BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Red face Box Squats Comparison To Real Squats

Well, let me start off by saying that about 2 months ago I severely injured the posterior muscle in my hip next to the hamstring. I am now coming out of the injury and have been doing box squats. As in squatting down (BOX IS A BIT BELOW PARALLEL) and sitting for 1 second and then coming back up. This squat seems not to impair me and until I heal completely I wanna keep doing them. My max parallel squat pre-injury was 315x5, but last squat workout I did 185 3x8 (IT FELT REALLY EASY). Just extra info if u guys wanted to know.

What's its effectiveness compared to real squats?
    Are they generally harder or easier than normal parallel squats?
    Any other thoughts and comments are accepted.

Thanks.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    your parallel box squat will be more than below paralllel squat but your paralllel squat should be just as high or higher than your parallel box squat.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There will be a significant weight drop in the load you can use on a box squat. They are very effective for driving your freeweight squat numbers up... All of the Westside guys use them for a reason.

That said, if your main goal is total leg development, they aren't the best option in my opinion. They are very PC dominant, and like I said the load you can use on them is lower than regular squats.

Great little article from Louie Simmons: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/box-squat.htm
    "Until later, may the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush." - David Puddy (banned but not forgotten)

BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BiggerWeighter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    your parallel box squat will be more than below paralllel squat but your paralllel squat should be just as high or higher than your parallel box squat.
    yep. i used to front squat ATG so I know its tough. so if the box is placed a bit below parallel, and then i switch to regular parallel squats, it will be the same?

one last question

This is how low the box is, and basically how long I sit in the box for.

Wouldnt it be easier for ur muscles since u are resting for that 1 second instead of holding the weight. IDK, u guys prolly know much more.

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BigWeighter View Post
    one last question

This is how low the box is, and basically how long I sit in the box for.

Wouldnt it be easier for ur muscles since u are resting for that 1 second instead of holding the weight. IDK, u guys prolly know much more.
    It isn't easier because there is no stretch reflex involved. In the hole of a freeweight squat, there is some "bounce" that allows you to use heavier loads. When you are on sitting on the box, release the tension from the hip flexors.
    "Until later, may the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush." - David Puddy (banned but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by JBElite View Post
    It isn't easier because there is no stretch reflex involved. In the hole of a freeweight squat, there is some "bounce" that allows you to use heavier loads. When you are on sitting on the box, release the tension from the hip flexors.
    repped. thanks for ur help bro. i really appreciate it. coming back from an injury is hard.

repped. thanks for ur help bro. i really appreciate it. coming back from an injury is hard.
    NP, having a major injury like that must suck. It sounds like you are getting back into it cautiously which is smart. Box squats are probably a good movement to use coming back from an injury because it forces you to use good form...sitting back, etc.

Again, this is a more strength oriented article from Dave Tate, but it is very in depth. http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....=body_120squat

TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000) TheGunShowMane is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JBElite View Post
    This is very true, and embarassing for me. lol
    Normally I squat on 130 kilo or 135 or 140 going heavy.
    I started with 80 kilos on some box squats, did a set. Thought, yeh, this is easy.
    Put two 15 plates on to 110. It was a fairly low box i was on, below parallel. I went down for the first rep. Sat down and couldn't get up. Mind you, this was at then end of a heavy leg workout after normal squats and LP but still, was embarassing, had to get a guy 2 help me because I had no support bars.
    beepbeepimaJew

1k+

Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ironized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, let me start off by saying that about 2 months ago I severely injured the posterior muscle in my hip next to the hamstring. I am now coming out of the injury and have been doing box squats. As in squatting down (BOX IS A BIT BELOW PARALLEL) and sitting for 1 second and then coming back up. This squat seems not to impair me and until I heal completely I wanna keep doing them. My max parallel squat pre-injury was 315x5, but last squat workout I did 185 3x8 (IT FELT REALLY EASY). Just extra info if u guys wanted to know.

What's its effectiveness compared to real squats?
    Are they generally harder or easier than normal parallel squats?
    Any other thoughts and comments are accepted.

Thanks.
    The sitting for 1 sec is a bad idea. Relaxing the lower back with weight on your shoulders is setting your self up for onother bad injury,a blown lower back.

You want to keep tight and touch and go...
    Last edited by Ironized; 11-10-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Originally Posted by Ironized View Post
    The sitting for 1 sec is a bad idea. Relaxing the lower back with weight on your shoulders is setting your self up for onother bad injury,a blown lower back.

You want to keep tight and touch and go...
    This is incorrect. You do not relax the lower back in any way. You keep it tight and the arch maintained just as you would during a regular squat.

Touch and go can be fine to check depth, but other than that it is useless.