Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Bananas, How Many per Day May Be Consumed Without Acquiring Fat?

Trying to hold to an austere diet, I've discovered that one can have a tasty, frozen dessert merely by cutting up a banana, putting the bite-sized pieces in a plastic container, laying the container in the refrigerator freezer. After a half-day, eating the frozen banana with a fork is better than banana ice cream. In its frozen state, the banana seems to have its sweetness enhanced, the frozen pieces melt in the mouth, lubricating the teeth, and leaves a pleasant taste in the mouth. I could eat 3 frozen bananas at each meal, but I'm afraid that I would start acquiring fat. Moreover, I'm told that so many bananas would introduce an excess of potassium into the body. Does anyone know how many bananas at the most one may consume in one day safely?
    George

Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    100g edible portion of banana has: 71kcal, 0.9g protein, 0.3g total fat, 0.1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 16.3g carbohydrate, 2.1g dietary fibre and 20mg sodium.

it would be intresting of you could post how much a skinned ( unfrozen) bannana weighs for refference.

http://app.healthylife.org.sg/expert...?TOPIC_ID=1973

george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) george75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally posted by Nutz
    100g edible portion of banana has: 71kcal, 0.9g protein, 0.3g total fat, 0.1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 16.3g carbohydrate, 2.1g dietary fibre and 20mg sodium.

it would be intresting of you could post how much a skinned ( unfrozen) bannana weighs for refference.

http://app.healthylife.org.sg/expert...?TOPIC_ID=1973
    Thank you, Nutz, for your prompt reply. I will try to weigh a banana when next I'm at the supermarket. With a great deal of training and dieting, I have managed to acquire the beginning of a credible six-pack abdominal development, even at my advanced age, and I don't want to spoil it by over consumption of bananas. Discovering the delicious ,taste of frozen bananas has solved any need for a dessert--I've given up ice cream, cakes, pies, doughnuts, pastries of all kinds, snack foods (the "junk" variety)--in fact, I eat nothing that anyone would call tasty, but I eat plenty, so as to remain fit (since January of this year, I've reduced my weight (U.S. measures) 190 pounds down to 159. My waist size has declined from over 38 inches to 33.5 inches. And, if you check http://profiles.yahoo.com/George33144 and click on "view my photos" and then "slideshow", you can see the abdominal development that I have managed to achieve thus far. I continue to train seven days per week, and not only do not want to lose any development, but I want to add to it. Your information is most helpful and thanks. Best regards, George
    George

Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    excllent work! sounds like a good, tasty alternative to a 'real' dessert, I definalty plan to try it!

JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump, frozen bananas are the absolute best - way better than any ice cream, IMO.

Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have never had frozen bannanas

what do u do just freeze it with the peel on then peel it and eat it frozen? that is good?

JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JimRW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Take the peel off before you freeze it.

Chameleon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    correct me if I'm wrong... but I have been told that banana's are high in natural sugars and if you are trying to get more cut I would not eat more than ONE a day... I usually cut banana's out all together when I'm trying to lose fat... but I do love a good frozen banana now and then ;-)~

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bananas are a bad choice when trying to lose fat... first off they are higher on the glycemic index then most if not all fruits... which is not good... also, the sugar in them (fructose) much more readily converts to adipose (fat) than any other simple sugar... most fruits are deciving because everyone thinks they are extremely healthy because of the vitmains the provide... the fact is that you get many times the amount of vitamins any fruit can provide in a multivitamin pill (which I assume everyone takes especially if you workout). You must be very careful with fruits when dieting... most professional (natural) bodybuilders do not consume fruits even when bulking upbecause they realize this... fructose for the most part is very low GI, but even so, the fact it converts to fat so readily, they do not eat them unless it is a complete craving... most people should cut out fruits completely when trying to lose fat... Doctors will tell you fruits are a staple food... but they are sorely mistaken... they are nothing but sugar... although rich in vitamins... a multivitamin per day easily covers that... and fructose is not a needed sugar. I would say eat as little as possible... If you must, 1 banana per day a few times per week. if fat loss is the goal... lots of protein and little carbs is the key... 16g. of carbs from a small banana wont hurt too much... but if your intake of carbs is supposed to be about 125g. per day if you are wanting to lose wieght... I would watch your consumption and opt for better carbs such as vegetables and oatmeal...
    Last edited by Luke530; 08-30-2002 at 04:08 PM.

Originally posted by Luke530
    bananas are a bad choice when trying to lose fat... first off they are higher on the glycemic index then most if not all fruits... which is not good... also, the sugar in them (fructose) much more readily converts to adipose (fat) than any other simple sugar... most fruits are deciving because everyone thinks they are extremely healthy because of the vitmains the provide... the fact is that you get many times the amount of vitamins any fruit can provide in a multivitamin pill (which I assume everyone takes especially if you workout). You must be very careful with fruits when dieting... most professional (natural) bodybuilders do not consume fruits even when bulking upbecause they realize this... fructose for the most part is very low GI, but even so, the fact it converts to fat so quickly, they do not eat them unless it is a complete craving... most people should cut out fruits completely when trying to lose fat... Doctors will tell you fruits are a staple food... but they are sorely mistaken... they are nothing but sugar... although rich in vitamins... a multivitamin per day easily covers that... and fructose is not a needed sugar. I would say eat as little as possible... If you must, 1 banana per day a few times per week. if fat loss is the goal... lots of protein and little carbs is the key... 16g. of carbs from a small banana wont hurt too much... but if your intake of carbs is supposed to be about 125g. per day if you are wanting to lose wieght... I would watch your consumption and opt for better carbs such as vegetables and oatmeal...
    Thank you, Luke, for much valuable information! Yet, the data are a big disappointment. I thought that I had found refuge from an uninteresting diet by treating myself to unlimited frozen bananas. Now, I learn, I probably shouldn't have any, at most one a day only a few times a week. Long gone are the really pleasant treats--the prohibited, unthinkable ice cream, cakes, pies, candy (I haven't had any candy in 20 years at least), hamburgers, french fries, potato chips, and the many junk foods. So, I suppose that I'll have to reconcile myself (one who lives alone and detests eating out in restaurants) to heating up cans of green peas, mixed vegetables, and make the best of it. In the end, no sacrifice is too great, ultimately, to achieve well defined abdominals. Just yesterday, at the fitness center, there was an attractive young woman there, wearing workout pants and bra, bare midsection, and she had slightly chiseled abdominals. She was stunning! I would have been satisfied with abdominals as good as hers, and hers were just the mildly muscular type--not too muscular for a woman, just enough to show firm, solid flesh, yet still an attractive, feminine beauty. Yes, many a man would like to have abdominals that good. But the diet to follow to achieve that degree of definition--that explains why so few people achieve that degree of perfection.

So, for me, alas, it'll be good-bye bananas, and I won't bother to buy a lot of apples, grapes, or other fruits. Maybe I'll give the oatmeal a try. I find that I enjoy shredded cole slaw spread on a tomato slice, a slice of cheese, all atop a slice of bread. I suppose that that, too, is loaded with fat-producing items.;

Today, at a health food store, a fellow there measured my body-fat for me: almost 18%. He said that that was great. I disputed his evaluation, and said that I was disappointed. I wanted a reading of no more than 8%. So, I have a long way to go, yet.

Thanks again, Luke and all of the others, who so kindly have offered their opinions on this, for me, most interesting subject. George
    George

Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luke530 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by george75

Thank you, Luke, for much valuable information! Yet, the data are a big disappointment. I thought that I had found refuge from an uninteresting diet by treating myself to unlimited frozen bananas. Now, I learn, I probably shouldn't have any, at most one a day only a few times a week. Long gone are the really pleasant treats--the prohibited, unthinkable ice cream, cakes, pies, candy (I haven't had any candy in 20 years at least), hamburgers, french fries, potato chips, and the many junk foods. So, I suppose that I'll have to reconcile myself (one who lives alone and detests eating out in restaurants) to heating up cans of green peas, mixed vegetables, and make the best of it. In the end, no sacrifice is too great, ultimately, to achieve well defined abdominals. Just yesterday, at the fitness center, there was an attractive young woman there, wearing workout pants and bra, bare midsection, and she had slightly chiseled abdominals. She was stunning! I would have been satisfied with abdominals as good as hers, and hers were just the mildly muscular type--not too muscular for a woman, just enough to show firm, solid flesh, yet still an attractive, feminine beauty. Yes, many a man would like to have abdominals that good. But the diet to follow to achieve that degree of definition--that explains why so few people achieve that degree of perfection.

So, for me, alas, it'll be good-bye bananas, and I won't bother to buy a lot of apples, grapes, or other fruits. Maybe I'll give the oatmeal a try. I find that I enjoy shredded cole slaw spread on a tomato slice, a slice of cheese, all atop a slice of bread. I suppose that that, too, is loaded with fat-producing items.;

Today, at a health food store, a fellow there measured my body-fat for me: almost 18%. He said that that was great. I disputed his evaluation, and said that I was disappointed. I wanted a reading of no more than 8%. So, I have a long way to go, yet.

Thanks again, Luke and all of the others, who so kindly have offered their opinions on this, for me, most interesting subject. George
    George... no worries... once you reach your goal... you will be able to eat bananas because you will just be maintaining... just cut them out for now until you reach your goal... you see... a strict diet for a 12 weeks is better than a less strict one for 3 years! So cuz out the breads, pastas, fruits everyday except 1x per week during your carb up which we discussed in a previous post if you remember... so that 1 time per week... you will be able to enjoy good, healthy carbs... and the rest (6 days) keep carbohydrates at a minimum and eat lots of protein... and keep the calories at around 10-12x your bodyweight.

slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50) slashmash will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i just tried frozen bananas they are hella good! its like an icecream bar, woah.

Originally posted by slashmash
    i just tried frozen bananas they are hella good! its like an icecream bar, woah.
    yeah... they sure are healthier then ice cream... so if you are gonna have ice cream... eat the frozen banana... frozen grapes are great also...

jumper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey george, you write like you're a professional writer/author... are u? just wondering

Originally posted by jumper
    hey george, you write like you're a professional writer/author... are u? just wondering
    Hello, Jumper, thanks for the compliment about my writing. No, not a professional writer nor author. I was fortunate to have a good education in english grammar. As a freshman at the University of Illinois in 1944, I was required to take the standard freshman course, called "Rhetoric". The teacher of our class, a graduate student in english literature, imposed the strictest imagineable discipline on the students, announcing that any student submitting a theme with even one sentence-fragment (that is, an incomplete sentence) would be failed for the entire course. That caught our attention! That young woman drilled into us the rules of grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, spelling, everything needed for acceptable prose which benefited me for the rest of my life. Acceptable writing ability is needed in everything, so the labor required in that woman's class was amply rewarded.

Separate topic: while trying to watch my diet to achieve the abdominal six-pack, I've decided to give up all beverages, especially sodas--I used to enjoy caffeine-free diet cokes--and I've happily discovered gatorade, orange flavor. I've developed a great liking for gatorade, and drink large quantities of it. Nothing else, except some coffee in the early morning.

George
    George

Originally posted by george75

Separate topic: while trying to watch my diet to achieve the abdominal six-pack, I've decided to give up all beverages, especially sodas--I used to enjoy caffeine-free diet cokes--and I've happily discovered gatorade, orange flavor. I've developed a great liking for gatorade, and drink large quantities of it. Nothing else, except some coffee in the early morning.

George
    just so you know george, gatorade is sugar... it should not be dunk any other time besides immediately after a workout to replensih glycogen....

if you do not count calories... now is a good time to start...

also count your macronutrient ratios... i.e. carbs, protein, and fat... this is imperative to lose the last reamining bits of bodyfat to finally achieve a sixpack.

Originally posted by Luke530

just so you know george, gatorade is sugar... it should not be dunk any other time besides immediately after a workout to replensih glycogen....

if you do not count calories... now is a good time to start...

also count your macronutrient ratios... i.e. carbs, protein, and fat... this is imperative to lose the last reamining bits of bodyfat to finally achieve a sixpack.
    Thanks, Luke, for your information, though, for me, most disillusioning. Now I'll have to cut down on the gatorade. All that remains for me is water, I guess.

I'm afraid that I couldn't manage analysing my food to monitor the various components--that is, the carbohydrates, protein, etc. I'm doing about all I can, just trying to select those foods that should be low in fat-producing characteristics, but everything seems to have some unwanted deficiencies. Just staying away from the known bad items--cakes, pies, ice cream, candy, fried foods, junk food--and trying to emphasize vegetables, chicken, shredded slaw will have to bring me to my goal, even though taking me a long time to reach it. Each morning I walk on the cardio treadmill for 5 minutes, and the data screen reports that I shed from 35 to 45 calories each time. My weight this morning was 158.75 pounds; in January of this year at times I was over 190.

Also this morning, I, using 210 pounds, seated dip, raised the weight 42 times, a little less in the other two of the three sets of that exercise. The biangular lat pull, using 200 pounds, I managed 16 repetitions, but they were sloppily done, and then only half-way down. But, after these and some other exercises during the 90 minutes that I'm at the fitness center, I'm too tired to do anything more. Nevertheless, by keeping at the training 7 days a week indefinitely, plus following my limited restricted diet, I do believe that I'll achieve the result that I'm seeking, even though perhaps many months down the road. Best regards, George
    George

You are doing great george... everything takes time... if you want to lose weight... and achieve a sixpack soon (8-10 weeks or so...) I suggest cutting out all starchy carbs... bread, rice, pasta, etc... have plenty of gatorade and protein post-workout (whey)... and carbs at breakfast... throughout the day... stick to high protein meals... low carb... just a few vegetables... and make sure the cole slaw has no mayo or high calorie dressings...

Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mortin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    george drink diet soda!

i drink a ton of it and i have a six pack.. 0 calories, 0 carbs.. got to love it. don't beleive that bull **** that people tell you that aspartame ****s you over.. because all the pro bb'ers eat a ton of it.

example... for breakfast i have whole oats (not instant!) with some spenda (artificial sweetener). tastes great, no sugar, not many calories, just straight oats! i eat my oats in water too. that's a great start for the day.

ditch the gatoraid

Mortin is right... pick up some diet rite... it's good for you... stay away from dark diet sodas... they contain phosphoric acid... the rest are perfectly fine...

i drink a ton of dark soda w/phosphoric acid

what is wrong with it

i thought dark soda was due to caramel color??

Originally posted by Mortin
    i drink a ton of dark soda w/phosphoric acid

what is wrong with it

i thought dark soda was due to caramel color??
    phosphoric acid is very bad for you... in many ways... it leeches calcium... binds to fat cells... and can slow gains... not good... especially if you are after fat loss...

you got any studies to back that up?

Originally posted by Mortin
    you got any studies to back that up?
    plenty

just got this from gnc

In one study, men who refrained from drinking soft drinks (especially drinks containing phosphoric acid) reduced their risk of stone recurrences compared with men permitted to consume soft drinks. Phosphoric acid is thought to affect calcium metabolism in ways that might increase kidney stone recurrence risk. Research in this area remains somewhat inconsistent, however. In one large trial, people who consumed more soft drinks were not at increased risk.

http://www.********/health_notes/Food...oft_Drinks.htm

looks like avoiding phosphoric acid is more hoo-ha crap

Other health risks associated with soda consumption - Caramel coloring, that is added for the brown tint is a cancer-causing suspect. Sometimes, polyethylene glycol is added, glycol is used as anti-freeze in automobiles, and as an oil solvent. The bubbles are created by phosphoric acid. The phosphorus in the acid upsets the body's calcium-phosphorus ratio and dissolves calcium out of the bones. The acid in the soft drink eats away the aluminum in which it is packaged. Aluminum is a very toxic substance and builds up in the human body, it has a particular affinity for the brain and has been linked to Alzheimer's disease.

Soda when used for a thirst quencher after physical activity - After a hard physical workout, drinking soft drinks can cause calcium and potassium loss, and that in turn can cause sore muscles and delayed recovery time after exercise.

here is one...

there is problems with any chemical luke.. you should know that

none of what you have told me has actually been accepted in the medical community, and there are studies to refute all of that.

if you are actually recommending not to drink phosphoric acid.. then you should also recommend not to go outside of a bubble.. because there is much worse things out there for you (SUGAR!), and there is no convincing evidence to say that it's damaging

and i still have yet to see you produce a single study

I know... it's nothing proven... but is it proven that it does nothing... obviously there is worse things... but it's still another chemical you put into your body... now there are diet sodas available that do not contain PA. Would it not be better than, to drink those?

I know I cannot argue here... but neither can you... because nothing has been proven either way...