new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) new_arnie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

armwrestling..what muscles are important?

Hi

I just had a debate with one of my buddies about which muscles are important for arm-wrestling..

he was determined that it would be all about the biceps, but I told him that was bull**** (I beat him in armwrestling before by the way lol)

I said lat and forearm strength are far more important..

what do you think is correct, any armwrestlers in here?

do you know what is best to become a good armwrestler? like which exercises do you have to do and with how many reps and stuff?

E-stats: 6'5" 575lbs 6%BF cheezefacta's Avatar
    cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would definately say shoulder strength is extremely important. If you just rotate your arm out to your side, your doing the same movement as a common RC exercise.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Grip strength and wrist strength are the main ones. You watch an arm wrestling match and you'll notice that often the guy who loses is the one whose wrist gets bent back so his back of hand nearly touches his foreaRM.

Hammer curls are important. Wrist rollers and grippers etc.

cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheezefacta has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MattyG
    Grip strength and wrist strength are the main ones. You watch an arm wrestling match and you'll notice that often the guy who loses is the one whose wrist gets bent back so his back of hand nearly touches his foreaRM.

Hammer curls are important. Wrist rollers and grippers etc.
    That makes sense...if you imagine the motion, the wrist/grip plays a huge part at the top of the movement where you use the explosive strength to start pushing the other arm down. Then about a quarter of the way down the shoulder area kicks in to assist the rest of the way.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by new_arnie
    Hi

I just had a debate with one of my buddies about which muscles are important for arm-wrestling..

he was determined that it would be all about the biceps, but I told him that was bull**** (I beat him in armwrestling before by the way lol)

I said lat and forearm strength are far more important..

what do you think is correct, any armwrestlers in here?

do you know what is best to become a good armwrestler? like which exercises do you have to do and with how many reps and stuff?
    Since it's mainly about leverage, I think forearm and wrist strength would be the most important so using CoC grippers, doing wrist curls, hammer curls, lever lifts, that kind of stuff would be useful I'd imagine. I'm not sure of how much a role it plays, but I'd also be dedicating time to r/c specific training, if for no other reason than to avoid injuries there. You could then supplement it all with a few exercises for the shoulders, triceps, back and biceps. But the main ones would definitely be forearms and wrists. The ultimate training of course is the real thing.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cheezefacta
    That makes sense...if you imagine the motion, the wrist/grip plays a huge part at the top of the movement where you use the explosive strength to start pushing the other arm down. Then about a quarter of the way down the shoulder area kicks in to assist the rest of the way.
    Ya if you've got a floppy wrist then all your energy is wasted. Of course, r/cuff is v important too. See so many people knacker (destroy) their arms/shoulders from wrestling. It's like, pull, pull, you can do it, pull a bit more {sudden jolt + popping sensation} - knackered rcuff/broken arm/pain.

Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shauze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Another important aspect of it is the length of your forearm. I'm tall and have long forearms, and although many people I have armwrestled are stronger then I am, I can usually win. The reason for this is that the longer your forearm is, the more mechanical advantage you have, allowing you to beat people that may be stronger then you but have shorter arms.

Originally Posted by Shauze
    Another important aspect of it is the length of your forearm. I'm tall and have long forearms, and although many people I have armwrestled are stronger then I am, I can usually win. The reason for this is that the longer your forearm is, the more mechanical advantage you have, allowing you to beat people that may be stronger then you but have shorter arms.
    LOL, that explains it! Im 6'5 and I went to the bar about 1/2 a year ago and everyone got drunk and there was an arm wrestling table. I owned people that looked like monsters at that game, when I had never really done any arm wrestling.

BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are so many different muscle groups involved in stabilizing your body during arm wrestling that you can't really pinpoint one. Somehow I can hold my own against guys w/ much more muscle mass and it's because, despite my thin forearms, I flex my chest, back, traps, etc to recruit more strength.
    "The chase is better than the catch."
    -Lemmy of Motorhead

"A girl's legs are her best friends, but even the best of friends must part." Redd Foxx

HCG: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4333923&referrerid=107338