Thread: BB vs DB??

barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barrett30 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

BB vs DB??

So my question is, what differences would I see if I switch to DB vs BB. I've for some reason always had good success with BB, so I never gave any thoughts to switching my routine to include DB's. I thought I'd check with someone more experience then myself to see what I should/could expect if I were to give it a try. Any advice is helpful.

Also as a side not. I obviously know that DB require you to balance weight a lot more, therefore recruiting surrounding muscles to help out more. I'm thinking more outside that realm as to what else I could possibly see as positives and negatives.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dont look at it as 'either/or'...also dont look at it as some major life choice. Just start including dbs along with bbs. No big deal...both have pros and cons.

I personally would never do a routine with all bb OR all db. When I use all dbs, say for chest/delts...I ALWAYS lose mad strength. Yet db are great for certain exercises.

a workable approach...lets say for chest.

for 6-8 weeks do this:

flat bb
    incline db

then switch to this for 6-8 weeks:

incline bb
    flat db

same for arms or back or delts.

for delts I always use both. Its almost always a bb pressing exercise followed by a db side lateral variation.
    "Humility comes before honor"

nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    True...I never think about it that way...I think barbell are just as useful as dumbells...Barbell usually limit your range of motion but you can lift more...(good for mass). However if you want the full of motion (think dumbell press), dumbells are a must.
    WHat I do is alternate each workout between dumbells and barbell. For example, on chest day, In addition to the usual exercises (flies, pullovers and dips) I alternate dB and BB presses (inc, dec, and flat)

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up Agree

Constantly change not only DB and BB but add new exercises and rotate exercises. This way you reach the max number of muscle fibers to stimulate and your muscles don't get bored or plateau. Good luck.