mickgreen58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickgreen58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Did HIIT for the first time in Workout..whew!

I have been an avid jogger for that last 3 years. I am up to running 4 Miles (70% walk/30% Run) and talked to a co-worker who lost 150 Lbs about doing HITT when he runs. He didnt know what it meant until I explained it to him, and he said he has been doing what we call HIIT for sometime. He explained to me that he wanted to make sure his body didnt get comfortable and start to pickup a rythmn.

I tried it today and was able to only go 3 miles. I would run sort of fast until I got tired, then walked until I wasn't too tired, then run sort of fast and at the end of my last quarter mile, went all out as fast as I could.

I noticed that I cramped up and I have never ever had to stop and bend down and hold my knees after a run and I run at a pretty steady pace in the past.

But needless to say, I am sure my body was not expecting this type of workout and I am sure I was able to burn alot of calories.

Unfortunately, I gave into about a year and a half craving of Braum's Cookies and Cream Ice Cream and bought a whole half gallon .

- Mike G.

Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mickgreen58

Unfortunately, I gave into about a year and a half craving of Braum's Cookies and Cream Ice Cream and bought a whole half gallon .

- Mike G.

LMAO

but good job on the HIT run!

SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I tried it today and was able to only go 3 miles. I would run sort of fast until I got tired, then walked until I wasn't too tired, then run sort of fast and at the end of my last quarter mile, went all out as fast as I could.
    That's not HIIT, dude. With HIIT, you don't "run sort of fast". With HIIT, you sprint all out for about 30 seconds and then jog for 30 seconds. Do this for about 15 minutes and I guarantee that you'll be dead (not literally).

jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Thumbs up

That is sort of HIIT light but it is still exercise so you are defiantly on the right track. The next step is to do regular hiit which is sprint as hard as you can for 20-30 sec and than walk 20-30 sec. I have been doing it all summer and I still can’t do it for more than 11-12 min and I am dead. The great thing about this sort of cardio is that it only takes a few min. including taking a shower I am done and over with in ½ hour and ready to get on with my life.

mickgreen58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickgreen58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SaNdMaN
    That's not HIIT, dude. With HIIT, you don't "run sort of fast". With HIIT, you sprint all out for about 30 seconds and then jog for 30 seconds. Do this for about 15 minutes and I guarantee that you'll be dead (not literally).

Right...

Well, I was talking to my co-worker today who lost around 150 Lbs.

He said he:

Jogs for a minute

Faster Jog for another minute

Goes all out for another minute

Then walks for a minute

He runs 6 miles a day around our Company around noon which 6 miles is tought but even tougher in the 100 Degree Dallas, TX Heat.

I have lost about 50 Lbs without doing this method.

- Mike G.

Registered User TheReservoirDog's Avatar
    TheReservoirDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would think that the total amount of distance covered during a HIIT run in only about 2-3 miles max.

eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000) eddied27 is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Sprints...

http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net/m...D=21&pageID=274
    http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net/m...D=25&pageID=309

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hlight=sprints

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par46.htm

I'm not sure about the interval times that you are all talking about. I've done some fairly good reading up on HIIT in these forums and especially articles written by Loki and reading Derek's threads. I don't even think he does more than 10 - 100m sprints per session (and he's a competitive bodybuilder) and that takes him around 20 minutes to do; which would mean your rest intervals are around 60-90 seconds before each all out sprint.

The intent of HIIT, as I've come to understand it is not so much the amount of sprints you can do in one session but the quality of the sprinting.

I can't imagine that someone can recover enough in 30 seconds from just doing a 30 second "all-out" sprint and have the next sprint interval be of the same quality as the previous sprint. If you can, you must have some pretty good heart rate recovery.

If you haven't seen the above links, give them a read. If I'm totally off base on this then I'll accept the criticism. I used to do 30 seconds then 1 minute until I realized what HIIT really is. I now do 15-20 second sprints with about 60-75 second rest and I feel like what everyone says I'm supposed to feel like. I do 10 at most.
    Thy will, not mine, be done.....

"Absolutely no reason to stop any routine you are making good progress on. The only magic bullet is progression over the LONG-TERM"
    Iron Addict (RIP)

"Hey! You can rest when you're dead!" ironwill2008

youngm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do HIIT on the Elliptical/Cross Trainer!

Basically, what I do is:

- 5 minute warmup at moderate intensity.
    - Then I do 20s at max intensity (approx 100rpm)
    - Then I slow down to moderate intensity for 40s (approx 60rpm)
    - 20s max intensity etc etc...

I can only do this for approx 10 minutes and I'm wrecked and drenched!

If the elliptical isn't available, you can do it on the treadmill.

Run at a moderate pace for 1 min, followed by intense pace for 1 min, moderate 1 min, intense 1 min... keep cycling this through.

HIIT really gets the heart rate revved up and also gets the sweat flowing

The beauty about HIIT, is that you continue to burn calories at a fast rate AFTER your HIIT session, as opposed to only burning calories during a long duration, steady rate cardio session.

Yeah. I continued to do some of the things that I spoke about Sunday. It is DEFINITELY harder than running 4 miles at a steady pace.

Everybody has their own way of doing this. I really wasnt trying to stir the pot but just wanted to inform the informed that I was starting to do some of the things this forum has talked about.

I use to weight 250 Lbs, got down to 192 Lbs and then went into hybernation AKA Madden 2005 and got back up to around 205 LBs. Right now I am at 196 LBs give or take a few Lbs. So I feel like I know what it takes to lose weight. I am open to HIIT because as I get close to the weight I am suppose to be based on my bone structure and height, which I beleive is 185 LBs, it is just freakin difficult to hit that target weight. Of course 1-2 visits to Whataburger every other week and this weekend finally giving in to Braum's Ice Cream after a year in the half isnt helping either.

- Mike G.

Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Adonisanemone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Right...

Well, I was talking to my co-worker today who lost around 150 Lbs.

He said he:

Jogs for a minute

Faster Jog for another minute

Goes all out for another minute

Then walks for a minute

He runs 6 miles a day around our Company around noon which 6 miles is tought but even tougher in the 100 Degree Dallas, TX Heat.

I have lost about 50 Lbs without doing this method.

- Mike G.
    Your coworker is a beast! I run an ok 6.20 mile, and 10 flat 1.5 mile. My HIT training of 2.2 miles kills me, and I sprint all out for about 15 seconds, and walk for 60 seconds. I would like to think I am in better than average shape, but 6 miles of that would kill me. I dont think I can even run all out for a minute, just to do it again in 3 minutes. I would be right around finishing a 440(in 8 more seconds) at that minute point, and easily need 4 of just walking it off till I can even come close to hitting that again. So either hes yanking your chain, or, well, Im way out of shape.

I have read in several places that a researcher compared the various intervals of HIT and found a 6 hard - 9 easy to be the most effective. I dont know if it was all out for those 6 or not, but the days I have the dedication/discipline to do that I probably end up running 7mph and 11mph, no where near max, but enough to wear me the (expository) out. But most of the time I do a 15 all out sprint, 60 all out walk I think BB.com has an article that specifically sites the findings of the study I was talking about.

Originally Posted by Adonisanemone
    Your coworker is a beast! I run an ok 6.20 mile, and 10 flat 1.5 mile. My HIT training of 2.2 miles kills me, and I sprint all out for about 15 seconds, and walk for 60 seconds. I would like to think I am in better than average shape, but 6 miles of that would kill me. I dont think I can even run all out for a minute, just to do it again in 3 minutes. I would be right around finishing a 440(in 8 more seconds) at that minute point, and easily need 4 of just walking it off till I can even come close to hitting that again. So either hes yanking your chain, or, well, Im way out of shape.

I have read in several places that a researcher compared the various intervals of HIT and found a 6 hard - 9 easy to be the most effective. I dont know if it was all out for those 6 or not, but the days I have the dedication/discipline to do that I probably end up running 7mph and 11mph, no where near max, but enough to wear me the (expository) out. But most of the time I do a 15 all out sprint, 60 all out walk I think BB.com has an article that specifically sites the findings of the study I was talking about.
    Well, first of all, my Co-Worker had never even heard of HIIT. I told him a little about it and he was like, yeah I kind of run like that.

He and another Co-Worker take off for at least and 2 hours (these are people that are sort of high up in the company) and go run.

He has lost 150 Lbs and had a very serious accident roofing accident 4 years ago and almost died. The one thing he told me the doctor's told him after numerous surgeries was GET IN SHAPE. That coupled with being diagnosed with (and beating it) Cancer will do that sort of thing. He is about 6-4 and around 200 Lbs.

Keep in mind this was a casual conversation I had with him, so I am sure he wasn't being EXACT. But I know for a fact his running regiment is EXTREME and he even wants me to get out there with them.

But me and 100 degree Texas weather dont agree. That is why I run at 7 PM everyday. So anyone can question him all you want, he is healthy, in shape, beat cancer and to me and I am sure him, that is all that matters.

- Mike G.

A question for everyone here that does HIIT technique with running.

How many Miles do you say you are able to do?

Do ever walk when you are doing this?

Are you exhausted when you finally finish?

Also, do you think you are burning more calories doing HIIT than the guy that runs 4-5 Miles at that same jogging pace?

Last but not least, what kind of surface are you running on. Unfortunately, I run on concrete .

- Mike G.

jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jwal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This may be a little off topic, but, does your co-worker take a shower after his 100-degree heat run? Maybe I'm confused. If this is an office type job, I don't see how you could have some major body odor all afternoon.
    6'2", 187 lbs @ 10%~BF

jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jon4127 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Thumbs up

A question for everyone here that does HIIT technique with running.

How many Miles do you say you are able to do? ABOUT 1.5 MILES.

Do ever walk when you are doing this? YES AFTER EVERY 30 SEC SPRINT

Are you exhausted when you finally finish? MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE

Also, do you think you are burning more calories doing HIIT than the guy that runs 4-5 Miles at that same jogging pace? YES BECAUSE YOU KEEP BURNING AFTER YOU ARE DONE RUNNING.

Last but not least, what kind of surface are you running on. Unfortunately, I run on concrete . I LIVE ON A DIRT ROAD

- Mike G.
    ANSWERS IN CAPS

JON

Registered User TheReservoirDog's Avatar
    TheReservoirDog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've been doing HIIT on the jump rope. I'm not sure if I'm doing it at an adequate level. I do 10 sets of fast jumping for one minute, and I usually get around 150 jumps. I rest for one minute after every jump.

Is this good?

oh, and I do this for four consecutive days a week.

Originally Posted by jon4127
    ANSWERS IN CAPS

JON
    LOL

Originally Posted by jwal
    This may be a little off topic, but, does your co-worker take a shower after his 100-degree heat run? Maybe I'm confused. If this is an office type job, I don't see how you could have some major body odor all afternoon.
    Yes. We have a weight room where you can go workout at and it has showers you can use. Beleive me, that was the first question I asked when I was asked to join in.

I have to admit, I was struggling with how I was going to make running 4 miles a day a little more interesting as most of the time I will normally quit around this time. But doing this stuff brings about more challenges and makes things a little bit more interesting.

- Mike G.

SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is probably the best article on HIIT: http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp. It's fairly short and explains everything very well, so check it out.

How many Miles do you say you are able to do?
    I found a place which goes slightly uphill for .10 miles, so I sprint uphill and jog downhill. I can only do about 7 cycles right now, so that's 1.4 miles.

Do ever walk when you are doing this?
    Nope.

Are you exhausted when you finally finish?
    I stop only when I'm completely exhausted, so YES.

Also, do you think you are burning more calories doing HIIT than the guy that runs 4-5 Miles at that same jogging pace?
    Not sure. With HIIT you supposedly increase your metabolism more than jogging and lose less muscle since it takes less time.

Last but not least, what kind of surface are you running on. Unfortunately, I run on concrete .
    Concrete.

Sand thanks for the response.

I do 3 miles, but unlike you I walk then run. I have a ways to go, as right now, I cannot go all out as fast as I can and then bring myself to a jog as I am flat out tired after the speed burst. If I keep doing it, I am sure I will be able too one of these days.

Running on concrete is probably the reason my my left knee has started aching about 1 mile into my run. I am probably going to join my rec. center weight room and lift weights to give it a little break. But I have been saying that for about 2 years now .

But like I said. I was struggling to get myself out there and run those 4 miles everyday because it got real boring. Once I started reading about this technique, it gives me something shoot for. It is just in time too. As I have already stated, normally around this time I shut it down and start playing Madden, which comes out next week .

- Mike G.

selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10) selldogg is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face

Anybody try HIIT on a treadmill? I run 11mph for one minute jump off do 15 pushups and get back on the treadmill etc.....it feels like it's working

Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I did HIIT about 1 1/2 years ago 3-4 times a week and in about a month I had lost 20 pounds. HIIT is amazing and I have been telling it to everyone.

But I do have a question, would it be bad to do HIIT 3-4 times a week twice a day? Or Jog 2 miles before breakfast and then HIIT at night?
    AcetylCoA gets reps

"God your dunce." - Swept

LSU Tigers/Washington Nationals