headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) headturner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Anti-depressants and Training

Can anyone advise on experience with taking an anti-depressant (mine wil be for depression/binge eating issues) and working out? I know that oftentimes people take on an "I don't care" attitude. Has this been the case for anyone and have they found it hard to find motivation or get out of bed to workout?
    Thanks.

All replies are greatly appreciated and I understand that this is a controversial issue. Please do not argue the effects or legitimacy of mental health drugs, just please offer experience.

dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10) dominique is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hi headturner,

i've been on the antidepressant lexapro for about a year and a half, and additionally on lamictil for bipolar for 6 months (also prescribed for treatment resistant depression). i am diagnosed with major depression and bulemia.

different antidepressants affect people differently (such as prozac different from paxil or lexapro,etc), therefore my experience is specific to the meds i'm on....

so here goes...i have NO NEGATIVE effects from either medication i am on. i have not had an ED episode since starting the lamictil (after 10 years of eating disorders). my dedication, motivation, and discipline have never been so strong and stable (the key word here is STABLE, which is a first for me). i am getting stronger each week, and i have dropped about 5% bodyfat.

which med are you going to be taking? i wish you the best of luck.

Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The only anti-depressents that would affect your training are the more dangerous ones that restrict dietary intake (MAOI's). These restrict various foods that increase the levels of tyramine and can lead to hypertention. The ssri's generally produce fatigue initially but overall tolerance develops. Taking anti-depressents will not affect your training in the slightest.

if anything it will increase motivation, will power, effiacy.

p.s. it might help you if your cutting as the effects on the seronergic cells of the hypothalamus supresses appetetite somewhat.
    Last edited by Celticfan; 08-11-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by headturner
    Can anyone advise on experience with taking an anti-depressant (mine wil be for depression/binge eating issues) and working out? I know that oftentimes people take on an "I don't care" attitude. Has this been the case for anyone and have they found it hard to find motivation or get out of bed to workout?
    Thanks.

All replies are greatly appreciated and I understand that this is a controversial issue. Please do not argue the effects or legitimacy of mental health drugs, just please offer experience.
    It really depends on which one you take, and your reaction to it.

An "I don't care" attitude is probably the result of undermedication, not the drug itself. Serotonin is associated with a feeling of "well being", but these drugs don't change peoples personalities completely. There may be a possibility that someone OBSESSED with working out might lose that obsessions as the SSRIs work for OCD, even undiagnosed.

The SSRIs may initially cause you to lose weight, but then gain it back. The companies don't say this but I believe they effect carbohydrate metabolism/insulin sensitivity or both.

There really are different types of depression, and the catecholamine theory of depression may not be the whole answer.

Example: some people with Dysthymia have HIGHER than normal levels of serotonin, and don't respond well to SSRIs. They seem to respond better to different classes of drugs.

Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Celticfan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    It really depends on which one you take, and your reaction to it.

An "I don't care" attitude is probably the result of undermedication, not the drug itself. Serotonin is associated with a feeling of "well being", but these drugs don't change peoples personalities completely. There may be a possibility that someone OBSESSED with working out might lose that obsessions as the SSRIs work for OCD, even undiagnosed.

The SSRIs may initially cause you to lose weight, but then gain it back. The companies don't say this but I believe they effect carbohydrate metabolism/insulin sensitivity or both.

There really are different types of depression, and the catecholamine theory of depression may not be the whole answer.

Example: some people with Dysthymia have HIGHER than normal levels of serotonin, and don't respond well to SSRIs. They seem to respond better to different classes of drugs.
    The ssri's don't work specifically by enhancing levels of serotonin as in a direct agonist like Exctasy would, they make the post-synapatic membrane more sensitiive to the production of serotonin as well as blocking its reuptake.

I wouldn't say one would lose their obessiveness wit working out.

btw add me to msn defiant

juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000) juanca is just really nice. (+1000)
    Listen to celticfan ladies, hes a SMART guy, and he has the physique to back it up.

He isnt just all talk like so many here.

JC
    "Wow Strong Arms"

sophiemol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy antidepressants

I have been on an anti-depressant for over 10 years now. I've currently been on Effexor AND wellbutrin for 3 years now. I take them for major depression only, although I have anorexic tendancies.

Interestingly enough, I've found that since I've stepped up my training, the exercise has PROFOUNDLY affected my depression (for the better ). However, I find that I'm becoming a bit more obsessive about it and picking up some of my anorexic thinking patterns. I'm not sure if I would be doing this with/without the anti-depressants. It's almost as if exercising for 45 min wasnt't enough, then 1 hour a day wasn't enough, now 1 1/2 isn't enough...I really have to force myself to leave the gym at times or not to go altogether.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Celticfan
    The ssri's don't work specifically by enhancing levels of serotonin as in a direct agonist like Exctasy would, they make the post-synapatic membrane more sensitiive to the production of serotonin as well as blocking its reuptake.

I wouldn't say one would lose their obessiveness wit working out.

btw add me to msn defiant
    They are re-uptake inhibitors, which increases the amount of time serotonin spends in the synaptic cleft. The body reacts by increasing the amount of receptors in the synapse, increasing the effect of serotonin.

Sounds like I wasn't clear previosly.

When I said "obsessiveness", I meant in a clinical sense. SSRIs are the primary drugs used to treat OCD. All will work, though only some are officially "tested" for OCD.

My point is that if someone works out excessively DUE TO OCD or some kind of BDD, they probably will not work out as much. Which would be an indication of the drugs effectiveness. Just as if someone who likes going to Atlantic City to gamble would still do so and probably enjoy it more given treatment with an SSRI. However, the compulsive gambler would probably stop or at least reduce to a "normal" amount.

I know you are aware that most psychological disorders are on a continuum and not "either/or". From working in gyms and being around the industry, I believe that degrees of OCD and BDD, some sub-clinical but many not are VERY prevalent in many "gym rats".
    Last edited by Defiant1; 08-12-2005 at 02:08 PM.

Smile

Originally Posted by sophiemol
    I have been on an anti-depressant for over 10 years now. I've currently been on Effexor AND wellbutrin for 3 years now. I take them for major depression only, although I have anorexic tendancies.

Interestingly enough, I've found that since I've stepped up my training, the exercise has PROFOUNDLY affected my depression (for the better ). However, I find that I'm becoming a bit more obsessive about it and picking up some of my anorexic thinking patterns. I'm not sure if I would be doing this with/without the anti-depressants. It's almost as if exercising for 45 min wasnt't enough, then 1 hour a day wasn't enough, now 1 1/2 isn't enough...I really have to force myself to leave the gym at times or not to go altogether.
    Just so you know, your analysis of your treatment/anorexia is probably correct. Effexor is an SSRI that is also works on NE. Wellbutrin is little bit of a mystery, but seems to be an NERi that in higher doses effects Dopamine.

NE is associated with "motivation", so your anorexia may be "motivated" more, to put it colloquially. In essense, providing you with energy to indulge your "problem". This by the way is the probable route of some AD related suicides: because of delayed full effect, the initial "feel good" is just enough to give the person the energy to complete a previously decided or considered act. Anyway, regarding your feelings, Check with your P-Doc.

AN is tough, and most likely would take a high dose SSRI like Prozac (which has a powerful SSRI effect) to work.

Strangely, sometimes the "milder" the disorder, the higher the dosage that is needed.

Check with your P-Doc.
    Last edited by Defiant1; 08-12-2005 at 05:20 PM.

sophiemol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face hmmm that's food for thought

hmmm...very interesting and that makes a lot of sense to me. I'm 31 and until I had my first major depressive episode (22) I never had any anorectic thoughts, etc...now it seems to have become a coping mechanism when things get bad. Although right now things are going fairly well..

Fortunately, I do have a great relationship with my psychiatrist, who is one of the rare breeds who does talk therapy as well. I've noticed on the Wellbutrin Rx forms that it shouldn't be given to anorectics because of the seizure risk...

AN is tough, and most likely would take a high dose SSRI like Prozac (which has a powerful SSRI effect) to work.

Strangely, sometimes the "milder" the disorder, the higher the dosage that is needed.

Tell me about it. I'm on the maximum dosages for both effexor and wellbutrin....

Originally Posted by sophiemol
    hmmm...very interesting and that makes a lot of sense to me. I'm 31 and until I had my first major depressive episode (22) I never had any anorectic thoughts, etc...now it seems to have become a coping mechanism when things get bad. Although right now things are going fairly well..

Fortunately, I do have a great relationship with my psychiatrist, who is one of the rare breeds who does talk therapy as well. I've noticed on the Wellbutrin Rx forms that it shouldn't be given to anorectics because of the seizure risk...

Tell me about it. I'm on the maximum dosages for both effexor and wellbutrin....
    It seems that many "disorders" may be manifestations of the same problem. There is significant comorbitity of affective disorders and alcoholism, compulsive gambling, eating disorders etc. Genetically, they may be on the same marker. A person with alcoholic parents is more likely to develop depression or OCD etc. There is NO connection between schizophrenia and affective disorders.

An analogy is the way the same allergen may cause different symptoms in different people.

It is REALLY great that your P-doc does therapy too. Many just bang out prescriptions without listening. Especially given that there seems to be differences in types of depression and causes.

It's a shame, because medical school encourages those with an aptitude for memorizing, while effective doctoring requires knowledge with exceptional analytical ability.