milkl0ver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Too Much Cardio!?!?!??!?!? Lose Muscle??!!?!?!? WHAT DO I DO

Can running too much lose muscle strength? I don't realyl care about mass or weight just the strength.. and can you gain it back?

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Too Much Cardio!?!?!??!?!? Lose Muscle??!!?!?!? WHAT DO I DO

Originally posted by milkl0ver
    Can running too much lose muscle strength? I don't realyl care about mass or weight just the strength.. and can you gain it back?
    what do you mean, "what do I do"?

whats your situation?

need more info
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

Well, I decided to train my endurance so i'm starting to run a lot, like 20 minutes of a jogging pace each day, i take like 5 second breaks every 5 minutes while jogging, so will I lose any muscle strength?

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, I decided to train my endurance so i'm starting to run a lot, like 20 minutes of a jogging pace each day, i take like 5 second breaks every 5 minutes while jogging, so will I lose any muscle strength?
    ok
    firstly, you dont need to run everyday to train your endurance, 3-4 max is enough, its not the quantity, but trying to improve time, pace, etc that will build up endurance

you wont lose an strength provided you keep up your eating, are you also trying to bulk, if so, it would be wise to add like 200-300 cals a day extra
    - Bruce Lee

- Big Red

I'm not trying to bulk, just want the strength to remain.. If I want to train for endurance is it okay if i like run 3/4 of my full speed for like 5 min and stop?

exodus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Endurance training will affect you strength. Endurance training uses type I muscle fibres (slow-twitch), so if you run alot (long-distance, slow speed), your fibres will change their properties adapting to endurance type of training condition. And strength = more type II fibres. Understand now?

Unless you'll keep up with strength training too... you should worry about it.

I don't mean strength in my legs! I dnio't have to wory about that i'm already fast, i mean strength in my punch, arms, etc!!!! and also about my heart!

I don't mean strength in my legs! I dnio't have to wory about that i'm already fast, i mean strength in my punch, arms, etc!!!! and also about my heart!

Don't worry then... it won't take away upper-body strength.

ex banana-eater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by exodus

Don't worry then... it won't take away upper-body strength.
    it wont take away lower body strength either.

Originally posted by exodus
    your fibres will change their properties adapting to endurance type of training condition.

wrong. fast twitch fibers will remain fast twitch fibers, slow twitch fibers will remain slow twitch fibers.

if you continue to work out on a regular basis, and eat the amount of calories you need to replace from running, your strength will not wane.

I'm not trying to bulk, just want the strength to remain.. If I want to train for endurance is it okay if i like run 3/4 of my full speed for like 5 min and stop?
    no, run for prolonged periods of time if you want to recieve a better cardiovascular benefit.

Thanks man, i knew that what exodus was saying couldn't be true, (no offense to you exodus though)

bump everything ex banana eater said
    - Bruce Lee

- Big Red

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So you're saying strength gains aren't limited from running when there is proper recovery time and nutrition needs are met?

Yeti has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes, unless your training for a triatholon and running like 20+miles a week were you probably can't eat enough
    "i eat ya children"-Mike Tyson

healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) healthy n_fit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah I was thinking of it like that too. Ok.

Location: Runnin' a steel rod right through the middle of everybody's crap...
    AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by ex banana-eater

wrong. fast twitch fibers will remain fast twitch fibers, slow twitch fibers will remain slow twitch fibers.

What you forgot to consider are the INTERMEDIATE TWITCH FIBERS. These are the type that adapt to how they are trained.
    I wouldn't run for distance, instead, I would jump rope for about 10 minutes per day. That way, your not giving any intermediate fibers a chance to want to convert to slow twitch behavior.

fibers do not change their properties, including inter twitch fibers. all they do is hypertrophy, or atrophy, and in some cases they are the product of hyperplasia.

AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AzBadass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No, they don't change their properties. Part of intermediate twitch's properties are to perform as fast or slow twitch, depending on how they are worked. An intermediate fiber can not go into hypertrophy functioning as both, so it is forced to chose one in order to grow. (I wish jean was here to clear this up)

Originally posted by AzBadass
    No, they don't change their properties. Part of intermediate twitch's properties are to perform as fast or slow twitch, depending on how they are worked. An intermediate fiber can not go into hypertrophy functioning as both, so it is forced to chose one in order to grow. (I wish jean was here to clear this up)
    jean is a twelve year old who copied stuff off of websites... now for the real point

intermediate twitch fibers are not transient fibers. they do not play different roles. Simply, all they do is perform when you are doing sets between slow twitch and fast twitch.

Now I'm just confused. Everything I've ever read, or have been taught in school says that intermediate twitch fibers will temporarily CONVERT to fast or slow twitch depending on how they are trained.

IE: If you train them anaerobically, they become fast twitch: UNTIL you train them aerobically, then they become slow twitch.
    And if you don't train them at all, they lie in the 'in between' stage.

- Badass

Really? There are such things as intermediate twitch fibers? Let me research some more on the Internet about this...