cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cjgeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat:How to tell if you're going low enough?

OK, so I'm trying to do parallel level squats but I don't know if I'm going low enough. I saw a guy put a bench under himself to just touch it when going down and I tried doing this and I sat down by accident. I know I could probably avoid this by keeping the bench out more but some days available benchs are hard to find. Is there any trick for knowing if you're going low enough? I have a mirror in front of me when I'm squatting but the front view doesn't help much.

Thanks .
    My BodyBlog
    http://blog.bodybuilding.com/cjgeth

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cjgeth View Post
    OK, so I'm trying to do parallel level squats but I don't know if I'm going low enough. I saw a guy put a bench under himself to just touch it when going down and I tried doing this and I sat down by accident. I know I could probably avoid this by keeping the bench out more but some days available benchs are hard to find. Is there any trick for knowing if you're going low enough? I have a mirror in front of me when I'm squatting but the front view doesn't help much.

Thanks .
    With parallel squats, it's essential you don't lazy-out in the decline.

You should be able to feel what parallel is.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gmoney23 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would say have a friend tell you how low your getting. If you can bring a camera in your gym maybe have a buddy record you. I use my cell phone camera.

Looking in the Mirror though can really throw you off I wouldnt recommend that.

uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Squat 'til you can't go any lower...when your ass hits your calves (if mobility allows).

There's a better way to do the 'sit down' squat. It's called a box squat and it works your posterior chain a bit better than a regular squat. You get a box that is a height 1" below parallel and squat to it. A regular adjustable bench would be too high...even for me and i'm 6'3".
    Who the hell drank my water!??!!

call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50) call_me_pops will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks .
    You could have a partner tell you how deep you are going or if really keen film yourself. Alternatively, get to learn by feel....use the bar only and watch yourself using a corner mirror.

Go as far down as your physical restrictions/flexibility permits, stopping shy of your trunk beginning to round or flex forward, or shy of yourr heels rising off the floor.
    Last edited by call_me_pops; 11-10-2007 at 10:08 PM.

nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000) nickboy333 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    full squats with barbell going down on a straight line until its not possible anymore. But half squats can really put additional mass on your thigh though

uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uberjaeger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It needs to be pounded into people's heads that going 'parallel' creates a powerful shearing force on your knees...as opposed to going lower than parallel where your hips start taking the load more. Stopping at 'parallel' is the most unnatural position to stop at. I'll post documentation when I wake up.

Going lower than parallel is better for your knees, teaches you proper squat mechanics (heels coming up off the floor???? YIKES, you might want to relearn your squat), and develops your legs more fully.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    a video camera helps
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Exclamation ass to calves!

screw parallel! why would you do an exercise half way?
    if you bench pres do you stop the descent half way down ? no way!
    go as far down as possible; i like to do a SLIGHT bounce off my calves at the bottom: just like touching your chest with the bar on bench press!

here is a great link:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...77&postcount=5
    "As sure as the world stands, you jf1 shall spend an eternity in Hell in eternal torment..."
    jake24

tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10) tarun_s is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    use a bench to guide you. most gyms have those steps that they use for aerobics class. touch and go, that way you wont cheat at all.
    "Lift big weight, eat much food" - W8

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do box squats. They are very helpful in teaching a person how deep to squat. Also it will make it easier for you to keep your feet flat on the floor. I squat slightly below parallel, but not ATG.

Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000) Basil08 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i read that theres no need to break parallel point (90 degrees), as stimulation of muscle fibers (even in the tear drop of the quads) increases by an insignificant amount.
    My Body has No Limits

tramp100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree, i used to squat all the way down but hurt my legs real bad. Now i just go as far as i can without pushing the limites too far

----------
    www.kingtrampolines.com

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Basil08 View Post
    i read that theres no need to break parallel point (90 degrees), as stimulation of muscle fibers (even in the tear drop of the quads) increases by an insignificant amount.
    Yup. There's a lot of glutes activation at the bottom there.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earwig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just use a mirror to gauge how far down you're going. Each person is built differently (different tolerances on the knees) and thus you need to experiment with your own limits. Pain or popping in the knees means you've gone to far! Like anything, it comes with practice.

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation

If your ass hasn't smashed through the ceiling of the people that live below you, then you're not going deep enough.
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by knowles.ja View Post
    If your ass hasn't smashed through the ceiling of the people that live below you, then you're not going deep enough.
    Well said!

You've got to stretch your hams enough if they are tight. Otherwise they will pull your tail in and force your low back to round when you go low(..............always assuming Ewoks have anatomy similar to typical earthlings!).
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Go Past Parallel

As promised, courtesy of Alwyn Cosgrove:

The Parallel Universe

Myths:

"When squatting, don't go below parallel."

Real-World Response

Have you ever watched kids learn to stand? They begin in a full squat. In fact, the fetal position is a full squat. That's how your knee actually developed ? in the full squat position.

Read more:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1767210&cr=

I'd say the only reason people don't squat past parallel isn't because they "can't". It's because you can't load up the weight and do quarter squats and look badass. And squatting to the floor with 225 is not as sexy as quarter repping 405.

Tribals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tribals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tribals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tribals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tribals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tribals has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Back in high school we used to put a wooden box behind us and do "box squats". We did these in the beginning to improve our form and to give us an idea of how far down we want to go

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by uberjaeger View Post
    As promised, courtesy of Alwyn Cosgrove:

The Parallel Universe

Myths:

"When squatting, don't go below parallel."

Real-World Response

Have you ever watched kids learn to stand? They begin in a full squat. In fact, the fetal position is a full squat. That's how your knee actually developed ? in the full squat position.

Read more:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1767210&cr=

I'd say the only reason people don't squat past parallel isn't because they "can't". It's because you can't load up the weight and do quarter squats and look badass. And squatting to the floor with 225 is not as sexy as quarter repping 405.

Since when is going to parallel doing a quarter rep?

Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
    Since when is going to parallel doing a quarter rep?
    Wow, I'm sure you read all of Alwyn Cosgrove's complex article on going past parallel and the only thing that piqued your interest was my last sentence. Good to go.

Two totally separate issues. Issue 1) going past parallel is better and healthier for musculature and knees. Issue 2) My opinion on why people don't go past parallel. Parallel is better than quarter repping and all the way down is better than all.

If I had a dollar for people I've seen squat to AT LEAST parallel or beyond in the last month at the gym...I'd have a dollar.

Parallel squatting isn't quarter repping, it's just not good for your knees.

TrackAttack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To know if your going down parallel, or slightly above, you should feel the side of your hips tighten or some the top side of your hips (hip flexors) should be tight. Or you should feel your hamstrings stretch. It all depends on your knees if you should go below parallel or just do parallel squats. Quarter squats do build mass to an extent, but what you do is up to you.
    - TrackAttack

220 Bench
    220 Power Clean
    415 Squat

:::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50) :::JMANN::: will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by knowles.ja View Post
    so true. i used to do parallel squats. now i do atg squats. though i am using about 100lbs less than before for reps, i am noticing more developement in my legs now than in the past.
    Jason Gold, B.S., C.P.T.
    Exercise/Fitness Specialist

24kt Fitness Studio
    Private Personal Training
    www.24ktfitness.com

Advocare Nutrition Distributor
    www.advocare.com/13127876

"I don't have an ego, I just love how awesome I am!" -$.99

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks .
    Alot depends on your structure, stance, goals of the excercise, etc

For me I use squats mostly for quad targeting. I use a very narrow stance. By doing so I do not hit the gluts, lower back, or hams as much as most but I hit the quads more. With the narrower stance you also wont eb able to go down quite as much. Basically you want to go down to the point where tension stays on the quads, if you go down to far it will shift alot to the lower back. I used to be one of the full rom ass to grass humpers l;ike alot of folks on here but I found all it did was target my lower back and ass a hell of a lot and thats not my goal.

In bbing you want the excercise to target your goals, its not powerlifting where you have to do it an exact range.

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Box squats.
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order