Djeasye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djeasye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djeasye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djeasye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djeasye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djeasye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

cardio before weight training?

ok i think everyone who is trying to loose body fat has asked this question some time in their lives, but is it alright to do 20mins "light" cardio before my weight training session?

I generally do 20mins on a stationary bike to get the blood flowing before my session, i keep my heart rate between 130 and 140.I do cardio in the mornings at 5:30am for 40-60minutes moderate intensity cardio, try and keep heart rate at 150ish,slightly less sometimes,slightly more sometimes, and then my weight training at 2:00pm.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    IMHO you're better off doing some HIIT sessions on off days. You'll burn as much fat and will spare more muscle than doing all that time a day.

JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeyRock is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    According to most of what I've read out there (Muscle and Fitness, Ironman, etc)- I would suggest that if you're going to the gym - doing 20 min of cardio and then weights....to hit the weights first.

The body uses glucose, stored in your system, as energy for any and all activities. Once your body has very little or no more glucose to burn as energy, it will start burning the fat in your body as a source of energy.

So if you do weights first, your body will use its glucose stores for energy to perform your weight-training. Then, since your glucose stores will be expended - you body will have to use your fat stores as energy for your cardio workout.

In simple terms - most articles say lifting weights first then doing cardio, burns more fat per workout than doing cardio first, or doing cardio alone.
    Reps welcomed and returned

"I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty."

pearnomore.com has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JoeyRock View Post
    According to most of what I've read out there (Muscle and Fitness, Ironman, etc)- I would suggest that if you're going to the gym - doing 20 min of cardio and then weights....to hit the weights first.

The body uses glucose, stored in your system, as energy for any and all activities. Once your body has very little or no more glucose to burn as energy, it will start burning the fat in your body as a source of energy.

So if you do weights first, your body will use its glucose stores for energy to perform your weight-training. Then, since your glucose stores will be expended - you body will have to use your fat stores as energy for your cardio workout.

In simple terms - most articles say lifting weights first then doing cardio, burns more fat per workout than doing cardio first, or doing cardio alone.
    Very true this. Ill tell you this also, if it is muscle you want to build, hitting the muscle while it is colder will be more beneficial, make sure the muscle is well stretched to reduce the risk of injury though attacking a muscle group while it is colder will increase in simple terms "the stimulating of the muscle fibers". Remember a higher quality of protein that your body naturally sources via foods for example a whey/soy protein is essential both after cardio and weight training to re-build these stimulated muscle fibers. Thats my two bob
    Pearnomore.com - Test the experts on anything Health & Fitness