Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    donkeykongking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press vs. Push Ups?

Hey, I've been lifting weights for about 7 months, so I'm still relativley new to all of it's intricacies.
    I was wondering what's the difference between push ups and bench press? It seems like a push up is the same motion as a bench press except instead of lying on your back and pushing upwards, your hands are on the ground and you push your body upwards. Do these two excercises work the same muscles. I've noticed that since I've started doing 100 pushups/night, my max bench has gone up quite a bit.
    Also, I weight around 160lbs. so when I do a correct pushup, am I basically lifting my entire body weight?
    Sorry for being a bit wordy, but hopefully you guys could help me out.

Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    there basically an up-side down bench press the way i see it,push-ups are great for the chest.

i think you only lift 60% of your bodyweight on push-ups though,not sure

Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Senor macho has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    your max bench is most likely increasing because you are benching, not because you are doing pushups

Originally Posted by Senor macho
    your max bench is most likely increasing because you are benching, not because you are doing pushups
    True, but I went from a 180max to a 195 max in 1 week. That was the week that I started doing pushups, which is why I thought there might be some sort of connection.

MDF__If you ain't Cav... BiGD_49's Avatar
    BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BiGD_49 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you max every week?
    Check out my Bill Starr 5x5 journal!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117340391

Hunting for moar fibras martydaman's Avatar
    martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000) martydaman is just really nice. (+1000)
    pushups work, but you eventually plateu after you get used to your bodyweight.
    "A good thread is like a miniskirt. Short enough to keep you interested, and long enough to cover the entire subject"

Originally Posted by BiGD_49
    you max every week?
    I had done a max 2 weeks ago, then last next week I was really busy and unable to get out to the gym, so I started doing pushups everynight. This week I was back in the gym and wanted to see if doing pushups was helping any so I did max again.

pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100) pumpster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Pushups are excellent, the only problem is that you can't adjust the resistance. Get some straps like these and they can be substituted for benches:

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products....4&productid=12

FYI pushups shouldn't be done every day, just as weights shouldn't be used every day.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    If they're bodyweight you probably can once it's easy, but yeah, new records should have rest afterwards. I want to get some of those lifeline ones myself.

Pushups are closed chain like squats,, so they're probably better than a bench press.

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    whoa wtf! tyciol, of TT?!?!?!

hardcore

pushups are ok (i cant do many) but planche **** might be a good alternative to just normal pushups dudes. You can start by doing pushups in the usual way but with your hands placed further back towards your feet, point your fingers towards your feet so as not to **** your wrists
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Problem with pushups is that it's hard to add resistance. I like to get a friend to push down on my back as I do push ups, but you have to make sure your friend knows what he's doing. For practicality I'd say bench is better. You can easily monitor your progress as the weights are all measured, whereas if you get a friend to push you down in pushups you never really know how hard you're pressing and wheter your getting stronger. Weighted pushups are definately very good imho - a general rule is that a movement that involves the body moving through space as in squats, pullups, dips and pressups is better than the version of the same movement that involves no movement of the body through space - legpress, pulldowns, dipmachine, bench press.

Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Judge N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MattyG
    Problem with pushups is that it's hard to add resistance. I like to get a friend to push down on my back as I do push ups, but you have to make sure your friend knows what he's doing. For practicality I'd say bench is better. You can easily monitor your progress as the weights are all measured, whereas if you get a friend to push you down in pushups you never really know how hard you're pressing and wheter your getting stronger. Weighted pushups are definately very good imho - a general rule is that a movement that involves the body moving through space as in squats, pullups, dips and pressups is better than the version of the same movement that involves no movement of the body through space - legpress, pulldowns, dipmachine, bench press.
    i've seen some kind of vest that you can slap a couple 45's in,you guys know what i'm talkin about?anyways that would be good to increase resistance in push-ups and body weight exercises in general.

MichaDE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello,

Sorry to restart an old thread, however, I am looking to just lean up and get my body toned up more and I was wondering if push-ups would be good enough for this? Seeming as I do not wish to add muscle mass, but merely tone things up.

Thanks a bunch!

Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MichaDE View Post
    Hello,

Sorry to restart an old thread, however, I am looking to just lean up and get my body toned up more and I was wondering if push-ups would be good enough for this? Seeming as I do not wish to add muscle mass, but merely tone things up.

Thanks a bunch!
    Make a new thread next time, this is useless. In this case particular, use the search button. Toning is done by losing fat, so eat clean and do some cardio.

Hm, I found it to be rather relative, considering the original poster also had virtually the same question.

Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10) Flying_Fox is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hm, I found it to be rather relative, considering the original poster also had virtually the same question.
    No, the question is entirerly different. if it were virtually the same, your question would have been already answered.

You are asking how to lose fat.

TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheClips is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hello,

Thanks a bunch!
    To give you a straight answer, in order to lose fat, you do have to worry about your diet. At the same time, building muscle helps you to lose fat in the long run. If you are looking to build/tone muscle without bulking up, then push ups as opposed to bench press would be a good exercise for you.

BTW, you did use the search function for this, didn't you? I assume that you didn't just find the oldest thread you could and then bump it, as Flying Fox seems to be saying. Either way, who cares? You had a question and you asked!

Yes, it was searched, The Clips. Thanks a bunch for a helpful reply rather than a useless flame

ranger1975 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello - I'm new here.

Wanted to start my first post off by saying that I am currently testing out how strong I can get from doing push-ups, pull-ups, & dips only.

I am going to do them for 6 months (about a month and a half in now) then walk into a gym cold, do one warm up set, then try to bench 300lbs.

A little background on me - I've been pretty much working out my entire life with weights only. The most I ever benched was 380lbs (naturally) and I weighed in at about 240lbs when I did that. I loved the feeling of being that strong and never gave the other side a try before until now and I must say...........I actually like doing the aerobic stuff better. Why? Because for some reason and maybe it's just because I have never stuck with it for as long as I have this time around, I feel stronger.

To give even more detail - I currently weight approx 195lbs and haven't touched a wieght in about 2 1/2 years so this should be an interesting attempt. I'm not doing this to prove a point or anything (it actually started out as a bet but I then began to start taking it seriously as in, I want to really do this for myself) I just like to challenge myself and love working out in general (there just is no better activity in my opinion).

So what do you think? Do I stand a chance?

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

pushups are very underrated
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

ranger1975 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry - I could have sworn this thread was under the "Exercises" section and not this one - I don't mean to bump this thread yet again but do threads get moved around here?

thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000) thedestro is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Any exercise that involves the movement of the human body through the space is going to superior. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to add lots more resistance to the pushup beyond bodyweight, and thus we settle for the bench press.

subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im pretty weak, i used to bench press around 120-140 at my school's gym along with other exercises and had not seen much chest improvement. Over the summer I started doing pushups. I started at like 70/80 per week. I would do as many as i could in the first 1-3 sets then even out at about 8-10 every other set. Im now up to 150 pushups total. I do about 30 my first set. Ive seen much more growth than when i bench pressed. It might just be because im weak so pushing my bodyweight is hard work on the muscles

razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) razors_edge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a 65 pound younger brother that I have hop on my back while I'm doing pushups.

Honestly, I have seen no progress from push ups.
    I rep back, just sayin.

"What you eat today, determines what you'll bench tomorrow"

Stay tuned with my Transformation Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115203951

Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Am i the only one to notice the thread is from 2005??

That's on hell of a BUMP!

zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zrage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    pushups with 1 or 2 45 plates on your bag = sexy for an awesome chest...

i know a friend that only did 10 sets of that on his chest workouts along with 3-4 sets of dbell flys.. and after 3 months that fakers chest was looking neat-o

Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chommer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    pushups are bodyweight exercises.
    bench press is EXTRA WEIGHT.

upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500) upperg is not very helpful. (-500)
    wear a heavy backpack while doing pushups

Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Animal. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do weighted pressups at the end of my workout 50 lbs on my back
    To the pain

kickboxer

Sebastian80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thedestro View Post
    Any exercise that involves the movement of the human body through the space is going to superior. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to add lots more resistance to the pushup beyond bodyweight, and thus we settle for the bench press.
    People keep saying that, but it's not true at all. You can do all sort of push-ups. For instance, I do bare knuckle push-ups (75) and then I do inclined push-ups. I can do a maximum of 30-32 of the latter. I'm also adding one handed push-ups, though I cannot do many of those. If I really wanted, I guess I could do inclined one-handed push-ups, but I doubt I can do even one.