Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Getting Bigger Each Day. FaceThePain's Avatar
    FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000) FaceThePain is just really nice. (+1000)
    Smith machines are great for those who workout alone, just like selectorized machine, powerec gyms, etc.
    Less than 11% bodyfat, and STILL no overly shown abs.
    **** genetics lol.

boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea, i am just waiting for the price on this unit to go down a little bit from $749(shipped), and I will pull the trigger on it.

The Marcy Diamond Elite Personal Trainer is a complete, easy to use home gym. Get all the strength training you need from lat pulldowns and ab crunches to tricep kickbacks and rear deltoids—the Marcy Smith machine allows you to tighten and strengthen all your major muscle groups. Heavy-duty tubular steel construction, chrome guide rods and 2000 lb. tensile strength aircraft cables for durability and superior performance.

* 2" x 2.75" and 2" x 2" heavy-duty tubular steel construction
    * Durable white powder coat finish
    * Cable cross overs
    * 3.75" nylon pulleys with sealed ball bearings
    * 2000-lb. tensile strength aircraft cable
    * High quality 1" chrome guide rods
    * Smith's "Ultra-Guide" linear bearings assures smoothest movement
    * Commercial grade pop pins adjustments with tightening feature
    * Frame structure features 7-degree slant designed to accommodate the natural upper and lower body movements
    * "Off the floor" base frame design provides increased stability
    * Adjustable bar catches and safety stoppers
    * Cage uprights feature chromed diamond striker plates and commercial grade bar and safety catches
    * Diamond plated non-slip foot brace for seated row exercises
    * 6 Olympic plate storage pegs
    * Includes lat bar, tricep rope, shiver bar, ankle strap, single handle and chromed V-bar
    * AB4050 multi-function bench included with preacher pad and Olympic sleeve on leg developer
    * Dual action leg developer with 6 oversized roller pads and row/curl handle
    * Proper pivot point on leg developer for proper muscle isolation
    * High density deluxe boxed upholstery
    * Chrome sliding track for easy pop pin back pad angle adjustment
    * Assembly required
    * Recommended 2 people for assembly.
    * Approximate assembly time: Approx. 4 hours
    * Assembled dimensions: 95" x 79" x 86"
    * Weight: 445 lbs.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I have always found, with smith machines, that you must buy a good high end machine for it to really be useful in the long run. Linear bearings, good welds, good bar and hook setup.
    I had smith, power rack, and multi gyms, I would go back to a smith or multi gym for the home
    I like the bodysolid series 7 GYM setup, it has the smith setup as well as gunracks and heavy spotter arms to work as a power rack too, with lat pulldown, pec deck, and low row
    Anyone who tells you that one machine just sucks, obviously does not use one to their benefit, a good smith machine is an excellent piece of equipment, a bad one does suck
    step up and get a good one if you want one, otherwise get a power rack
    http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Item.a...es+7+Smith+Gym
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

blackbirdpilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have this unit. For the money its great. I picked mine up from Sams for something around $388. Apparently that was a ridiculously good price.
    I've used is regularly for over a year and offer the following observations.
    For reference I'm 6'4".
    Its very solid though it is a little bit cheap looking when compared to the higher quality pieces of equipment.
    I have tried out the fly/pec deck and it works ok for me but I really never use it. I just wanted to try everything out when I got it.
    The lower safety pegs for the barbell are just adequate. You have to get the bench positioned just right so that you don't bang into them with the bar when benching.
    It would be nice if there were more adjustment holes for the pegs.
    Since it has two upper pull down pulleys each one only equates to 50% of the plates loaded. This causes issues when using a lat bar because the limit is something like 250lbs so when using a lat bar you are only effectively lifting 125lbs max.
    I overcame that by using both pulleys with the single grab handles and doing my lats that way. Actually works really well for wide grip.
    The curl attachment is completely useless. Its way to short and just doesn't work for me at all. I took that handle off and never put it back. I can still use the preacher pad with an EZ curl bar.
    The smith machine is a really cheap setup but it works pretty well and it solid. I rarely use it. Mainly only for hitting my calves.
    When doing calves using a board under my toes I have to be careful not to hit my head on the top crossbar.
    In retrospect I really would like something similar to the cage with the safety bar that goes all the way across so if I bench to failure I don't have to worry about getting the bar on the lower peg.
    It also has a pretty enormous footprint so be prepared to dedicate a lot of space to it.
    I wouldn't have paid $800-1000 for this machine but so far it has done everything I need it to do.

Originally Posted by boooey View Post
    yea, i am just waiting for the price on this unit to go down a little bit from $749(shipped), and I will pull the trigger on it.

The Marcy Diamond Elite Personal Trainer is a complete, easy to use home gym. Get all the strength training you need from lat pulldowns and ab crunches to tricep kickbacks and rear deltoids?the Marcy Smith machine allows you to tighten and strengthen all your major muscle groups. Heavy-duty tubular steel construction, chrome guide rods and 2000 lb. tensile strength aircraft cables for durability and superior performance.

* 2" x 2.75" and 2" x 2" heavy-duty tubular steel construction
    * Durable white powder coat finish
    * Cable cross overs
    * 3.75" nylon pulleys with sealed ball bearings
    * 2000-lb. tensile strength aircraft cable
    * High quality 1" chrome guide rods
    * Smith's "Ultra-Guide" linear bearings assures smoothest movement
    * Commercial grade pop pins adjustments with tightening feature
    * Frame structure features 7-degree slant designed to accommodate the natural upper and lower body movements
    * "Off the floor" base frame design provides increased stability
    * Adjustable bar catches and safety stoppers
    * Cage uprights feature chromed diamond striker plates and commercial grade bar and safety catches
    * Diamond plated non-slip foot brace for seated row exercises
    * 6 Olympic plate storage pegs
    * Includes lat bar, tricep rope, shiver bar, ankle strap, single handle and chromed V-bar
    * AB4050 multi-function bench included with preacher pad and Olympic sleeve on leg developer
    * Dual action leg developer with 6 oversized roller pads and row/curl handle
    * Proper pivot point on leg developer for proper muscle isolation
    * High density deluxe boxed upholstery
    * Chrome sliding track for easy pop pin back pad angle adjustment
    * Assembly required
    * Recommended 2 people for assembly.
    * Approximate assembly time: Approx. 4 hours
    * Assembled dimensions: 95" x 79" x 86"
    * Weight: 445 lbs.

boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boooey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea.. i ended up getting this unit from Dick's.. i also posted my thoughts on the unit here in this forum if anyone hasn't seen them already.

its a very solid unit

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by boooey View Post
    yea.. i ended up getting this unit from Dick's.. i also posted my thoughts on the unit here in this forum if anyone hasn't seen them already.

its a very solid unit

Ummm...this IS your thread.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"

elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50) elmerfud will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just went through the whole smith machine thing too. I ended up buying the Powertec workbench rack with the lat attachment. It was a bit more money than the smith machines but its built better.

A smith machine does 2 things for you. It stabilizes the weights, which can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. And it prevents the weights from falling on you. Properly used, a rack prevents the weights from falling too. But it doesn't stabilize them.

I tried several of these smith machines. I guess they work but there was something about the stabilized motion I didn't like. Honestly, if I wanted that stabilized motion, I would buy a leverage machine, especially one with a squat attachment.

I didn't understand how one would do a squat with a smith machine that had a slanted bar. It seemed as though I was moving forward and backwards when going up and down.

The one thing I do miss with my setup is the pec deck. I had a Bodysolid 2550 before this and it had one. I might buy a stand alone pec deck or make something. In the meantime I'll try dumbell flies.

I also didn't like the motion of the linear bearings on some of the smith cages. Seemed sticky to me. And that included a Body Solid Series 7, which surprised me. Maybe it wasn't set up right.
    Last edited by elmerfud; 01-08-2008 at 08:02 PM.