Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigga1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

does boxing build muscle?

I take boxing 3 times a week and I don't want to be like HUGE, I just want to be normal size and have decent muscle. I was wondering, should I weight train while boxing or is boxing enough to build muscle?

watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't know about gaining muscle but i know its great cardio.

LD_18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by watchandsee23
    I don't know about gaining muscle but i know its great cardio.
    correct, but in tranin to box alotta people include a weight program so thats where the muscle comes from

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigga1234
    I take boxing 3 times a week and I don't want to be like HUGE, I just want to be normal size and have decent muscle. I was wondering, should I weight train while boxing or is boxing enough to build muscle?
    Hitting a heavy bag can build muscle because it's a resistance exercise. You're not going to get really big doing so though.

And don't worry, if you don't want to get huge it won't happen. You have to work very hard and have a specific diet and training program to get "huge". Be careful when you say that, I have friends that would tear somebody apart for saying something like that.

King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000) King Baer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry for hijacking this thread on this brief tangent, but Smokeater--you train MMA, right? I see a list of supplements below... what is your take on supplementation, and which would you recommend? I suppose you can PM me with that, or just post it up... it would make for a good read.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by King Baer
    Sorry for hijacking this thread on this brief tangent, but Smokeater--you train MMA, right? I see a list of supplements below... what is your take on supplementation, and which would you recommend? I suppose you can PM me with that, or just post it up... it would make for a good read.
    I'll start another thread about this so we don't take away from this thread. And there are other MMA guys here too that may have some advice too.

Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Blonde has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    boxings really good cardio. a lot of boxers include a lifting program to build muscle though. its up to you, but i think the general consensus(sp?) is that stronger=punch harder.

south_paw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) south_paw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) south_paw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) south_paw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) south_paw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) south_paw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NO no no.....boxing will help build muscle the same way running will help build leg muscle etc.

If you really want to gain, you gotta supplement your boxing WITH weights..

Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    boxings really good cardio. a lot of boxers include a lifting program to build muscle though. its up to you, but i think the general consensus(sp?) is that stronger=punch harder.
    Punching hard is all about the speed that you throw the punch. The great thing about having muscle and being strong is that you can re-condition your muscle. A guy can be big and strong but have a slow punch and big muscles don't necessarily mean a strong puncher. But with a little bit of training a big, strong, slow guy can develop a big, strong, fast punch.

As the old saying goes, a good big guy is better than a good little guy. Muscles and strength will help you in boxing tremendously.

sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sloshy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeh i reckon boxing training (hitting heavy bag, focus mitts etc) could build a small amount on muscle but if you were serious about making some gains you would have to hit the weights 2-3 times a week.

WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WAYSOUTH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Add in a little liftin so you don't look too puny. Boxers had AWESOME backs!!
    Beauty is only skin deep, but bad is to the bone!

thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thegreatsebabo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    it will help you get reallllly toned, if you are planning to gain more muscle with boxing I would increase your caloric intake though, because you burn A LOT of fat with boxing.
    im fat

jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jobe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I box, and what i have found is that lifting and hard boxing training leaves you looking big, but you can still use your size and strength effectivly if you train hard in your boxing.

Like what was said above, you can take a slow big guy, and train him to be a fast big guy. All it takes is effort.

Metalgod000Joe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smokeater View Post
    Punching hard is all about the speed that you throw the punch. The great thing about having muscle and being strong is that you can re-condition your muscle. A guy can be big and strong but have a slow punch and big muscles don't necessarily mean a strong puncher. But with a little bit of training a big, strong, slow guy can develop a big, strong, fast punch.

As the old saying goes, a good big guy is better than a good little guy. Muscles and strength will help you in boxing tremendously.
    actually speed is only part of it, muscle is important. after you connect is when you put your weight into it, why do you think they have weight brackets? its because a heavyweight who knows how to punch will lay out a lightweight fighter in 1-3 hits, its the thrust from your shoulder and extending your arm is where the real power comes from. not to mention you never going to deal damage to 240lb man of solid muscle with mids ever. muscle is power endurance and defense. a big man can still be fast trust me.

bigbigman22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb

Both speed and muscle needed, simple physics momentum= mass x velocity

johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000) johnnycomehome is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It depends entirely on what you do when you train. At my gym we used to do a lot of conditioning exercises before we even put the gloves on. Hundreds of different types of push-ups, sit ups, pull ups, arm exercises, resistance bands, squat jumps, box jumps, dragging a broken 150lb heavy bag across the floor and pushing it back again etc etc. This type of conditioning work is essential for boxing and will build functional/athletic muscle, but you won't resemble a bodybuilder without weigh training.

If all you do is go and hit the heavy bags and spar then no you won't build a lot of muscle.

If you look at pro boxers in general they have big lats and tris, and powerful shoulders and look extremely athletic but not muscle-bound. Although they don't lift weights in bodybuilding type splits, most guys do some powerlifting type work - squats/cleans etc, although some world champions still swear they've never touched a weight

KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000) KingSSaid is just really nice. (+1000)
    u will build a certain amount of muscle, the same as doing any physical activity ur body needs to adapt to the new stress ur putting it under, but boxing training ius ver much a muscular endurance event/ speed strength , which dosnt build much muscle.

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by KingSSaid View Post
    u will build a certain amount of muscle, the same as doing any physical activity ur body needs to adapt to the new stress ur putting it under, but boxing training ius ver much a muscular endurance event/ speed strength , which dosnt build much muscle.

Great answer bro..Yes boxing will only build so much muscle, we focus mainly on endurance of the muscles for explosiveness and power, and cardio, aside from training with coaches..If your looking to build muscle you need a weight lifting routine, and if you plan to box then you need a good trainer and no weights just resistance bands and your body along with the right equipment such as bags, gloves etc...,.In our sport the use of weights is commonly frowned upon, weight lifting and boxing don't go together the biggest reason is I find it limits flexibility in the ring when your a bulky guy, also a bigger guy with more muscle mass has a lot less cardio than someone who doesn't lift but does hi reps, and you are to square on your footwork which causes you to be a prime target for body-shots when fighting inside..want muscle lift weights, want a very lean and endured body, agility, explosiveness, raw strength, and punching power, speed, then get a trainer and box.

Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tex236 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Wow you've obviously never been trained in boxing, or any other kind of contact sport that involves punching if you really believe that..Yea sure you can be a faster fighter but befor training, you either got it or you don't simple as that..
    Last edited by Tex236; 09-05-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Originally Posted by Metalgod000Joe View Post
    actually speed is only part of it, muscle is important. after you connect is when you put your weight into it, why do you think they have weight brackets? its because a heavyweight who knows how to punch will lay out a lightweight fighter in 1-3 hits, its the thrust from your shoulder and extending your arm is where the real power comes from. not to mention you never going to deal damage to 240lb man of solid muscle with mids ever. muscle is power endurance and defense. a big man can still be fast trust me.
    Your an idiot, In all seriousness it has to do with proper mechanics and form. Strength also has little to do with punching power. There is a big difference, between punching heavy, and punching sharp. The ral power come from your legs, and then the equal weight distribution up through the hips..Your a full blown clueless person about boxing..And after you connect is not when you put your weight into it, its all one motions idiot..people who think they know boxing kill me sometimes..Sigh

gymcompany has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know actually whether boxing helps in making your muscles but one thing is sure that it's a good exercise...

Originally Posted by Tex236 View Post
    Your an idiot, In all seriousness it has to do with proper mechanics and form. Strength also has little to do with punching power. There is a big difference, between punching heavy, and punching sharp. The ral power come from your legs, and then the equal weight distribution up through the hips..Your a full blown clueless person about boxing..And after you connect is not when you put your weight into it, its all one motions idiot..people who think they know boxing kill me sometimes..Sigh
    lol keep dreaming kid why do you thing tyson was on top for as many years because he would punch through his target. pray you never meet a power hitter he will knock your head off.

i also forgot to mention i do not hold boxing in very high regards as fars as to call it a real fighting style. a street fighter will always win boxing creates far to many bad habits. a real fighter uses his whole body and has no rules he knows how to handle many men at once. so think twice b4 you speak boy ive shed more blood and been jumped many times coming out on top quite a few times. when you take bat to the ribs or a brick to the head you come see me cuz i have np kick your knees in ripping your eyes out or using your throat as a speed bag.

lol keep dreaming kid why do you thing tyson was on top for as many years because he would punch through his target. pray you never meet a power hitter he will knock your head off.
    Um tyson was on top because he had a great trainer Mr. Rooney, without him tyson wouldve never learned how to throw a proper power punch, tyson was on top because he had great footwork, and was a great inside fighter, he also had great head movement, Nd ive boxed since I was 13 Ive beeen in the ring with plenty of heavy hitters, cant say the same for u

i also forgot to mention i do not hold boxing in very high regards as fars as to call it a real fighting style. a street fighter will always win boxing creates far to many bad habits. a real fighter uses his whole body and has no rules he knows how to handle many men at once. so think twice b4 you speak boy ive shed more blood and been jumped many times coming out on top quite a few times. when you take bat to the ribs or a brick to the head you come see me cuz i have np kick your knees in ripping your eyes out or using your throat as a speed bag.
    Boxing is one of the oldest fighting styles in history, its had plenty of time to work out the flaws that created bad habits, this is y u get a trainer, a boxer does use his whole body but to gener=ate his hands we dont need feet nd knees etc..No rules means unfair which is for pusses, ur six two 295, thats the size of my sparring partner "boy", and quit listening to metal it makes u think ur rambo when your jus a whiteboi with a attitude

bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    quite sufficient

bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bodysven has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    remaining fast

Boxing is one of the oldest fighting styles in history, its had plenty of time to work out the flaws that created bad habits, this is y u get a trainer, a boxer does use his whole body but to gener=ate his hands we dont need feet nd knees etc..No rules means unfair which is for pusses, ur six two 295, thats the size of my sparring partner "boy", and quit listening to metal it makes u think ur rambo when your jus a whiteboi with a attitude
    white boy with attitude.... i grew up eating guys like you bro. i used to pick fights with boxing clubs and football jocks just to prove em **** can't say i always won but 90% of them either just couldn't fight or relied far to much on strength then skill. nothing ends a fight faster then a full body headbutt to your nose or a step kick to your hips. fighting is about winning it is not a sport anyone who thinks so is a chump who will get eaten alive in the real world im 275lbs now i was 230lb solid b4 i got married then i got lazy ended up 400lbs now im in training again i lost it all in 8 months by summer i should hit my peak once again. Tell a mma fighter [even though i respect them more then boxers there still too limited] or a traditional Muay Thai cage fighter "aka real fighting", hes a pussy when he makes you cry. the thing about a real fighter is we are bread to kill. we know what real injury is we know to become an animal to be a steel wall that knows no pain. you would soon break your hand on me then knock me out that is if you lasted long enough. also your a moron tyson was a charger is only flaw is he could not fight backing up, he too was a bread street fighter long b4 boxing that's why he was a beast.

Registered User bluephoenixkyle's Avatar
    bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluephoenixkyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Boxing builds a lot of endurance and can build some lean muscle in the legs. A lot of boxers do a lot of cardio like training routines that do not help to build size in your muscles but you can still gain a lot of strength

white boy with attitude.... i grew up eating guys like you bro. i used to pick fights with boxing clubs and football jocks just to prove em **** can't say i always won but 90% of them either just couldn't fight or relied far to much on strength then skill. nothing ends a fight faster then a full body headbutt to your nose or a step kick to your hips. fighting is about winning it is not a sport anyone who thinks so is a chump who will get eaten alive in the real world im 275lbs now i was 230lb solid b4 i got married then i got lazy ended up 400lbs now im in training again i lost it all in 8 months by summer i should hit my peak once again. Tell a mma fighter [even though i respect them more then boxers there still too limited] or a traditional Muay Thai cage fighter "aka real fighting", hes a pussy when he makes you cry. the thing about a real fighter is we are bread to kill. we know what real injury is we know to become an animal to be a steel wall that knows no pain. you would soon break your hand on me then knock me out that is if you lasted long enough. also your a moron tyson was a charger is only flaw is he could not fight backing up, he too was a bread street fighter long b4 boxing that's why he was a beast.
    Lmfao alright dude?? BTW Tyson was one of the most open ranged fighters in history according to Ali,, and his fights against Spinks shows he can fight while backing up..Way to brag about your "fighting career", now see ur way to the MMA thread