Thread: sets

big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sets

I started training with 12-15 sets a muscle and quickly rose to 15-20 sets. I burned myself out for a while although I did get gains. I was convinced to lower sets and now I'm doing 6-8 sets each. Now i feel bettr about my training and am getting better gains. But my question is ican I lower sets even more and possibly get better gains? I never had a beginner's routine and that seems to be just what I needed. I feel like I can lower sets without a problem but I just want other opinions.

Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Siafu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by big fig
    I started training with 12-15 sets a muscle and quickly rose to 15-20 sets. I burned myself out for a while although I did get gains. I was convinced to lower sets and now I'm doing 6-8 sets each. Now i feel bettr about my training and am getting better gains. But my question is ican I lower sets even more and possibly get better gains? I never had a beginner's routine and that seems to be just what I needed. I feel like I can lower sets without a problem but I just want other opinions.
    Why not do both every once in a while, because they work for you.

Just remember to have your "light weeks", I'm not talking about tampons neither
    I'm talking about no carb loading before training, just to maintain and not clearly go all the way with your sets. Ofcourse you still drink postworkout shakes, but with lower dosage.

BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50) BOWIE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yea, switch it up. I used to do great on low-volume/high intensity training but recently my gains tapered off. Once I switched to high-vol my gains went through the roof. When my body adapts, I'll go back to low-vol.
    "The chase is better than the catch."
    -Lemmy of Motorhead

"A girl's legs are her best friends, but even the best of friends must part." Redd Foxx

HCG: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4333923&referrerid=107338

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think you would be much better off monitoring total volume and intensity instead of number of sets.

you say your doing 6-8 sets.... for the rep ranges I train in that could mean anywhere from 18 to 120 total reps, and the intensity would probably very from 60-95%... so you can see just monitoring and changing sets is probably an over simplified manner of changing your workout
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BOWIE
    Yea, switch it up. I used to do great on low-volume/high intensity training but recently my gains tapered off. Once I switched to high-vol my gains went through the roof. When my body adapts, I'll go back to low-vol.
    Good idea--and you don't have to just do one or the other, you can alternate between the two each workout, or do something like, 1 hi, 1 hi, 1 lo, repeat. Especially if the specific workouts are more frequent than once every 7 days (once a week).
    Time To Re-Schedule

Lookin at the Big Picture BernieD's Avatar
    BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50) BernieD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well for smaller muscles like bi's, tri's and shoulders you could keep it to about 9-10 sets, but do like 12 for chest back and legs. That's pretty much what I'm doing now. Your smaller muscle groups don't need tons of sets to grow.
    The complete shoulder and RC injury thread, written by myself:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=529968 (MASSIVE NEW UPDATE AS OF 10/6/05)

Form is paramount.

Focus, focus, focus.

big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big fig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks folks. I like the idea of mixing up the volume. I will try that.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Smart.

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by big fig
    I wouldn't lower the sets anymore. IMO, one of the reasons I enjoy mid to high volume is because I get to incorporate different excercises. The more excercises you have, the more they will develop the muscle from different parts of it to give you a nice 3 dimensional shaped body part. What do you want to do, 3 sets for chest now? 6-8 sets is good enough.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    I agree with Defiant, it's smart.

There's a table of loading guidelines for a training year by Chernyak that you might be interested in which looks like this:

Weeks Volume Intensity
    12-15 Medium ... Medium
    9-10 Medium-High ... Low
    6-7 Low ... Medium
    3-4 High ... Medium
    3-4 Medium ... High
    3-4 Low ... High
    2-3 High ... High
    1-2 Low ... Low

As you can see, most of the year should be medium volume + medium intensity. At the bottom you've got 2-3 weeks of high volume + high intensity. 3-4 weeks of low volume + high intensity. It makes a lot of sense. A lot more sense than going flat out or half-assed all year.