Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Why drink one gallon of water a day?

I've looked around the forum for this answer, but can't find it: why does everyone swear by drinking a gallon of water each day? The recommended daily amount is 64 oz. (8 glasses of 8 oz. each), but, wherever I turn, there's always someone on the forum discussing how they drank their gallon of water that day, OF COURSE, as if it would be assumed that such a thing was occuring. Can someone help me here and explain where this theory came from? Thanks!-----PC
    Generic Signature

Shiv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how much is that in litres?

.Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .Kiw.Da.Wabbit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Approximately 4 liters.

EDIT: More like 3.8.

Shiv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ye i drink around that much water
    apparently wen ure body warms up the water inside it burns calories

koreanFURY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Besides flushing our your kidneys and entire digestive system, hydrating your body, and brain, thereby allowing your metabolism to function more effectively, and just making for a nicer skin tone and appearance, drinking more water causes you to release more water through excretion, thereby dropping "water retention".
    "koreans aren't just meant to be smart and skinny, they can get big too" - me

-work hard in the gym, work harder in the kitchen

Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The "gallon of water" is more of a general gauge than a specific amount. Some drink more, some drink less. The important thing is to keep your body well hydrated.

I just drink when I'm thirsty throughout the day. I've determined it to be about a gallon and a half on most days.

There is no "rule" about a gallon. Whatever works best for you.

Registered baller checkyourhead's Avatar
    checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PermanentChange
    I've looked around the forum for this answer, but can't find it: why does everyone swear by drinking a gallon of water each day? The recommended daily amount is 64 oz. (8 glasses of 8 oz. each), but, wherever I turn, there's always someone on the forum discussing how they drank their gallon of water that day, OF COURSE, as if it would be assumed that such a thing was occuring. Can someone help me here and explain where this theory came from? Thanks!-----PC
    You need more water when you eat more protein, and more when you exercise. Thus, most people on here need more than the average joe.

JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoPe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by koreanFURY
    Besides flushing our your kidneys and entire digestive system, hydrating your body, and brain, thereby allowing your metabolism to function more effectively, and just making for a nicer skin tone and appearance, drinking more water causes you to release more water through excretion, thereby dropping "water retention".

This sums it up nicely.

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Koreanfury has hit the nail on the head. Someone else mentioned that it has to warm up and that burns calories and thats also correct. You mentioned its recommended to drink 64oz per day, and thats for any and everyone. If you lift, do cardio, sweat, eat more than normal, and take supps, you need more water. So someone like me needs well over a gallon per day. I keep track by 1/2ltr bottles and cups. Today so far I have drank 14 bottles and 16 cups. Close to 3 gallons, and thats no joke. I always get well over 2 gallons per day. It helps me while cutting to drop the excess water, and burn tons of fat. The colder the water, the more it has to warm up, and the more calories burned. I suggest you drink your gallon if not more.

noslolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a friend that went to a personal trainer and he told her not to drink her water cold because it would slow down her metabolism (sp?) any truth to that?
    July 11 300 lbs
    July 18 295 lbs
    July 25 291 lbs
    Aug 1 288 lbs
    I went on vacation to the beach! Great time, not so good for the eating habits
    Aug 15 289 lbs (not as bad as I thought it would be)
    Aug 22 285
    Aug 29 284
    Sept 5 284 Rough couple of weeks!
    Sept 12 280 Back on Track!
    Sept 20 279
    Oct 10 276
    Oct 17 274

PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PermanentChange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gymratluke
    Today so far I have drank 14 bottles and 16 cups. Close to 3 gallons, and thats no joke. I always get well over 2 gallons per day. It helps me while cutting to drop the excess water, and burn tons of fat. The colder the water, the more it has to warm up, and the more calories burned. I suggest you drink your gallon if not more.
    So, what you're saying is that drinking that much water won't stay with you (i.e. water retention), but, rather, will help you clean out your system more effectively? I see, now, the theory behind more water intake for those who exercise more, but is there ever a time when too much water would work against you?
    Generic Signature

Registered Something devil_s haircut's Avatar
    devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devil_s haircut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well, if you were an endurance athlete (running a triathalon or marathon), drinking too much water can actually kill you (though the chances are slim). You lose salt in your sweat, especially if you aren't drinking something like gatorade to replace the salt. The lack of salt will interfer with brain, heart, and muscle function.

It's called "hyponatremia".

Location: Lazy student, 19, from Sunny England, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250) micky c has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by noslolo
    I had a friend that went to a personal trainer and he told her not to drink her water cold because it would slow down her metabolism (sp?) any truth to that?
    no
    whatever people say i am, thats what i'm not

Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Someone told me they always have ice in their water because the body burns more calories bringing the temp up. A little research on the net and I found a study that said it may burn an extra 1-2 pounds a year.

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I put back about 6-8 liters of water sitting at work. I drink more before and after, but I don't track it as well...

Future nutritionist The Godfatha's Avatar
    The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Godfatha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Be-Be
    Someone told me they always have ice in their water because the body burns more calories bringing the temp up. A little research on the net and I found a study that said it may burn an extra 1-2 pounds a year.
    I think that any metabolism icnrease is negligible if not non-existant as I highly doubt they would have been able to run a trial where people were pretty much living their lives exactly the same other than some drinking room temp water and others drinking iced water. Even if they did I don't think its worth the hassle for 2 pounds a year though if you like it iced then keep on drinking it that way.

I think everyone has made valid points about hydration requirements and I think that general guides are useful but the best indicator is your own body so drink enough water to make sure your urine is always pretty much clear that way you know your body is hydrated and is not having to implement measures to conserve water (i.e. ADH release).

Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Be-Be has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    [QUOTE=The Godfatha]I think that any metabolism icnrease is negligible if not non-existant as I highly doubt they would have been able to run a trial where people were pretty much living their lives exactly the same other than some drinking room temp water and others drinking iced water. Even if they did I don't think its worth the hassle for 2 pounds a year though if you like it iced then keep on drinking it that way. [QUOTE]

Guess I should have included the rolling eyes smilie - I wasn't advocating it but commenting on how ridiculous it was. The previous post was regarding not drinking it cold because it would slow metabolism.

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Be-Be
    Guess I should have included the rolling eyes smilie - I wasn't advocating it but commenting on how ridiculous it was. The previous post was regarding not drinking it cold because it would slow metabolism.
    It's simple thermo. ~6.6 kCalories to heat up a liter of water from freezing to bodytemp. That's only 530 gallons of water to drop 1 pound of fat...

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So, what you're saying is that drinking that much water won't stay with you (i.e. water retention), but, rather, will help you clean out your system more effectively? I see, now, the theory behind more water intake for those who exercise more, but is there ever a time when too much water would work against you?
    Basically it goes like this, your body is very smart, and from the begining of time, it has created mechanisms that make sure it will survive, e.i. fat stage, water storage, forthe times when water and food are not available. When its readily available, it gets the point and releases the excess. So when you drink tons of water, your body gets rid of all that the water it can and still function normally. Same with food, not only does eating frequently have a thermal effect, helping burn calories, but your body knows that its going to keep getting food constantly so it will beginin to use your fat more efficiently for energy to rid of what it does not need. But remember, your body want to keep a certain amount so dont expect that eating every 2 hours is going to help much weightloss wise after you are down under 11% because thats ideal for your body to function. Hope that all makes sense.

Originally Posted by The Godfatha
    ...drink enough water to make sure your urine is always pretty much clear that way you know your body is hydrated and is not having to implement measures to conserve water (i.e. ADH release).
    That's what I've heard before and I think that it's an EXCELLENT rule of thumb. I have found, through my own trial and errors, that if I drink at least 96 oz. of water (roughly 3/4 of a gallon), then my urine comes out nice and clear. Of course, more water if I'm exercising, but I believe that I'll definitely keep my minimum at 96 oz.
    Generic Signature

Registered User collegelifter85's Avatar
    collegelifter85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) collegelifter85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) collegelifter85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) collegelifter85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) collegelifter85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cleans out ur system and puts naturally made creatine into your muscles. most of all... it prevents dehydration

and to that guy above cold water speeds up ur metabolism.

RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The 8 glasses of 8 oz. is for your average desk jockey couch potato. While bodybuilding your body requires more care. I drink 1.5-2 gallons a day. It also keeps you away from those soft drinks and juices that are calorie dense.

Originally Posted by RockyIV
    The 8 glasses of 8 oz. is for your average desk jockey couch potato. While bodybuilding your body requires more care. I drink 1.5-2 gallons a day. It also keeps you away from those soft drinks and juices that are calorie dense.
    I've been doing the 64-96 oz. for the last seven months and just started the gallon of water today. Refresh my memory: how long before I stop residing at the bathroom urinal on a full-time basis?
    Generic Signature

HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50) HatesFat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nithos
    I put back about 6-8 liters of water sitting at work. I drink more before and after, but I don't track it as well...
    Holy mother of..... how do you not drown???

Registered baller checkyourhead's Avatar
    checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) checkyourhead is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been doing the 64-96 oz. for the last seven months and just started the gallon of water today. Refresh my memory: how long before I stop residing at the bathroom urinal on a full-time basis?
    You need to wait until your bladder gets bigger. Try holding it(not too long of course, you don't want any problems) a few times, and you should find you are soon able to hold more water.

Today I drank 16 bottles and 18 cups, thats like 415 oz. YEAH!

norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10) norishinghgh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What would be the maximum litres of water consumed in one day? I'm guessing juices, sodas, milk aren't included.

RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RockyIV has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You get used to it. Also, just keep sipping on the water if possible and try not to chug it in intervals. When you chug a bunch it makes you go to the bathroom. You have the right idea about slowly working the water up and not introducing 2 gal a day at once.

Bumped, for all the noobs out there...
    Generic Signature

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by noslolo
    I love the rep most personal trainers are giving to the rest of us. I bet that same personal trainer thinks eating fat makes you fat.

P.S. Most personal trainers don't know jack about nutrition - hence they're not nutritionists or dieticians.

But back to the topic, just make sure you don't drink too much water. At a time I was drinking close to 3 gallons a day (long days of course) and then I read studies about overhydrations and swelling of the brain. But 1-2 gallons a day is fine for 99% of us.
    I've still got a lot to learn.