johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100) johnmolinda is not very well liked. (-100)

What is Best for shaping chest muscles???

Can anyone tell me what the best free weight exercise is for shaping chest/pectorial muscles? I am not overweight but my pectorials are a tiny bit flabby...just due to no exercise. I'd like to build them and add some definition. I read that the barbell bench press is not as good as an incline dumbell bench press. Any help would be appreciated.

porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) porcupinetree is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    barbell and dumbell incline and flat bench presses. Flyes.

I prefer barbells, but sometimes I do dumbells.

If you haven't been training your chest, then start doing it and your chest will improve. Use good form, push yourself, eat right.

yellow fever legit check Bombers's Avatar
    Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bombers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DB incline
    DB decline
    DB flat
    DB flyes
    BB incline
    BB delcine
    BB flat
    dips leaning foward
    cable flyes
    B|m|B
    CREW

{{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

*always pick 6 crew*

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by johnmolinda
    Can anyone tell me what the best free weight exercise is for shaping chest/pectorial muscles? I am not overweight but my pectorials are a tiny bit flabby...just due to no exercise. I'd like to build them and add some definition. I read that the barbell bench press is not as good as an incline dumbell bench press. Any help would be appreciated.
    If you mean tonning the chest, it's all about fat (which you can't spot reduce, by the way). So go do some cardio and you'll get a tight chest.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by johnmolinda
    Try doing some cable exercises in addition to the regular DB/BB presses and flyes. Cables exercises seem to have an intangible quality for "shaping" and "hardening" the pecs. That has been my experience. I could speculate on the science, but I'll leave at that has been my experience.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    If you mean tonning the chest, it's all about fat (which you can't spot reduce, by the way). So go do some cardio and you'll get a tight chest.
    Good post, I agree.

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man
    Not if you don't have one to begin with.
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Mets

RIP Zyzz- "forever mirin"

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Try doing some cable exercises in addition to the regular DB/BB presses and flyes. Cables exercises seem to have an intangible quality for "shaping" and "hardening" the pecs. That has been my experience. I could speculate on the science, but I'll leave at that has been my experience.
    Defiant, you've explained it well many times, I think most guys here understand where you're coming from... at least I do.

I think first and foremost if someone's chest seems "flabby" then it's usually a case lowering body fat. But once they've done that, for maximum chest stimulation, and I challenged people on a recent thread to explain to me why it's pointless, stretch and peak contraction exercises like DB flyes and cable crossovers, respectively, are an excellent addition to anyone's chest routine.

It's interesting how someone will ask about targeting inner/outer chest and get shot down in flames (it's genetics, time + mass = results, etc.), but I'll bet good money a lot of those people arguing against flyes and crossovers use similar stretch and peak contraction exercises for other muscle groups to stimulate growth. For some strange reason, they refuse to believe the chest can be further stimulated this way!

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    shape = genetic
    rackpulls = food

/AJ
    neg reds on sight crew

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Incline DB presses on a 30 degree angle. If I could only do one exercise, this is it.
    I don't know either lol

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    Incline DB presses on a 30 degree angle. If I could only do one exercise, this is it.
    Can't argue with that. Anywhere between 15-30 for me. My favorite chest exercise. Another one I like that I believe is underrated is Hammer Strength bench. Of course, being a machine people will say "machines suck!" But I think it's a brilliant design. Each side moves independently like working with DBs except the path they travel through is locked in. Takes plates like a barbell so you can pile on 225lbs a side.

I've no idea why more people don't talk about it because it does an excellent job of putting stress on the pecs and allowing you to carefully concentrate on them. I sometimes do Hammer Strength bench instead of regular bench, namely because I run out of dumbbell weight but still want to isolate each side.

Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ian Charles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't know rackpulls equalled food.
    There's only one thing I hate more than working out: being skinny.

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ian Charles
    I didn't know rackpulls equalled food.
    Yeah that was a weird post.
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Mets

RIP Zyzz- "forever mirin"

Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000) Cell-Tech is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sabonis224
    Yeah that was a weird post.
    ^^

Huh
    "Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it."

Think about what you want in life. Then ask yourself what you're doing to achieve it.

bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000) bigboy15 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Can't argue with that. Anywhere between 15-30 for me. My favorite chest exercise. Another one I like that I believe is underrated is Hammer Strength bench. Of course, being a machine people will say "machines suck!" But I think it's a brilliant design. Each side moves independently like working with DBs except the path they travel through is locked in. Takes plates like a barbell so you can pile on 225lbs a side.

I've no idea why more people don't talk about it because it does an excellent job of putting stress on the pecs and allowing you to carefully concentrate on them. I sometimes do Hammer Strength bench instead of regular bench, namely because I run out of dumbbell weight but still want to isolate each side.
    Yeah I love the hammer strenth machine benches. I use the incline one quite a bit and the gains I make seem to transfer to incline bench press extremely well.

Laying the Smackdown. Rocky_Maivia's Avatar
    Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Rocky_Maivia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

Yes those Hammer strength machines are quite good. They force your elbows closer as you push the weight up. You get a similar chest contraction to peck deck, all while pressing huge weights.
    neg reds on sight crew

eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DB side raises
    DB front raises
    military press
    upright rows

keep the reps a bit higher than 6-8 and hopefully that will help you shape those muscles, good luck

Registered User ultraMagnetical's Avatar
    ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50) ultraMagnetical will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by eatingmachine
    DB side raises
    DB front raises
    military press
    upright rows

keep the reps a bit higher than 6-8 and hopefully that will help you shape those muscles, good luck

WTF??? FOR CHEST?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you're not going to shape it, shape is genetic

u can add mass though

good movements are the basics - benching (incline/flat/decline bb/db) and dipping (leaning-forward)

Originally Posted by Rocky_Maivia
    rackpulls = food

/AJ

huh?????????????????

oh, you probably meant rackpulls = good, not food
    <->

eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eatingmachine has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ultraMagnetical
    WTF??? FOR CHEST?
    i read it wrong, my mistake!!

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rocky_Maivia
    shape = genetic
    rackpulls = food

/AJ
    LOL.

harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) harrisjl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Incline bench, flat bench, decline bench, flys.... stick mainly with free weights, incorporate some cable work, and throw in some machine work as well (Hammer Strength rocks) A typical wo for me would be 4 free weight exercises, 2 cable exercises, and one machine exercise....
    NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!

screw everybody but the canes and the oil ;)

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    LOL.
    <->

PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50) PureMotivation will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Flat, Incline, and Decline Fly's have worked wonders for my chest. Until about 5 months ago I rarely did these excercises but now have incorporated them each of them into my chest routine and my chest has gained size and definition.

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most of you missed the point entirely. He said his chest is 'flabby'... it's not about 'flyes' or crap, it's about losing weight.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree with many of the posts above. Lose some weight and build some size. But since you don't workout at the moment you should lead into it slowly. You can't just start at the gym doing 5 chest exercises and expect to see results. You'll be sore as a *$&$ and your body will hit overtraining straight away.

You should start with an all over body workout 3 times a week to get your body ready for a more serious workout. Do that for a few weeks and then when you're no longer seeing results split your routine into specific body parts. Then you can start doing 2 or 3 then 3 or 4 chest exercises.