Symphonia Ex Machina esotericks's Avatar
    esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exercise tips for a bad knee

My girlfriend had a major knee surgery about 3 years ago, where she had torn ligaments and cartilidge removed from her left knee, and she says she has no cartlidge in that knee anymore (could that really be true?). She has led a rather sedentary lifestyle for the past couple of years, and recently I have been bringing her to the gym. She is on a very clean cutting diet as well. She likes to push herself very hard, and even though I am all for her busting ass in the gym, I don't want her to **** herself up with that knee.

I am just curious if I should have her lifting close to failure at this point? We are doing DFHT (I have modified it to take into account the fact that she is a newbie), and she is doing each lift 2 reps away from failure and decreasing reps by 2 each week (12, 10, 8, 6, deloading). Also, she is doing 3 days a week of moderate intensity cardio (heart rate at about 150 bpm) for 45 minutes on either the treadmill or elliptical.

Do you think this is too much, and are there any specific exercises or things I should be watching out for while she is beggining - especially since she has that ****ed up knee?
    Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
    ~Maya Angelou

Men have been taught that the ego is the synonym of evil, and selflessness the ideal of virtue. But the creator is the egoist in the absolute sense, and the selfless man is the one who does not think, feel, judge or act. These are function of the self.
    ~Ayn Rand

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    tell her to see a physiotherapist. nobody on here knows her condition in detail and it'd be foolhardy to take any advice from here.
    <->

Symphonia Ex Machina esotericks's Avatar
    esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) esotericks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    tell her to see a physiotherapist. nobody on here knows her condition in detail and it'd be foolhardy to take any advice from here.
    I have told her this, but she does not have insurance and that is pricey. Even though know one here knows her condition, I don't see the problem in taking advice on stretching, or various exercises that could be be beneficial to her problem. I wouldn't tell her to do something that I think may hurt her, and I am spending a good amount of time researching her position. I do, however, think taking some kind of preventative action would be better than taking none.
    Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.
    ~Maya Angelou

Men have been taught that the ego is the synonym of evil, and selflessness the ideal of virtue. But the creator is the egoist in the absolute sense, and the selfless man is the one who does not think, feel, judge or act. These are function of the self.
    ~Ayn Rand