Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    so you bumped a super old thread from 2007 because you found a cool new toy!

The best way to find your 1RM and 5RM is to do it.

Those calculators could tell you your max squat is 1000kgs but until you do it's all BULL****!
    I was promoting an article I wrote on how to actually test your one rep max, so that when people do a search they'll find it more easily. I've actually bumped several threads in each of the main forums, which seemed better than starting a new one.

I couldn't agree more about the calculators, although they can be helpful when estimating how much to test it with.
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) demike has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dannyswo View Post
    Since I work out at home without a spotter, I use the calculator to see if I'm in the ballpark before attempting a heavier weight. I don't see much point in a one rep set, so I'll take a weight I'm lifting 10 times, and see what I should be able to lift 5 times.
    I have a power rack, best investment I made in my home gym. BUT even without one you should be able to estimate if you can handle the next rep of a certain weight or not. IMO of course.
    Have you done something today to take yourself to the next level?

Always thinking of making $$ crew

Help Others. Be Humble. Life is Great.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bango skank View Post
    Well written post, but most people reading it will just want a link to the calculator so they can compile their e-stats.

And for people who are training for bodybuilding, not powerlifting, I really don't see the point of working off a max that they're not going to test often or at all. Makes more sense to work off something more practical, something they might test regularly, like a 5RM.

All I do is use what I have lifted before as a starting point for heavier attempts. If I lift it easily then I'll either increase the weight for the next set or come back the next week and try to lift more until I find it. When I do, that's my ?RM.

Sure beats "virtual lifting."