Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)

walking for cardio... + Weight a good idea?

OK, so cardio for extended periods of time can increase cortisol levels and therefore be catabolic.

Lower level activity burns fat in greater preference to muscle ( and indeed carbs)

Would walking for a considerable length of time ( 1-2 hours) be a good way of burning a lot of fat. In my current situation I have time to kill and a desire to get cut, so I figure that I could supplement my usually, higher intensity 30-40 minute sessions ( note: higher intensity, but not really full out) with a walk in the afternoon to help burn extra fat, especially as my glycogen stores are depleted form the early morning cardio. (although not totally due to eating breakfast an hour or so after, and also using ALA)

the second part of this question is that would adding a weighted pack to my walking be a good idea. I figure that as long as the weight still enables me to get 1.5 - 2 hours walking done then its not going to cause enough intensity to create serious catabolism, but will up the energy required enough to help.

Any thoughts on this?

Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Walking is the slowest way to see results and burns little cals.
    The best way to lose fat is 20 minute jogs right when you wake up and a second 20 minute run at the end of the day.Take 5 g of glutamine before and after each run.Run full out with no slowing down.

mjfootball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah walking is definatly not the most effective way to go , i am pretty sure for maximum fat burning you have to run so your heart rate is 60% of your maximum heart rate

TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000) TheGuy98 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i believe walking is for people who cant run for long periods of time (obese people) so like those who just mentioned, 20mins of cardio does the trick...
    Live forever....

SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000) SlateDrake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Bro,

I think it's a great way to mix it up a little. You mentioned that you already had the early morning cardio going, so I think an 1-2 hour hike with weight would definetly shave down some fat.

Try to get your heart-rate up into the fat buring zone (do a quick search, for me it's right at 150 beats/min) and let it rip.

I'm killing it right now trying to cut up and all those extra bits add up.

Be good bud,

Slate

Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000) Nutz is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah, I know that 60% of maximal is ment to be optimum for muscle sparing, but the way I see it, if your heart rate is less than 60% you are more likely to burn a higer %age of fat. if theres no carbs to burn (keto, or already mostly used) , and higer intensity burns more muscle then a low intensity must burn pretty much all fat.

Acorrding to http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html a 95kg guy (a little less than me + plate ) uses 140 cals per mile, wich at a fast walking pace like mine is not to be sniffed at! I would imagine the real ammount is higer as the body is not adapted to carrying significantly more than its bodyweight for an extended time.

obviously you may not burn as many calories due to increase metabolism, but I think thats the only advantage of raising the heart rate a little. correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, stuck a 10Kg plate in a backback and took a walk across some nearby fields yesterday, definatly upped the intensity over a normal walk. only trouble is I had a little trouble with shin splints a while ago and I started to feel them play up again!

I'd definatly recomend adding it occasionaly ( in addition to a fast, morning cardio for metabolism boost) to mix it up a little
    Last edited by Nutz; 08-30-2002 at 12:25 AM.

Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000) Colin is just really nice. (+1000)
    I took a run last week with a 10 pound weight plate in each hand.I ended up pulling something in my right shoulder,it hurt like hell anytime I raised my arm, and I couldn't lift for 3 days.
    I think it's best to keep the weights in the weight room and running at balls out intensity.You don't need extra weight strecthing out your ligaments while you're body is pouding the pavement.

Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50) Big Jake will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    People hear walking and say it's for pussies. But jogging is torture on your joints, especially if you're lifting heavy weight. Go with walking on an incline, and make sure your HEAR RATE is up. Your body doesnt know the diff between jogging and walking on an incline, as long as your heart rate is at 65-85% your burning fat. (I tend to stay 70-75%)

-jake
    Stimulate, don't annihilate.