much (usually it'll be whey protein however from real foods and never supplements). Eg chicken breast, sweet potato and greens.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by welovethehammer View Post
    I train late at night. Usually go around 10 and by the time I get home and have cooked it's about midnight. My typical post workout is just 6 scrambled eggs. Sometimes I'll have 6 scambled eggs, a glass of milk and some cheese. I deliberately choose this/these foods as they all have protein but CASEIN protein to work over night as I sleep. Is this enough or should I have more of a 'meal' ?

The few times I go to the gym in the day, my post workout will be different as I don't need the casein protein as much (usually it'll be whey protein however from real foods and never supplements). Eg chicken breast, sweet potato and greens.
    If this meal has 25-30 grams of Protein you are optimizing muscle protein synthesis. Other than this, as long as you are meeting you daily goals, then it is fine.

welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50) welovethehammer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    If this meal has 25-30 grams of Protein you are optimizing muscle protein synthesis. Other than this, as long as you are meeting you daily goals, then it is fine.
    I thought it is important to combine carb-based food to protein-based foods in order to aid protein synthesis ? I wouldn't really be getting that with just eggs. And even with eggs, milk and cheese I wouldn't be getting that much carbs???

DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I thought it is important to combine carb-based food to protein-based foods in order to aid protein synthesis ? I wouldn't really be getting that with just eggs. And even with eggs, milk and cheese I wouldn't be getting that much carbs???
    No, you're on a real bro science train here. Look at total macronutrient intake over the course of the day.

80% of the time I just have a protein shake PWO and go to bed. 5% I'm actually eating dinner and 15% I don't eat at all. (I'm not hungry post workout, and already ate ample protein and in at least 3 meals during the day.)

mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50) mizztism will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DGMan99 View Post
    No, you're on a real bro science train here. Look at total macronutrient intake over the course of the day.

80% of the time I just have a protein shake PWO and go to bed. 5% I'm actually eating dinner and 15% I don't eat at all. (I'm not hungry post workout, and already ate ample protein and in at least 3 meals during the day.)
    Just have a question about this. Like OP, I've thought it's important to combine post-workout protein with a carbohydrate source. Wouldn't it be important to replenish muscle glycogen post-workout? Or are you saying that reaching your carbohydrate needs throughout the day will suffice despite depleting them during your workout? I train for a strength sport, so maybe glycogen availability is different; just curious nevertheless.
    “The pain of discipline is nothing like the pain of disappointment” – Justin Langer
    Visit my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171805213&p=1449839953#post1449839953

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mizztism View Post
    Just have a question about this. Like OP, I've thought it's important to combine post-workout protein with a carbohydrate source. Wouldn't it be important to replenish muscle glycogen post-workout? Or are you saying that reaching your carbohydrate needs throughout the day will suffice despite depleting them during your workout? I train for a strength sport, so maybe glycogen requirements are different; just curious nevertheless.
    You don't need to worry about muscle glycogen unless you're an endurance athlete and you do multiple events in one day.

You don't need to rush to get in protein post-workout either. You could eat right after. You could eat 4-5 hours after. It's all good.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000) DGMan99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    You don't need to worry about muscle glycogen unless you're an endurance athlete and you do multiple events in one day.

You don't need to rush to get in protein post-workout either. You could eat right after. You could eat 4-5 hours after. It's all good.
    Fuak, she beat me to it.

Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post

Apologies if this is bro-science but I heard it is important to get your protein in soon after training. I know the '30 minute anabolic window' is a bit of a marketing scam but I thought the concept is actually true. Like it's important to get protein in afterwards but doesn't necessarily have to be 30 mins after. Eg an hour after would be sufficient in order to stay anabolic and prevent going into a catabolic state? But 4-5 hours.... surely that's too long?!?!

Apologies if this is bro-science but I heard it is important to get your protein in soon after training. I know the '30 minute anabolic window' is a bit of a marketing scam but I thought the concept is actually true. Like it's important to get protein in afterwards but doesn't necessarily have to be 30 mins after. Eg an hour after would be sufficient in order to stay anabolic and prevent going into a catabolic state? But 4-5 hours.... surely that's too long?!?!

No. That is broscience. Re-read your first sentence.

The anabolic window is closer to 24-36 hours long. I'm not hungry after training, and I eat 5 hours later if I do get hungry at all. There's nothing 'wrong' with it.

Some will argue over "optimal" approaches and what not, but you gain still make gains regardless.

The anabolic window is closer to 24-36 hours long. I'm not hungry after training, and I eat 5 hours later if I do get hungry at all. There's nothing 'wrong' with it.
    Thanks very much for clearing that up!!!

Thanks very much for clearing that up!!!
    No problem. Disclaimer: Just make sure you ate your required intake in macros, micros, calories and specifically protein for the entire day. Ideally having spread out protein in 3 meals. Other than that, you're constantly anabolic and don't not need to worry about "eating your muscles" by not eating post workout.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Some will argue over "optimal" approaches and what not, but you gain still make gains regardless.
    this^

and a good read here on that:

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

You're going by outdated nutritional myths.

Whether it's eggs or if it's a box of cereal before bed. Eat what you enjoy that sees that you get your required macro nutrient and caloric numbers for the day.