littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Rowing and Weight Lifting

I've got a problem.....I'm on a rowing team and I either row or use an erg(rowing machine) five times a week. If you aren't familiar with rowing, you use your legs for like 80% of the movement. Each workout is like doing 500 really light leg presses. How can I workout my legs and still row well without overtraining?!

peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rowing appears to be a very strenuous activity. You should be in good shape. That's good. Not knowing anything else about your schedule, you may have to achieve your size and strength goals outside of your season. Most athletes have to deal with in season training. It's not very condusive to a bodybuilding lifestyle.

littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50) littlekid will become famous soon enough. (+50)

season too long

Heh...our season is from the second or so week of school until a couple week before school is out. Then there's "optional" (you're encouraged to go) practice in the summer. So the season is year round....sucks for bulking, cuz it's really hard cardio.

peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000) peterb is just really nice. (+1000)
    I bet you'll have a better physique that 99% of people at your school though.

ryanrmh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

buying rowing machine

what do you people think about buying a rowing machine? i'm getting my basement finished so we have room for a small home gym. im thinking of getting a rowing machine. good idea? bad idea? how good of a workout do they provide?

i was thinking of getting a used one, cheaper. comments, advice would be appreciated.

i'm 16 years old if that helps, and usually run for cardio, just looking for variety

Ryan

Banned user87745477315471972481's Avatar
    user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    man that is in no way cardio, and also, cardio won't affect you while bulking, it might even help you (If you do just a bit of it).

Also, rowing in the gym and rowing a boat are completely different things.

Rowing in gym requires your back.

Also, your legs would never get tired becasue I used to run 7x a week and still worked my legs hardcore, so beleive me that work you're doing with your legs isn't worth anything.

alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes I know how you feel, it does suck for bulking. I only head race in the fall, because I row for Michigan tech, but what I did was just eat everything in sight. If you are hungry just eat, and I was still able to put on one pound during the season. Plus once it ends, just hit the gym really hard.
    "With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you"-Ghengis Khan

"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."-Ghengis Khan (again cause he is the man)

alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) alpha_rower_1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by user87745477315471972481 View Post
    man that is in no way cardio, and also, cardio won't affect you while bulking, it might even help you (If you do just a bit of it).

Also, your legs would never get tired becasue I used to run 7x a week and still worked my legs hardcore, so beleive me that work you're doing with your legs isn't worth anything.
    You know nothing of rowing do you, rowing in the gym, and in a boat uses back. Do you even know what a racing shell looks like. You probably don't because you probably do not realize that there are slides in boat. Finally the motion for rowing and the motion for running are completely different, unless you are running hills on sprints (doubtful) you should not speak.
    "With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you"-Ghengis Khan

"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."-Ghengis Khan (again cause he is the man)

Originally Posted by ryanrmh View Post
    what do you people think about buying a rowing machine? i'm getting my basement finished so we have room for a small home gym. im thinking of getting a rowing machine. good idea? bad idea? how good of a workout do they provide?

i was thinking of getting a used one, cheaper. comments, advice would be appreciated.

i'm 16 years old if that helps, and usually run for cardio, just looking for variety

Ryan
    Personally I hate ergs, but that is because I would much rather row out on the water than on a machine, but if you are looking for some good low impact cardio, that will help your whole body, I would say go for it get a rowing machine. Personally I like the new concept 2's, but they are a little pricey. If you want some variation, I like biking and have heard cross country skiing is another great option.

reconsniper93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    We would do our lifting workouts after our ergs. Usually on days we didn't do a long steady state. They were circuit style, but I was able to adapt one that can be done purely in a power rack and with free weights. If you'd like I post it. Right now I'm doing my circuits twice a week-the circuits are high rep (30+) at about 40-50% 1RM, and for a third day of lifting I do heavy weights for a 5x5 workout in the core free weight exercises and on leg press.

As far as erging being great cardio-IT IS! Figure that when you run, you only use your legs and as such your heart only has to pump blood to your legs. When rowing you use several large muscles including the legs and back, so in order for your heart to handle that stress it has to adapt and thus get BRUTALLY FIT. Calorie wise, you can sit on an erg, pull a 2:00/ 500m split (horrendously easy if your a a male in any type of shape) and burn 1000 calories in an hour. Also don't be the retard that puts the fan on 10 and thinks they're working harder, you'll just ruin your back. Keep settings on 3-5, i.e. 4-> it most simulates the water.

scottdwyer98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been rowing for four years now and I found that the best workouts to do to build strength in your legs are squats, deadlifts and hamstring curls. Add lots of jumpees to that list and you'll be rowing like a champ in no time!

scottdwyer98 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you can afford it get it! In my opinion it is one of the best cardio options you can do while still getting a full body exercise.

tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100) tinytim1 is not very well liked. (-100)

Im sorry, but did you seriously just say rowing isn't cardio?
    Goonsquad forums

Comp pr's
    197.5/125/220
    430/275/485

Gym pr's:
    210/130/230-no belt
    462/286/506-no belt

Powerlifter at PTC Eltham

mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattd534 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Guys come on he doesn't know what rowing is because in Russia all there rivers are frozen along with his brain !!!
    Look at all that Snap City Action!!!!!!

nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nikefighter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Personally, i'd prioritise your leg workouts before your rowing sessions. That's what I did . Most of rowing is aerobic anyway (2k's are about 80% aerobic) so as long as you can still fit in some long ergs during the week you should get better. If you're just looking to get better at rowing though, you don't really need to be strong (only need like a 1RM of your bodyweight), just really fit.