Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000) animal2b is a name known to all. (+5000)

difference between weight lifter and body builder

I see a lot of postings on here where people say,

"I've been lifting weights for 5 years, but only have been body building for a year."

Lifting weights IS bodybuilding, correct? So, these people have been bodybuilding for 5 years, not 1. The question is, what differentiates the weight lifter and the body builder? Diet? Routine? Knowledge?

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Weightlifter is a broader term. It usually means training for strength, or maximum lifts, but technically, an athlete who wants to run faster, pitch harder, or jump higher, etc., and lifts towards that end is also a weightlifter.

Bodybuilder, on the other hand, lifts weights, but for the purposes of mainly appearance of size, symmetry, and definition.
    Time To Re-Schedule

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    the theoretical difference is that a bodybuilder is SOLELY interested in muscle develop for public EXHIBITION purposes.

so if you never plan on competing, you arn't really a bodybuilder. But i say **** it, i call myself whatever I want.

but in the context you used it, it usually means the person lifted weights every now and then over a 5yr span, then got serious about it for a year.
    <->

Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yea I consider myself just a weightlifter. I dont carea bout size really. My arms are kinda small but have a lot of strength. My friend calls me a freak.

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    case in point..

Originally Posted by DiamondDelts
    I still believe in progressive overload somewhat. But now I really focus on slow negatives and time under tension. T.U.T. is when the muscle is really being stressed, so I do not quickly "throw up" weights anymore just to go heavy. I also believe that it is important to hit the a muscle group from different angles and leverages for optimal muscle development. Not to simply go heavy on basic exercises from one angle. That one size fits all mentality is a major reason why some people have such a difficult time building muscle.

For the sake of example lets take the benchpress. The old me would bench with my back slightly arched for power, driving up with my legs as a power base. I also used a slightly narrower than shoulder width grip which also helped with getting big numbers. The result. Good numbers and awesome strength with severely limited size gains.

How do I bench now. I use a slightly wider than shoulder width grip which helps me use less triceps during the movement. Also, NO back arch. And finally, I know many here will disagree with me on this but I bench with my feet up on the bench. Why? Because I used to use them as my base of power to begin the initial push off. In effect assisting my pecs/delts in the lift.

Now when I bench there is no leg drive to help out. There is NO back arch for added power. The grip is wider so the pecs are forced to take up the slack where the closer grip and tri's would take over. So basically now my pecs are forced to do the BRUNT of the work now. And now my chest easily grows from benching 190lbs where powerbenching 340lbs for reps failed. I am now using my mind and technique to mold my body instead of depending on the weight to do it. Which is what bodybuilding is all about.

Weightlifting, by definition, is just about lifting a lot of weight. They usually don't care about looking "cut" or eating 100% clean like a bodybuilder necessarily (that's not to say that they don't eat clean, but they don't normally worry about gaining lean muscle mass, weightlifting has nothing to do with how you look, but what you can lift. I mean, for example, weightlifters or powerlifters may eat thousands and thousands and thousands of calories of food a day...and they need to cuz they lift such heavy weights that burns so many calories. So diet is one difference yea, BBers still eat more than the average person, but not as much as say, a powerlifter.

As for routine...BBers lift lighter weights and do higher reps than weightlifters. BBers, you could say, use a lot of tricks or "gimmicks" such as drop sets, supersets, negatives, TUT etc. These techniques do little to nothing for strength, but are great for muscle growth. Basically, BBing is just about how big you can get, not how strong. I mean, look at Ronnie Coleman. He's one BIG mofo haha, but there are guys half his size that are stronger than him (look at the Olympic weightlifters, a lot of them are under 6 feet and under 200 pounds).

And in explaining all this I realize that I kinda lumped powerlifters and weightlifters together, even though they are different...it was just to make a point.

But even so, I don't walk around saying "I'm a bodybuilder" to me that just sounds strange and you'd probably get weird looks from people. "I lift weights" or "I work out" is a much more reasonable response where people won't think you're some wacko haha.

Hope this helped.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    *stomps around* the difference isn't that 1 lifts more/less weight, does more/less types of lifts, it's that, by d-e-f-i-n-i-t-i-o-n, a bodybuilder plans to compete on stage. if you have no aspirations of competing, technically you're just a weight lifter

if you want to argue with that, go argue w/ whoever invented the english language.
    <->

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What about your sig? "Been bodybuilding for awhile..."

Oh, congratulations on 10,000 posts! Awesome!
    Time To Re-Schedule

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by animal2b

"I've been lifting weights for 5 years, but only have been body building for a year."

Lifting weights IS bodybuilding, correct? So, these people have been bodybuilding for 5 years, not 1. The question is, what differentiates the weight lifter and the body builder? Diet? Routine? Knowledge?
    Like the others have said, bodybuilding is more about aesthetics. Football players for example might do weight training twice a week most of the year, a little more in the off season, but it's geared toward developing power, strength, and overall conditioning. Some of the bigger guys, we call them forwards in our football codes over here, would be doing some hypertrophy training to maintain their size, but there is obviously no focus whatsoever on how it all looks.

So when those guys finish football they could say they've been weight training for a long time but are new to bodybuilding when they begin concentrating on lifting weights for non-functional reasons like size, proportion, definition, etc.

dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
    Yea I consider myself just a weightlifter. I dont carea bout size really. My arms are kinda small but have a lot of strength. My friend calls me a freak.

Really....
    Post clever signature here.....

anybody with 50+ reps feel free to give me one....

Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10) Furious E is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tyrbolift
    Weightlifter is a broader term. It usually means training for strength, or maximum lifts, but technically, an athlete who wants to run faster, pitch harder, or jump higher, etc., and lifts towards that end is also a weightlifter

NO. A weightlifter is someone who trains to improve their clean and jerk and snatch.

a weight trainer is the term youre searching for

khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "weightlifting" usually = Olympic lifting
    "weight training" is the corrent way to describe a situation where someone jsut lift weights because he likes to (or for whatever reason).
    "bodybuilding" = "weight training" + "diet" specifically to build muscle.

Originally Posted by Furious E
    NO. A weightlifter is someone who trains to improve their clean and jerk and snatch.

a weight trainer is the term youre searching for
    A quick google search showed three different dictionary references that define a weightlifter as someone who lifts a barbell for competition OR exercise.

Google: "weightlifter definition"
    Time To Re-Schedule

read what i said above - i don't give a **** about labels
    <->

I don't give a **** either.
    Time To Re-Schedule

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The question mark at the end of the sentence...makes it a question...not a statement.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by animal2b

Weightlifters simply concentrate on increasing overload weekly. A bodybuilder uses various tools such as t.u.t., drop set, slow negatives, different levarages, etc in conjunction with a high protein diet to build the maximum amount of muscle he or she can. Increasing lean body mass is the main concern here. And I really do get tired of people who say if you don't plan to compete you are not a bodybuilder. In my opinion, that is such BULL****. If you are using your brain to manipulate your body through various weightlifting techniques along with a stict diet, to me you ARE bodybuilding. I don't give a **** if you are 150lbs or 250lbs.

I don't know why people have it twisted now where they believe you have to be injecting all kinds of **** in you in order to compete with other behemoths to be considered a bodybuilder. All they are doing is building the their muscles up in an alll or nothing endeavor where the internal organs usually suffer from extended combos of chemicals placed in the body over long span of time. Basically sacrificing the internal for the external. I don't know what you want to call that, but I certainly don't call it bodybuilding.

I was raised to believe that bodybuilding was about building ones muscles, health, strength(to some extent), and overall well being. I believe this idea has become PERVERSED with competitive bodybuilding and the "get big at all costs" mentalilty it creates. The health part has basically been thrown to the wind. I don't call that bodybuilding. Maybe massbuilding would be a better term for it.
    Last edited by DiamondDelts; 08-13-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tell the difference.

Bodybuilders look better.

bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigfurnka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a weightlifter competes in the sport of olympic weightlifting, and tries to do the highest weight he can in the clean and jerk and snatch.

a bodybuilder trains to become more asthetically pleasing (bigger muscles, less bodyfat).

a powerlifter competes in the sport of powerlifting where he tries to lift as much weight as possible in the bench, squat, and deadlift. some people specialize in a lift.

a weight trainer is a person who lifts to have good physical health.
    Stats
    Bench: 225
    Safety Squat: 430*10 ~ 550
    Power Clean:225
    Push Press: 205
    Body Weight: ~220
    Height: 6' 2"

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you want to get technical about it:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=weightlifter

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bodybuilder

A bodybuilder is just a sub-category. As in, all bodybuilders are weightlifters, but not all weightlifters are bodybuilders.
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I competed in a minutiae competition, I plan to compete in other small competitions for fun but I don't call myself a Bbuider because of that, I call myself a Body Builder because I am BUILDING MY BODY!
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Thumbs up

Weightlifters simply concentrate on increasing overload weekly. A bodybuilder uses various tools such as t.u.t., drop set, slow negatives, different levarages, etc in conjunction with a high protein diet to build the maximum amount of muscle he or she can. Increasing lean body mass is the main concern here. And I really do get tired of people who say if you don't plan to compete you are not a bodybuilder. In my opinion, that is such BULL****. If you are using your brain to manipulate your body through various weightlifting techniques along with a stict diet, to me you ARE bodybuilding. I don't give a **** if you are 150lbs or 250lbs.

I don't know why people have it twisted now where they believe you have to be injecting all kinds of **** in you in order to compete with other behemoths to be considered a bodybuilder. All they are doing is building the their muscles up in an alll or nothing endeavor where the internal organs usually suffer from extended combos of chemicals placed in the body over long span of time. Basically sacrificing the internal for the external. I don't know what you want to call that, but I certainly don't call it bodybuilding.

I was raised to believe that bodybuilding was about building ones muscles, health, strength(to some extent), and overall well being. I believe this idea has become PERVERSED with competitive bodybuilding and the "get big at all costs" mentalilty it creates. The health part has basically been thrown to the wind. I don't call that bodybuilding. Maybe massbuilding would be a better term for it.
    Excellent post DD. I have no desire to compete at all yet I'm incredibly determined to reach my physical peak, whatever that is. I don't like the direction the sport is going on a professional level either, even though it's just a case of evolution and the guys from the past would be doing a lot of the same things if they were competing today.

The "get big at any cost" approach simply isn't promoting a healthy image. The distended gut thing is issue #1 and time will tell if the new rule is for real. Whether it's hgh, eating too much, whatever, is irrelevant... it just needs to be sorted out for the sake of the sport. I've said it before, they're building amazing mass all over, especially their backs which are phenomenal, but I can't get past mid sections that stick out as much as the chest. It's strange how you'd never place in a contest let alone win one without massive legs, something not everyone out there would perceive as a flaw, yet you can win with a gut.

But like you summed up, bodybuilding doesn't necessarily have to be about contests. It's about building muscles and creating a physique that looks impressive. You don't need to take steroids or be standing on a stage next to guys in a contest to be a bodybuilder--you're absolutely right.

hyper_metabolic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyper_metabolic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hyper_metabolic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    bodybuilders' have bigger cocks.

Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jon Elway has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't give a **** either.
    I dont give a god damn **** **** either. I AM A WEIGHTLIFTER

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Once you devote an entire day to hamstrings, you're a bodybuilder.
    I don't know either lol

pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100) pounce is not very well liked. (-100)

Cool

nobody gives a ****, dayum!

dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100)
    The difference is that weightlifters become national heroes and get their pictures on the wheaties box, bodybuilders get stuck doing gay porn.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Weightlifters compete in the clean and jerk and the snatch. Nobody else should call themselves weightlifters, IMO.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100) dirk digler is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2
    Weightlifters compete in the clean and jerk and the snatch. Nobody else should call themselves weightlifters, IMO.
    exactly. Going to the gym makes you a weight trainer!

Post #19 really answers it.

If we are discussing terminology and semantics, and just ignore official dictionaries, then it's really just call it whatever you want, and who cares. There is no authority on the matter.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    And I really do get tired of people who say if you don't plan to compete you are not a bodybuilder. In my opinion, that is such BULL****. If you are using your brain to manipulate your body through various weightlifting techniques along with a stict diet, to me you ARE bodybuilding. I don't give a **** if you are 150lbs or 250lbs.
    I feel the same way. I am trying to shape my body to have good symmetry and I could care less about strength. Nice bonus IMO but I'm not looking to set any personal records. I look at myself and determine if I need some more delts, calves, etc. and they try to come up with a plan to bring certain areas up to proportion. Being able to bench 400lbs isn't going to impress anyone if you just look like a fat f**K. No offense to all the strong fat f**ks out there

And the arguement concerning "functional strength"... well, if you're a bodybuilder you're not exactly a weakling compared to the majority of the people that don't exercise, but I also haven't had the need yet to push 400lbs off my chest in my daily life.

I guess the bottom line is whatever you're into. I work on perfect form, slow controlled reps while feeling the contraction, and short rest periods. Not to conducive to big strength gains but sure works well for me for hypertrophy.

I love it when people ask me how much I bench and I say "I don't"
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron